Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2001 4:42:29 PM EDT
I'd appreciate comments on the advantages and disadvantages of Vang Comp ported and unported Rem 870 defensive shotguns. Thanks.
BRET
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be glad to give you my opinon on this.  I do not subscribe to porting any weapon whether it is a handgun, rifle or shotgun.  I am of the opinon that there is no substitute for practice when it comes to the improved handling of any weapon.  Porting to me is analogous to wanting "improvement in a bottle".  I suggest you forgo the gadgets and modifications to save the money for a few extra cases of shells.

By far the very best shotgunners I know have simple shotguns, without the gadgets, and have mastered their technique with only these 3 things:

practice
practice
practice

About the only modification I would suggest for an 870, if you don't already have it, would be to have choke tubes installed to tighten up your pattern.

Shoot well.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a S&W 3000 Police Model that Vang Comp worked on about 8 - 9 years ago, when getting established.  More than the comp, I was very impressed with the "jug" choke and the lenghtening of the chamber throat.  Reduced the recoil impulse and improved the pattern quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a retention scenario where porting has it's advantages, say you're in a home defense situation and BG grabs for and gets a hold of the shotgun by the barrel, you pull the trigger hoping the BG takes the round in cardio-pulmonary region, center torso, yet the muzzle wasn't directed quite correctly, porting will cut and burn through the hand on the muzzle even if shotgun round misses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
or youre temperarly blinded by the flash..
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Maverick, where are you at in NH? I'm in Rochester. Got any good gunshops in your neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Manchester Firing Line (www.nhguns.com) has good prices and a good indoor range. In Hooksett, Riley's (www.rileysguns.com) has a lot of everything, but runs a bit higher on gun prices.

What's up your way?

BRET
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top