Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:52:21 PM EDT
Having considered "going out with a bang" and then immediately feeling separation anxiety from arfcom, I made this post for all of arfcom instead. Let me explain:

I decided to use post ten thousand today, July 4, Independence Day.
Today is the 4th, basically the defining day of the United States. What is the most "American" thing in America? Baseball? Apple pie? Un-pasturized milk? No. None of those.

The most "American" thing about 'merika *F yeah!* is the Boy Scouts of America.
Where else can you still find classic American values today? The premise of scouting is to develop character, citizenship, and personal fitness.
Arfcom should be proud of the BSA as they turn urban youts into fine upstanding citizens who know how to survive a zombie apocalypse or extinction event, with nothing more than a knife, mess kit, and stinky sleeping bag.

I am proud to have been awarded the rank of Eagle Scout. While I may not have the same culture as the rest of you mouth-breathers, the things I learned while a scout make us very much the same.

Looking at the Scout Oath, you can see how Scouting and the 4th of July are very much related. The values and ideals that the Founding Fathers held are still engrained in scouting...

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

For post tenK, I would ask that you consider supporting your local scouting council by donating a couple bucks so a scout in need can go to scout camp this summer.
http://aplacetogive.scouting.org/ will give you all the necessary information to donate to this truly American cause.

To my fellow printer repairmen, thank you for reading and Happy Independence Day!
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive been watching your other thread, and patiently waiting. It wasnt what I was expecting, but you prove a good point.

From one Eagle Scout to another, happy 4th of July.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Nicely done
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm disappointed, no boobies or vaginas.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats from a fellow Eagle Scout. Scouting is a great organization even if the kids don't make it all the way through. I forget but I think it's like only 3 or 5% of those that join actually make Eagle.
It's not easy, took me over 6 years but I did it Fuck yeah!

Now whenever we go camping with friends, my job is always to make the fire. Just to piss them off, I use a flint and steel even when it's raining. I'm getting kind of rusty though, if you asked me to do a fire by friction set from scratch.....it might take a while
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
only made it to Life.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]

congrats, OP.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent !
I was a cub scout, boy scout, eagle scout and military explorer scout, good clean fun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry to disappoint you...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
only made it to Life.

me too....its ok.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
only made it to Life.

me too....its ok.

That makes at least 3 of us.

I later found out that my 4 project proposals were denied because my parents didn't play enough Troop politics.  

ETA: also, denied entrance to the Order of the Arrow, and vetoed from becoming SPL.

Yes, I'm bitter.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to disappoint you...

You were their only hope.  Forever alone.

lol.

Surely they aren't still trying to watch the scrambled spice channel on their parents cable while in their basement fort?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]
While I never made it to Eagle Scout, I did earn the merit badge of silence.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Good post my man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top