Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 7:06:37 PM EDT
Whew I feel safer already:

[url]http://webcenter.newssearch.netscape.com/aolns_display.adp?key=200203051408000125641_aolns.src[/url]

Tuesday, March 5, 2002  
Scissors Found in Conn. Airport
WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. (AP) - A terminal at Bradley International Airport was evacuated Tuesday and hundreds of passengers had to be rescreened because a pair of scissors was found in a restroom trash can in the terminal's secure area.

One airliner that had just taken off, American Airlines Flight 623 to San Juan, Puerto Rico, was ordered back to the airport so its passengers could be sent through metal detectors a second time, said Rowlin Tebbetts, operations manager for the airport outside Hartford.

Flight 623 was back in the air within an hour, said Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.[red]Some 600 passengers aboard eight flights that had taken off earlier were screened again when they reached their destinations, he said.[/red]

In addition, 10 flights awaiting takeoff were delayed while their passengers went back through metal detectors, Tebbetts said.

A janitor found the scissors in a women's bathroom between the metal detectors and the boarding area of Terminal B, Tebbetts said.

Edited to add some color to most humorous part of this "incident".

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I will do everything in my power to avoid flying from this time forward. I'm renting a car or taking the train. If the airlines insist on this kind of stupidity, they won't have me as a customer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OH thank God it was not those pesky jars of spagetti sauce..
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
These overreactions would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

I wonder what would happen if someone left an 8x10 pic of Bin Laden on the boarding area floor...

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet it was actually a set of converted assault scissors.  The media must have forgot to put that in.

Okay...they made is safely to the destination...and got searched again!  I have a hard time with this one.  I think I would have bitched!

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top