Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 6:55:07 PM EDT
I'm about to put an ATN 5x33L scope on my A2 (still looking for a B-square for under $50, but BTT...), and I've decided that my shots through the scope will probably be slightly easier to "call" if my recoil was a bit lower.  My rifle isn't an HBAR, so it's fairly light and tends to be slightly unstable compared to heavier AR's, so for of an investment at/under $50, I'm putting a muzzle brake and a lead buttstock wedge on my rifle.

I realize the change in recoil won't be remarkable with the muzzle brake installed, but I'm willing to accept any decrease for a VERY small amount of cash that they cost.  My concern is, with my post-ban AR, I'm somewhat limited in my options for a flash suppressor.  Sure, I'd love a wicked Vortex/Phantom, but I'll accept a tacky looking AK or Y-Comp brake since they're one of my only options.

For under $40, what is the best post-ban muzzle brake I can get?  I know I'll probably have to turn the upper into a gunsmith so that he can drill taper holes (another hassle with post-bans), but I'm willing to do whatever it takes.  I also heard around the grapevine that Mini Y-Comps were loud as sin, and whatever I choose I'd rather not have my rifle sounding like an M14 at the expense merely of my ears.

Any suggestions?  As always, I appreciate (blah blah blah).

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the AK brake, it works and even reduces flash.  Y-comps are indeed the luodest thing you've EVER heard, had one and threw it away due to noise.  Full isze Y-comps are no better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot 2 weeks ago at the range with a guy about 10 ft. away from me who had a carbine with an AK brake on it.  Didn't look "too" bad, but the sound honestly wasn't all that bad.  Function over Form, I suppose.  I'll consider the AK brake as one option, thanks.

*Cough* Your turn, Lew [:D]
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Wilson has a muzzle brake that vaguely resembles an A2 flash hider.  Just so you know, Jewbroni, if it is a post ban it must have an approved muzzle brake, no flash hiders allowed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I know the law.  I also know that "flash suppressors" and "muzzle brakes" server the same serviceable function, but that they are classified differently for legality issues.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If you ever want to shoot CMP with it,
leave it alone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, in fact I do want to shoot CMP with it.  Correction: not with the current stock Colt upper I have now, but "possibly" with another DMC upper in the future.  I will probably NOT put a brake on my good, quality CMP upper, but given that I have a cheap but practice-effective Colt barrel now, I want to get all I can out of it.  If adding $50 for a brake helps me out, then that's probably one of the cheapest investments I can think of at the moment.

Jewbroni~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top