Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 6:02:45 PM EDT
After a good day this just gets under my skin.  No offense to any postal guys, but this guy just plain pissed me off.  I can understand not knowing if a dog is going to bite you, but this just seemed a bit on the outrageous side to me...maybe I'm wrong.  

The guy rings my bell tonite (prob the end of his shift since it's 5:45) and my German Shepherd runs to the locked (and very strong) front door barking.  It has a glass section so he can clearly see the dog.  I follow behind her and give her the command to relax, which she immediately does as a well trained guard dog.  I open the door with her sitting behind me nice and quiet and take the guys paper to sign.  The dog is 3 ft. from the door, with me blocking her entire path.  He starts walking to his truck to get my package and turns to shout "you need to get ahold of that agressive dog or I will not deliver to your address again".  I nicely reply she's just fine and sitting here waiting for the package too because it has fresh rawhide.  He takes 2 steps back towards the house and said "you come out onto the porch when I get back" (I was in the doorway).  So I said no problem.  He brings my box back, I go on the porch & close the door behind me.  He hands me the box & then grabbs it back saying he needs to take down the numbers.  Ok cool, no problem.  He then asked me why I had the "stupid and bewildered look on my face when I told you to get ahold of your agressive dog".  Well I must have given him another look because that started a round of what's your problem.  Anyway, at the end I nicely told him thanks and have a nice rest of your evening (I don't think I sounded sarcastic at all) and he promptly told me to "fuck off".

Good grief, my dog barked at the door bell & was promptly respectful when I told her to relax; exactly what I trained my GSD to do.

So I'm thinking I'll call my post office and tell them to never deliver to me again, I'll simply pick up any package at the post office.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Fug im
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Call and complain.  There's no way for them to know what their employees are doing without being told.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Let your dog eat him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
After a good day this just gets under my skin.  No offense to any postal guys, but this guy just plain pissed me off.  I can understand not knowing if a dog is going to bite you, but this just seemed a bit on the outrageous side to me...maybe I'm wrong.  

The guy rings my bell tonite (prob the end of his shift since it's 5:45) and my German Shepherd runs to the locked (and very strong) front door barking.  It has a glass section so he can clearly see the dog.  I follow behind her and give her the command to relax, which she immediately does as a well trained guard dog.  I open the door with her sitting behind me nice and quiet and take the guys paper to sign.  The dog is 3 ft. from the door, with me blocking her entire path.  He starts walking to his truck to get my package and turns to shout "you need to get ahold of that agressive dog or I will not deliver to your address again".  I nicely reply she's just fine and sitting here waiting for the package too because it has fresh rawhide.  He takes 2 steps back towards the house and said "you come out onto the porch when I get back" (I was in the doorway).  So I said no problem.  He brings my box back, I go on the porch & close the door behind me.  He hands me the box & then grabbs it back saying he needs to take down the numbers.  Ok cool, no problem.  He then asked me why I had the "stupid and bewildered look on my face when I told you to get ahold of your agressive dog".  Well I must have given him another look because that started a round of what's your problem.  Anyway, at the end I nicely told him thanks and have a nice rest of your evening (I don't think I sounded sarcastic at all) and he promptly told me to "fuck off".

Good grief, my dog barked at the door bell & was promptly respectful when I told her to relax; exactly what I trained my GSD to do.

So I'm thinking I'll call my post office and tell them to never deliver to me again, I'll simply pick up any package at the post office.

What were you thinking...

Draw Down!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If he truly told you to "fuck off" then I would be calling tonight to have a report taken. That is just beyond uncalled for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Call the postmaster. That type of behavior is untolerable from anyone. I don't care how bad of a day you had. You don't take it out on other people.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes his "" words were verbatum.  I'm thinking he was a fill in because he wasn't familiar to me (and I work from home, get package somewhat often, and have never had this problem before).  I'll take the advise and file a complaint right away.  If nothing else it'll get me on the list for next time when he opens my back gate and the dog does eat him!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have tripped him with a hand thrown soccer/basket ball.here

Rob
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the wife is now home & just got told the story.  She doesn't just want to complain on the 800 number, she wants to go to the post office station tomorrow to find the postmaster in person.  I doubt they work on Saturday, but was then told by the boss that Monday will be fine if he's not there tomorrow......yikes now I see where the dog gets her bark from!  Anyway, I feel better now
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
if the guy (mail man) wasnt such a pecker i'd stick up for him.

ive been a cable guy for over ten years and ive been bitten and almost bitten many time by people who say their dogs are "really just tryin to play" or they are real friendly and would never hurt anyone. now, if i go to a house with a dog big enough to break skin then you HAVE to put him/her up or im not working.
my favorite was "hes chained up and cant reach you", as the biggest rotty broke the rusty old chain and chased me around the yard. (long story short i got to the house and got my tools while people got dog re-rusty chained, and i left without hooking up their cable. if they wouldnt have laughed while i was running in absolute terror, i would have finished the job.)

a guy i used to work with got fired for something like this too. typical story, cable guy in a not so nice neighbor hood doing an install for a young couple, (who really shouldnt have been living there, but thats another story) and of course the pitbull mix that was barking and carrying on when he knocked on the door. well he told them to put the dog up so he culd work without being bothered. wife comes out to talk to the tech in the yard and as she goes back to the house little girl opens up the door and big dog charges him. so he did what i would have done, he knocked the dogs brains across the yard (literally), with an 20 oz est wing hammer, in front of the little girl, and her mom. yet the cops said the dog would have tore my buddy up, he got fired for protecting himself.

so, moral of this story is your mail man sucks but he does kinda have a point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
if the guy (mail man) wasnt such a pecker i'd stick up for him.

ive been a cable guy for over ten years and ive been bitten and almost bitten many time by people who say their dogs are "really just tryin to play" or they are real friendly and would never hurt anyone. now, if i go to a house with a dog big enough to break skin then you HAVE to put him/her up or im not working.
my favorite was "hes chained up and cant reach you", as the biggest rotty broke the rusty old chain and chased me around the yard. (long story short i got to the house and got my tools while people got dog re-rusty chained, and i left without hooking up their cable. if they wouldnt have laughed while i was running in absolute terror, i would have fineshed the job.)

a guy i used to work with got fired for something like this too. typical story, cable guy in a not so nice neighbor hood doing an install for a young couple, (who really shouldnt have been living there, but thats another story) and of course the pitbull mix that was barking and carrying on when he knocked on the door. well he told them to put the dog up so he culd work without being bothered. wife comes out to talk to the tech in the yard and as she goes back to the house little girl opens up the door and big dog charges him. so he did what i would have done, he knocked the dogs brains across the yard (literally), with an 20 oz est wing hammer, in front of the little girl, and her mom. yet the cops said the dog would have tore my buddy up, he got fired for protecting himself.

so, moral of this story is your mail man sucks but he does kinda have a point.

I can very easily see your point here and agree with ya.  And in my case, if he would have said he didn't feel comfortable with my door being open I would have stepped onto the porch and closed the door without another thought.  What got me was his attitude and constant use of "agressive dog" when she was sitting inside the house not making a peep after I opened the door for him.  To me it's as if he was setting something up, it just felt weird.  She barked at the doorbell and responded immediately to my command to relax...maybe that's agressive these days LOL.  

For me, I would never let her "play" with any strangers because she is a very good guard dog and wouldn't hesitate to take someones hand for tug of war; that's why I make her stay back from the door and not be allowed to stick her nose out.  I dunno, I'm a good citizen and very understanding, ect if you just approach me with some respect.  Back to the evening drink
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Call and have him removed from your route.  That behavior is not acceptable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a suspension for an offense like that.   Be sure to report it.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
h
For whatever reason the dog darted out under the owners grasp and tried to rip my calf muscle off.  If the guy had been bit before, possibly by the same breed can you really blame him for over reacting?  He might have also been attacked "had a dog charge him" earlier in the day

I now have a torn upper bicep tendon thanks to Sammy the ever friendly and well trained doberman charging me, result was I ran into the street almost was hit by a car fell instead and tore the hell outta my shoulder.

You may very well be the most responsible dog owner in the world but 95% of the world has there head firmly in there ass, and they will not take any responsibility for their own actions much less their pets.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Suspension??????? what planet do you live on?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Next time you are missing something, like ............a TAX RETURN CHECK............ask your self is it lost or is it the"asshole" you just cursed out. One more thing a "lost" crdit card bill could cost you how much in late charges???? Think about it, is it worth it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Call the local post master and report the carrier.  They keep records of who delivers each route and will be able to track down the offending carrier.  That kind of behavior is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Call the postmaster, however keep in mind that 90% of the people with "aggressive dogs" do nothing to control them.

I've had 80+lbs dogs jump all over me and the owners say "oh he's just a big love bug!" Sorry, but dogs that display uncommanded aggression leave me cold.

On a funny note, one time I went to someone's house and their little dog started yipping behind the screen door (main door was open) YIP! YIP! YIPPYIPP! etc. As I watched, the main door slowly swung shut...and pinned the little yipper upright between the screen and the door!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#20]
It sure is, i'd make sure the post off never delivers another letter to that guy's house again. Remove his address from the planet completely, Now what will he do?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#21]
You can call the Postmaster or Postal OIG. So, you're paying taxes so that he can tell you to "F" off?

If it was a one time deal, I'd probably let it go. However, if the guy is that angry, then he might be angry enough to 'lose' your mail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Update:  I had a nice chat with the station manager this morning.  He expressed his concern over the behavior of the carrier and his "people skills".  It was explained to me that he did have a run in with a nasty dog a few years ago and since then has been very nervous around places with dogs.  I then told the station manager that I would be happy to pick up all packages at the station and he didn't need to even attempt delivery, especially because as the summer approaches my dog will be in the back yard often and will bark at anyone approaching my house.  The manager said that was unnecessary and he would make sure things got squared away, and if any more trouble was encountered to please contact him.  Case closed.

Oh, and I don't get tax refund checks or credit card bills  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top