Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 8:15:15 AM EDT
What are the gun laws like? The weather, outdoor recreation?

I'm a serious road and mountain cyclist and also wondering if there's a lot of area for riding.

How's the economy, home prices, quality of restaurants, produce, grocery stores? (I like to eat well!)
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
PunkA,
 Ditto on moving, the GF got a job at Duke and I'm playing tag-along...
Any word on what the CCW situation is?
Please post or share any info. Much thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Concur with Garand_Shooter.

Durham and Chapel Hill are the most liberal, left wing cities in the state.  Firearms ownership is discouraged.  Serious crime in Durham, heavy inner-city thuggery and drug crimes.  Many attacks and rapes of females on Duke campus recently.

Move into the counties around the Durham area or to Siler City/Pittsboro areas and commute.

Tremendous opportunities for fine dining in the greater RDU-Chapel Hill area due to Universities and international population.

Weather is hot and humid in the summer and moderate in the winter.  In Jan we got 11 inches of snow and 10 days later, it was in the 70s.

Many cyclists in the area, and some designated bicycle riding routes.

Home prices span the gamut from $200 per month trailers to $2,000,000 estates within easy commuting distance of Durham.  City has $20,000 crackhouses to multi-million dollar dwellings.

Produce is largely local during the summer and seasonal in the winter.  It isn't FL or CA, but it isn't MI or MN either.

CCW is shall issue.  In Durham, I believe that the CLEOs will not sign for Class III.  Camp Butner, N. of Raleigh hosts NRA and State matches, I believe up to 1000 yards.

Just my .02, YMMV.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's where I go for outdoor recreation.

[url]www.dprc.org[/url]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree with the other guys, Chapel Hill and Durham are not user friendly!

I live 45 miles east of Raleigh. Love the weather, occasional snow, hotter 'n hell in the summer. Outer banks has very cool beaches, great fishing.  Asheville and surrounding areas in the mountains are beautiful.

CCW bypasses NICS check for long guns.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The state is pretty good as gun laws go, shall issue CCW (1 day class, $90 fee), C3 legal (but in some counties the sherrif won't sign),
View Quote

I thought it was more like "in some counties the sherrif WILL sign."  From what I've been told, most counties will NOT allow C3.  No sherrif around Raleigh/Durham will.  Which sherrifs that you know of will allow C3?  I may have to move.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Garand_Shooter,
 Do you know if the city will accept prior CCW (GA, VA) as proof of competency with a handgun for CCW? Or will I have to take one of the "classes" that are offered?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Garand_Shooter,
Thanks for the information. The good people on this board are truly a valuable resource.
Any suggestions on a nice HP club to join once I get there? I have a DCM Garand that has unfortunately been gathering dust...
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The state is pretty good as gun laws go, shall issue CCW (1 day class, $90 fee), C3 legal (but in some counties the sherrif won't sign),
View Quote

I thought it was more like "in some counties the sherrif WILL sign."  From what I've been told, most counties will NOT allow C3.  No sherrif around Raleigh/Durham will.  Which sherrifs that you know of will allow C3?  I may have to move.
View Quote

Nash, Johnston, Franklin, Moore, for a few.  Lee and Cumberland may.  Not sure about Chatham.  

I doubt if you could just move and get a signoff.  Even sheriffs that will sign are looking for a stable resident that they know (or have gotten donations from over time).  Never hurts to hook up with someone from his campaign, offer to put up a sign in your yard, or even write small check!  Look at it as an investment in your Class III acquisition.

Good luck.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for the response.

A couple more questions:

If I was to commute from outside of Durham, say 20 miles out, what are the freeway/highway congestion levels at rush hours?

And, in the heat and humidity, could you get in a couple hours of intense exercise if you got up with the sun and finished by 7 or 8 am without passing out?

The Durham DPRC looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 1:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The state is pretty good as gun laws go, shall issue CCW (1 day class, $90 fee), C3 legal (but in some counties the sherrif won't sign), Durham is the most liberal city in the state and is trying to enforce a 75 year old handgun registration law on its books. Pistol purchase requires a pistol permit form the sherrif, in some counties it is a pain, in others (like mine) its $5 and 5 minutes. It sucks to have to get em, but on the bright side it bypass's the NICS so you don't ever have to worry about a delay at a gun show with one in your pocket. loaded vehicle carry legal without permit as long as the firearm is in plain view.

I would live anywhere outside the Durham city limits and you will be fine. Lots of good ranges, lots of state parks for recreatiuon, the mountains (where I live) are close enough for weekend trips (Tsali anyone??) as are the beaches.

Hot summers, mild winters.

The price of living is reasonable if you stay outside the Durham/Raliegh city limits. Even then it is not bad.

And one of the best gunsmithing schools is located not to far away as well if you want to take up a new trade.

View Quote

What he said.  We also have a very good pro gun org. which I am a member of.  If you are thinking of moving to NC you must check it out!!! [url]www.grnc.org[/url]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Punkatomic--

Gotta agree with what most folks are saying...Durham is not gun friendly.  I'd live outside the county and commute

The commute...well that depends on where you live...most of the traffic is going to be headed into the Research Triangle Park, but people travel there from all over.  Count on 30-45 minutes, depending on where you live.

As far as gun clubs...I belong to two:

1.  Durham County Wildlife Club (www.dcwc.net)  Skeet/trap/sporting clays, pistol...no rifle except .22 rimfire.  Good links on the web page to other clubs in NC

2.  Sir Walter Gun Club (www.sirwaltergunclub.com).  A little bit of everything...lots of sanctioned matches included HP, Cowboy, IPSC, etc.  Full-auto friendly range.

Where in CA are you coming from?  I'm a native NC, but did live for several years in Palo Alto.
I'm in Cary, which is near Durham, in Wake County...let me know if I can be of help.

..........Keith
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
About working outdoors in the summer, I found that it took about 3 summers in the DC area (I am from the frozen north) before I could go running in the summer.  When I did run it was in the late afternoon, but the smarter people around here do it in the morning.  NC might be a bit worse, but around here summer is usually just 3 hot, humid months.  In a good year it is a bit shorter and in a bad year the hot weather lasts longer.  The rest of the year is very comfortable, great Fall and Spring weather and an almost nonexistant winter.

GunLvr  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top