Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
**Posted this here cause this is higher traffic than the hometown one, so ill get some answers**

In the future I may be moving to Utah (Vernal area maybe) to be closer to my son and get back in his life. What all will be loosing "firearms" wise by going form Texas to Utah?
Ive flown into SLC and then drove to Wyoming on several occasions but didnt stay in state that long. Just curious as to what im getting myself into.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:54:38 PM EDT
Can't comment on the firearms, but there is a ton of outdoor stuff to do in Utah (best snow on earth!), Wyoming and Colorado.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:08:53 PM EDT
Nothing that I know of. I believe they are pretty much the same. Oh, and if I remember right, CWP holders can now carry in elementry and highschools in Utah.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:13:26 PM EDT
Gun laws here are great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:45 PM EDT
You won't have any issues moving here, especially to Vernal.

Gun friendly, all the way.

Just don't go shooting people just because its dark on your property. Slight variations in the law.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:18:31 PM EDT
Traitor.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:20:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Traitor.

+1 Don't do it
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:21:59 PM EDT
Normally i would agree...Buts its for my 4 year old son i havnt seen in 2 years....

What else to look forward to?

Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Traitor.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:33:51 PM EDT
I don't believe you'll lose anything. UT is a great state, gun wise. In fact, I once went to a church activity and ended up having four different guys show me probably 12 firearms they happened to have in their trucks at the moment.

Check Packing.org if you want, they've got great info on state gun laws. www.packing.org.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:36:40 PM EDT
you're gaining mountains. that's enough for me
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:37:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 12:38:46 PM EDT by HoustonHusker]
Can't understand what the draw is up there...unless you snow ski a lot. I've been to Utah (SLC) a gazillion times and couldn't live there.

Hope it works for you.

HH
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:39:42 PM EDT
Haul ass, bubba. I like Texas but having lived both places, I'd have to choose Utah first. I've been trying to get back there (permanently) for 4+ years now.

Your CHL is good there, if you have one. I don't think there are many places you CAN'T carry, either.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:44:13 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. Wont happen for awhile as I have some loose ends still to handle here. But sounds like its a good state to move to.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:46:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
Thanks for the info. Wont happen for awhile as I have some loose ends still to handle here. But sounds like its a good state to move to.

I was there less than a week ago and I can attest that it is still there and still great. It's all I can do to get on the plane to come back.

Make sure you get down south, too. Lots of different terrain to see in Utah.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:53:47 PM EDT
Will all come down to where she moves to (probably Vernal since thats where she is originally from) but I told her I wont do anything till she is settled in and ill know where to look at moving. Im still thinking ill do the SLC area as it will be better to find a decent job.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:56:27 PM EDT
Nobody likes a quitter, son.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:13:02 PM EDT
FieroLoki,

Firearm laws in Utah are some of the best in the country, if not the best. If you have your CCL, you can carry onto schoolgrounds too.

There are plenty of places to go shooting. Salt Lake County may be a bit harder to find an outdoor range because it's getting congested, but there are lots of outdoor shooting areas to the south, west, east... just about anywhere else.

Utah is much more family oriented, so don't be surprised if you find the "night life" or "party life" a little lacking.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 2:01:16 PM EDT by FieroLoki]
Well, im not a "party" person, so dont have to worry about that as im ready for a full family. Just as long as i can meet some women ill be ok (even though im so freaking shy at meeting them it will suck. LOL!!!). I do have an odd question though....

I know Utah is like a "Mormon" state. I take it though Christians "fit" in ok up there?????
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Yeah, like we don't have mountains in Texas.

We got an overpass near here that, when you are on top of it, you can see almost to the next overpass.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:05:36 PM EDT
Yeah, not much problem with the locals. Though in some areas there can be cultural oddities. I grew up out of state but settled here because of work. I still clash with the culture sometimes. Of course, many of us who are replying to this post, me included, are indeed Mormons.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:09:28 PM EDT
Just so most know, im not knocking the Mormons at all..I have friends that are... Was just a questions

Originally Posted By nwmanitou:
Yeah, not much problem with the locals. Though in some areas there can be cultural oddities. I grew up out of state but settled here because of work. I still clash with the culture sometimes. Of course, many of us who are replying to this post, me included, are indeed Mormons.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:10:52 PM EDT
Never been to Utah

Don't you need a radiation detector though?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:13:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

We got an overpass near here that, when you are on top of it, you can see almost to the next overpass.

I saw a guy shooting at boxes on an overpass the other day. Was that you?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:11:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
Well, im not a "party" person, so dont have to worry about that as im ready for a full family. Just as long as i can meet some women ill be ok (even though im so freaking shy at meeting them it will suck. LOL!!!). I do have an odd question though....

I know Utah is like a "Mormon" state. I take it though Christians "fit" in ok up there?????

Very good question. It will depend a lot on the community in Utah that you move to. Some of the really small, old, rural communities can be somewhat standoffish to newcomers. Doesn't matter if you're a Mormon or not.

"Christians" (broad sense) fit in just fine. Keep in mind that in communities with a high LDS population, the church is very much a social group as well as a religious group. Don't be afraid to ask if there are any church socials coming up. In most places they'd love to include you.

Here's a little background on Utah dialect so you'll know what people are talking about in Utah:

"Ward" = congregation. It has very specific geographical boundries and can be used to refer to a neighborhood as well.

"Relief Society" is the adult LDS woman's organization. If someone has a sign in their yard explaining that "Relief Society Enrichment meeting is tonight" it just means that a bunch of the women in the neighborhood are going to get together for crafts and activities.

"Chapel" refers to the local meetinghouses, while "Temple" refers to very special large buildings. Assuming you aren't drunk out of your mind with a bottle of liquor in your hand, anyone is welcome at the chapel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:17:34 PM EDT
I do believe Utah has open carry in addition to everything Texas has.

Plus if you move to Vernal give me a hollar. We're within driving distance and you'll certainly be more than welcome to our western CO. shoots. (Don't have many, but we're trying)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:18:58 PM EDT
I used to live there. Glad I'm in the great state of Texas!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:38:09 PM EDT
If it was my boy I would move to any liberal shithole on the planet to be close to him. Stamped metal and forgings are trivial things compared to your family. At four years old you still have a chance to be a meaningful Daddy to him, something he probably needs very much if he is to grow up to be an honorable young man.

Better to try and lose than give up.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 3:39:42 PM EDT by TravisJ1]

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:12:35 PM EDT
Oh trust me, firearms wont come between me and him, just curious since I have several and well, like them.

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
If it was my boy I would move to any liberal shithole on the planet to be close to him. Stamped metal and forgings are trivial things compared to your family. At four years old you still have a chance to be a meaningful Daddy to him, something he probably needs very much if he is to grow up to be an honorable young man.

Better to try and lose than give up.

My 2 cents.

Top Top