Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 6:14:11 AM EDT
I was dumb enough to not only get 1 mechanical engineering degrees, but 2!  The auto market is dead or dying and I need to get my ass out of Detroit ASAP.  Apparently you Texans stole all the engineering jobs.  

Specifically for those that have moved to Texas from colder climates:
1)  My fat ass sweats at 70 degrees.  How long is it going to take to acclumate to the weather?
2)  Would I have a better chance of acclumating to the temp if I moved in the winter months and did it gradually or just jump right in in July?

Everyone else:
3)  Where are the jobs at?
4)  I'm currently looking in the Fort Worth area for a possible move in around 12 months.  Where is the affordable and low crime housing at?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was dumb enough to not only get 1 mechanical engineering degrees, but 2!  The auto market is dead or dying and I need to get my ass out of Detroit ASAP.  Apparently you Texans stole all the engineering jobs.  

1)  My fat ass sweats at 70 degrees.  How long is it going to take to acclumate to the weather?
2)  Would I have a better chance of acclumating to the temp if I moved in the winter months and did it gradually or just jump right in in July?

Everyone else:
4)  I'm currently looking in the Fort Worth area for a possible move in around 12 months.  Where is the affordable and low crime housing at?

Thanks guys.

Ha.

Hehehehe.

Hee hee hee heee.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393423
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
1 - You will probably never acclimate

2 - See 1.  But a move in October would probably be best.

3 - With all the people from LA moving here, there may be no jobs.  But if you are already in the auto industry you can try the GM plant in Arlington.  There are also several 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers in the area.

4 - The mid-cities are pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Zhukov's answer was better
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Winter?

70?

Sir, have you experienced nights at 80-90 degree's ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Winter?

70?

Actually, Michigan temps more than occasionally hit mid 90's and even the 100's in the summer with high humidity.  That is why they make A/C.

I have pretty bad arthritis in my knee and the warm weather is awesome.

I'd love to get out of the auto industry and education wise, I don't think I'd be competing with too many of the refugees.

Anyone know the average engineering salary with a BS and MS in mechanical engineering and 2+ years experience off hand by any chance?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck!

1. You will NEVER acclimate to the weather. EVER.. Prepare to sweat.  ALOT!

2. It doesnt matter when you do it, If you dont want to sweat, move in December or January.

3. Jobs are in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, all the major cities.

4. There is no such thing as a low crime area in the Dallas area. Bring your AR...  Look for a place in the country, you will have to drive farther to work, but its worth it.

If sweating bothers you, look for jobs in Colorado..
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Actually, Michigan temps more than occasionally hit mid 90's and even the 100's in the summer with high humidity.  That is why they make A/C.

1) Please read the link to my post. Seriously - especially towards the bottom of page 1.
2) Your knee won't bother you anymore.

You'll probably acclimate to a degree, but like you said - that's why there's A/C. I don't know who can really acclimate to 100 degree temps without A/C. You work on cars, you say? C'mon down - we always need a good car mechanic around here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The V22 and JSF are made here locally, or parts of them.  They are looking for all types.  Remember this is a right to work state.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I was born and raised in MI.  I left in 76 to join the mil, and haven't been back except for vacations.  My sister still lives there and works at Ford under contract.   I understand things are pretty bad up there.

I would highly suggest moving here around Feb, give or take.  I arrived here in August 1998 from Germany.  It was raining and 57F when I left GE, and 103F at San Antonio airport when I arrived.  I pretty much spontaneously combusted right there in the parking lot.

Eventually, you will get used to the heat.  Then again, I know folks that have lived here their entire life, and the heat still kicks their butts.

Everybody has a gun here, so either bring your own, or buy when you get here.  

Can't help any with the job/housing info around FW.

Good luck.

EDIT:  They are building a new Toyota plant here in SA, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgot to add: Shoot an IM to motown_steve. He's a MI transplant and should be able to share some tips.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Possible move to Texas, Any suggestions?  

Buy a Houseboat
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Now, now, y'all are just trying to scare the young man!

It's hot down here in Texas, fer sure.

But my Great Grandmother Mary Ellen Smith, who was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1845 (wow, I didn't even know there was a Milwaukee in 1845!), moved to far West Texas in 1878.

And I never heard her complain once about the heat!

Not even once!

Of course, she died about 30 years before I was born, so this might explain why I never heard her complain about the heat.

Eric The(ButIt'sADryHeat....LikeInMyOvenAtThanksgiving)Hun
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]
no flame meant Kev,
but likewise......re-read my post.......I said 80-90 degree NIGHTS

If you are actually planning to come to Our Great State then I have a few suggestions:

1) Be courteous
2) Shake hands firmly
3) pull your pants up; so as not to expose your skivvies or ass

do this things and you should be relatively successful here
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
eth,
where's your damn.......uh,........
you know
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Thanks guys.

Native Loseranian here. I sweat if I blink at over about 70 degrees. You will never get used to it.
At least Tx is dryer, usually, than here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there any part of Texas that is not blazing hot?  Up north perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Austin was 108* yesterday....  Didn't feel a lick over 105*
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
3 - With all the people from LA moving here, there may be no jobs.  But if you are already in the auto industry you can try the GM plant in Arlington.  There are also several 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers in the area.

Hmmmmm.....Last I checked, I don't think there are a lot of NOLA refugees having M.E degree...or am I wrong?hr

We have had a couple engineering types from NOLA apply for jobs.  It was only 102 °F here yesterday, but was nice and cool in Market Hall
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm.....Last I checked, I don't think there are a lot of NOLA refugees having M.E degree...or am I wrong?

We have had a couple engineering types from NOLA apply for jobs.  It was only 102 °F here yesterday, but was nice and cool in Market Hall

You do hiring?  What is an educated engineer going for a year down there?  it is about 50-60k here.  If Texas is near that, I'll be seeing you guys next year!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there any part of Texas that is not blazing hot?  Up north perhaps?

Probably down South, along the coast..I would guess.

Not the coast, there is a breeze, but its still quite hot and even more humid. The mosquitos along the coast are the size of hummingbirds. Out west is really hot during the day, but at night its kinda cold. Also near Amarillo, its cooler, and I think it even snows up there..
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone else:

Thanks guys.

Ha.

Hehehehe.

Hee hee hee heee.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393423

And a lot more hehe haha hehe haha...for the same reason, although my ass sweats over 69 degrees
and I've lived in the south my entire life as well as Palm Springs,Ca.--Hate the Fu3287g
heat  yuk
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I was born in Ft. Worth and still sweat to this day, in fact, I'm sweating right now as I type this (of course I'm in the garage).

Ft. Worth is unlike any other big city town.  It runs at a slower pace than say Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#26]
After my recent evacuation from the Houston area, I would suggest not living on the coast.

I'm seriously thinking about relocating a little farther inland.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have any interest in working for the defense industry, Fort Worth has a huge precense from Lockheed and Bell Helicopter. Both of these are always looking for engineering types and of course there are tons of other places around. I'd say it would be better to come in winter or early spring and slowly acclimate, if you sweat at 70 you don't want to jump right in to our 100+ degree July lol.

For affordable and low crime living, your best bets are some of the towns just to the south and west of Ft. Worth, outside of Loop 820. Burleson, Crowley, Benbrook, White Settlement etc. all have plenty of both new and older development and offer more of a rural setting. If you prefer more urban area, the mid-cities like Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Richland Hills, Arlington, etc. all have nice areas.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Winter?

70?

I'd love to get out of the auto industry and education wise, I don't think I'd be competing with too many of the refugees.

Anyone know the average engineering salary with a BS and MS in mechanical engineering and 2+ years experience off hand by any chance?

If you have an engineering degree, WTF are you moving BEFORE you even have a new job????  

I have never taken a job with an employer and paid my own moving expenses.  They even helped me buy a house.  What are you thinking?  Interview for a job down there first.  Then when you get the job, move when they are paying for it.  Secondly, there are salary calculators on the internet that can help you estimate what you are theoretically worth based on experience.  If the engineering school you got the degree from is not ABET accredited, subtract at least $5k.  Most companies hiring engineers want someone who they can be sure of their credentials.  You need to pick up the book series, "knock em' dead".  They will teach you how to do all of this effectively.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#29]
You can find wage tables and other good information here:

http://www.tracer2.com/
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Winter?

70?

If you have an engineering degree, WTF are you moving BEFORE you even have a new job????  

I have never taken a job with an employer and paid my own moving expenses.  They even helped me buy a house.  What are you thinking?  Interview for a job down there first.  Then when you get the job, move when they are paying for it.  Secondly, there are salary calculators on the internet that can help you estimate what you are theoretically worth based on experience.  If the engineering school you got the degree from is not ABET accredited, subtract at least $5k.  Most companies hiring engineers want someone who they can be sure of their credentials.  You need to pick up the book series, "knock em' dead".  They will teach you how to do all of this effectively.

I have no intention of moving before I have anything set up.  Just gathering information to see if Texas is as grand as I have been lead to believe.  So far, it is.  I'll swing by the local b&n this weekend and grab the series, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Lockheed is hiring mechanical engineers in Sunnyvale, CA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Plano Texas. I have a 3 bedroom house there waiting for you to buy. You can find all the players there too. Hughes, TI, EDS, lots of employment. Check out my listing on the MLS 3849 Beaumont Ln.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Toyota is opening a plant in San antonio but Im not sure when ???
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#35]
As others have mentioned, Lockheed, Bell, Vought , GM, and many suppliers to the larger companies are all in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.  Bell is also hiring a lot in Amarillo I think(V-22 and H-1).

I just moved to Euless about a month ago and I like the DFW area a lot so far.  My only complaint is liquor.. or lack there of!  Most of the cities don't allow liquor sales- beer and wine only.  You have to drive half-way to Atlanta to find a liquor store, and then pay about 25% more than I've ever seen.

I haven't gone the Dallas direction much, but it seems like traffic is a lot worse over there than it is in Fort Worth.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, here is the 411 on DFW.  I have lived here all my life.   Dallas sux, don't live east of Tarrant county.  Ft. worth is on the way up and Dallas is on the way to the sewer.  I have lived in the mid-cities, Grapevine, Southlake, Fort Worth.  you name it, and the best I have seen so far is where I am now, in the Alliance corridor in N. Fort Worth.  My dad works for Bell Helicopter as an engineer as well, most of the jobs are in Tarrant county as far as engineer jobs go, if you go to dallas, you will:

1. hate the city, so corrupt its not even funny
2. hate the schools, see above
3. hate the traffic, they drive like idiots
4. hate the people, most are in such a hurry, its like a mix between houston and atlanta
5. if I could, I would push it over to Georgia next to atlanta, Ft. Worth would be better off.

Anyhow, with the bashing aside, RRTX mentioned some good areas, but most of them are used homes areas, and forget about Arlington, it sux, too many dam people in one area.  The BEST thing to do is to build you a new house here, say up in N. Forth Worth, in the Alliance area, Keller areas.. Home prices and rates are still low, schools are excellent, and you will love it here and the night life in FT. Worth is great.  IM me or email me for any help you need, and if you decide on Bell Helicopter, I may be able to help you out there.  Good luck.

Brent
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Everyone else:

Thanks guys.

I'm from Detroit as well, and all I can say is that Texas f*cking ROCKS!

You're going to sweat those pounds away in a huge hurry though. I'm in Dallas, and we've had probably a couple dozen days over 100 this summer. I moved in April and I haven't paid the heat much mind. The humidity is almost non-existent compared to Michigan. You can step into the shade and be 5 degrees cooler. I love it. From what I hear, it doesn't get cool until late October so you still have pleanty of warm days left.

As far as a job and living goes, I would move someplace in between Dallas and Fort Worth. There are all kinds of suburbs that you can live in. My understanding of Fort Worth is that they're all a bunch of freakin' red necks!

Lastly I will address your concerns regarding crime: dude, you're moving from DETROIT!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have no intention of moving before I have anything set up.  Just gathering information to see if Texas is as grand as I have been lead to believe.  So far, it is.  I'll swing by the local b&n this weekend and grab the series, thank you.

Texas is THE SHIT! You can keep a loaded (as in round in the chamber) AR in your vehicle IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT! There is NO state income tax. You don't need a permit or license to buy a handgun, and there is no regsitration requirement. The cost of living is WAAAAY lower than Metro Detriot, there are tons of jobs, and you don't have to shovel snow!!! Texas RULES!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Everyone else:

Thanks guys.

Their are tons of jobs in Michigan.  Unless you are incompetent, you should be able to find work in MI.  However, I would suggest Tennessee.  Plenty of automotive jobs and you get to live in a free state.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Their are tons of jobs in Michigan.  Unless you are incompetent, you should be able to find work in MI.  However, I would suggest Tennessee.  Plenty of automotive jobs and you get to live in a free state.

Yes, there is a decent amount of jobs but they are all hiring at 20% or more below average starting salary and then there is the lack of job security in the automotive field.  A few more years of the current economic climate and the Big 3 are dead, taking every supplier that was too dumb to diversify (such as my current employer) with them.

The cost of living is WAAAAY lower than Metro Detriot......

That is one of the main reasons I love the Texas area.  I can sell my 2000 sq ft condo and move into a 3000 sq ft house for the same price.  That is just insane.

Lastly I will address your concerns regarding crime: dude, you're moving from DETROIT!!!

Yup, I completely forgot that.  I'd feel safer in Iraq then dowtown Detroit.  Well, crime is not an issue than.  

I wasn't awware there was such a huge defense industry presence in the Ft. Worth area.  That is definately seeming like the route to go these days.  I'm putting together a master list of areas worth looking into as far as living goes.  As soon as my brother graduates from LSU, I'll be packing up the uhual and meeting up with him.

Thnaks guys

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top