Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2003 5:33:11 PM EDT
I'm interested to see all 50, I'm just too lazy to look them all up myself.

So here's Indiana's. I'm including the preamble, just because I like it:

Constitution of the State of Indiana

PREAMBLE

TO THE END, that justice be established, public order maintained, and liberty perpetuated; WE, the People of the State of Indiana, grateful to ALMIGHTY GOD for the free exercise of the right to choose our own form of government, do ordain this Constitution.

Article 1, Section 32

The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
PREAMBLE

Grateful to Almighty God for life and liberty, we, the people of Utah, in order to secure and

perpetuate the principles of free government, do ordain and establish this CONSTITUTION.

ARTICLE I

DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Sec. 6. [Right to bear arms.] The people have the right to bear arms for their security and defense, but the Legislature may regulate the exercise of this right by law.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Florida:

SECTION 8.  Right to bear arms.--

(a)  The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.

(b)  There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun. For the purposes of this section, "purchase" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and "handgun" means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to the provisions of this paragraph.

(c)  The legislature shall enact legislation implementing subsection (b) of this section, effective no later than December 31, 1991, which shall provide that anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of a felony.

(d)  This restriction shall not apply to a trade in of another handgun.

History.--Am. C.S. for S.J.R. 43, 1989; adopted 1990.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohio Constitution

[b]Preamble[/b]
We, the people of the State of Ohio, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings and promote our common welfare, do establish this Constitution.

[b]Article 1, Section 4[/b]
The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah right...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
2nd what?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Tennessee

Section 26:  The the citizens of this state have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Sounds like a direct violation of the 2nd ammendment to me.  All we have to do is look up the definition of infringe and this is an infringement.  I mean, all state constitutions are subordinate to the U.S. Constitution.  Second, the bill of rights enumerates the rights of the individuals, not the states.  No where in the U.S. constitution does it say that the individual states may over ride the bill of rights.  Therefor, our state constitution is in and of itself unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
PsyWarrior, at the risk of starting another Civil War, I believe States' rights supercede the Union.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
PREAMBLE

We, the people of the State of North Carolina, grateful to Almighty God, the Sovereign Ruler of Nations, for the preservation of the American Union and the existence of our civil, political and religious liberties, and acknowledging our dependence upon Him for the continuance of those blessings to us and our posterity, do, for the more certain security thereof and for the better government of this State, ordain and establish this Constitution.

ARTICLE I

DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Constitution of Virginia
Article I - Bill of Rights

Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Connecticut State Constitution

Article I: Section 15:

Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Pennsylvania:

WE, the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance, do ordain and establish this Constitution.

Article 1 - Declaration of Rights

Section 21
Right to Bear Arms

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd be happy to post Kalifornia's... but we don't have anything like it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania:

Section 21
Right to Bear Arms

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
View Quote

You beat me to it.  I think Pennsylvania has one of the most beautiful statments on the RKBA because it says  "defense of themselves...  ...shall not be questioned".  This short circuits a lot of BS.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Article 1, Section 26 in the Alabama State Constitution - "That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state."

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I moved here recently, shoulda' done it 20 years ago.  Idaho's constitution's RKBA section is like an oasis after 20 years in the PRK.  Here it is...

[red]SECTION 11.  RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. The people have the right to
keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision
shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons
concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing
minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm,
nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the
possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any
legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure,
registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms
or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms,
except those actually used in the commission of a felony.[/red]

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PsyWarrior, at the risk of starting another Civil War, I believe States' rights supercede the Union.
View Quote

I think the 14th amanedment to the US (federal) constitution trumps states rights in many cases.  This is also why Kalifornia should be spelled with a K (and PRJN too)

Article. XIV.

Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and
subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and
of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law
which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United
States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or
property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its
jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Edited to say 'some cases' and abuse KA and PRNJ.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#19]
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE 1  DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SECTION 1.  All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights.  Among these are enjoying and [b]defending life and liberty[/b], acquiring, possessing, and [b]protecting property[/b], and pursuing and [b]obtaining safety[/b], happiness, and privacy.

With those being enumerated RIGHTS in the DPRK, further reading of our constitution you will discover no RKBA whatsoever to back up those RIGHTS.  I guess they figure the State will do that for you.  [BS]

We do however have this gem:

Section 25.  The people shall have the right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State; provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season when and the conditions under which the different species of fish may be taken.

[banghead] [img]http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_cussing.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Section 13. Right to bear arms.
Statute text

The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the State, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing  individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

Article 1 Section 24
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#22]
California

We, your elected Liberal representatives, will fuck you at the drive through. We will fuck you at the gasoline station. And we will fuck all gun-owners and their rights.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Bill of Rights
Sec. 4.   The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are danger-
ous to liberty, and shall not be tolerated, and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

U.S. Constitution, Article VI, cl. 2:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, [b] shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. [/b]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Constitution of the Confederate States
Section IX, cl. 13:

A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

U.S. Constitution, Article VI, cl. 2:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, [b] shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. [/b]

View Quote

I know.  That's why I wrote, "I believe"
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
California

We, your elected Liberal representatives, will fuck you at the drive through. We will fuck you at the gasoline station. And we will fuck all gun-owners and their rights.
View Quote

Is that in the section concerning the proper civil intercourse between the citizen and the government?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#28]
[b]Constution of the State of Nebraska
Article 1
Statement of Rights
CT 1
All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of the property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.[/b]

I'm still trying to figure out what part of this does not allow us (the governed) to carry concealed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#30]
WI

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, recreation, or any other lawful purpose.

Section 25, 1998
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Article I, Section 25 (Nov '98) of the Wisconsin State Constitution:

[i]The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.[/i]

Of course we have NO CCW law...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#32]

New Hampshire:

Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.]. All persons have the right to keep and bear                                       arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

December l, 1982
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Oklahoma

Section II-26: Bearing arms - Carrying weapons.
 The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his
home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power, when
thereunto legally summoned, shall never be prohibited; but
nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from
regulating the carrying of weapons.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Kentucky:
The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

Kentucky has a Must Issue CCW by the way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Eugene Volokh posted a listing for all 50 states:

[url]http://www1.law.ucla.edu/~volokh/beararms/statecon.htm[/url]

According to this page, there are six states with no constitutional guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms: California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York.

New York DOES have a law guaranteeing this right, but since it is a law, not a constitutional provision, it can be repealed by the legislature and overridden by subsequent laws. And it has been overridden quite a bit.

[url]http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=17&a=3[/url]

Civil Rights, Article 2 (Bill of Rights), Section 4: "Right  to  keep  and  bear arms.  A well regulated militia being necessary to the security  of  a  free  state,  the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed."

[edited to make the links live]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#37]
IL: "Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top