Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 11:46:52 PM EDT
Are there any kits worth a damn? The scratches are from rolling the windows down and up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked for a kit and tried one which didnt work. Mine was from someone trying to break into my truck and were pretty deep scratches.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Rule of thumb is, if you can feel the scratch with a fingernail it's generally too deep to buff out. 

One of our suppliers can get most scratches out if they deliver a defective piece but they take it back to the factory and reheat it and have some drawn out process. 

Thats to the best of my knowledge, been at a glass company for 11 years. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You can try diamond polishes with the correct wheels and polisher. But I dont have high hopes for some of those things.

I managed to polish out some minor scratches on my old windshield with the stuff I had on hand, but it was tedious work. I spent an entire day doing, made a heck of mess, and did I mention it was a lot of work.  

My truck windows are like looking thru sand paper when the lighting is just right.  Im sure I can buff the scratches out, but im not all that enthused about doing it.  Diamond polish isnt cheap.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Had this happen to me on a WRX I owned. There was dirt in the felt or cloth material that your window slides through in the track assembly. Ended up replacing the window. Hated looking at it. Not aware of any glass polish or scratch remover, especially if you can feel the scratches. Mine were like little grooves in the window.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Mothers Mag Polish has worked pretty well for me. May not take it all out if it's deep but it will make it less noticeable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Break the window ......
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Auto geek sells a Diamondite Glass Repair kit . You can watch them use it and its incredible.  Its not going to take extreme scratches out  but I have watched people remove pitting and light scratches with it, and the glass looks new when they are done.  

They have some videos on how it works. I gotta say it seems to work well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top