Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2001 3:42:29 PM EST
I'd appreciate comments on the advantages and disadvantages of Vang Comp ported and unported Rem 870 defensive shotguns. Thanks. BRET
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:18:14 PM EST
I'd be glad to give you my opinon on this. I do not subscribe to porting any weapon whether it is a handgun, rifle or shotgun. I am of the opinon that there is no substitute for practice when it comes to the improved handling of any weapon. Porting to me is analogous to wanting "improvement in a bottle". I suggest you forgo the gadgets and modifications to save the money for a few extra cases of shells. By far the very best shotgunners I know have simple shotguns, without the gadgets, and have mastered their technique with only these 3 things: practice practice practice About the only modification I would suggest for an 870, if you don't already have it, would be to have choke tubes installed to tighten up your pattern. Shoot well. CMOS
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:29:46 PM EST
I had a S&W 3000 Police Model that Vang Comp worked on about 8 - 9 years ago, when getting established. More than the comp, I was very impressed with the "jug" choke and the lenghtening of the chamber throat. Reduced the recoil impulse and improved the pattern quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:39:42 PM EST
Here's a retention scenario where porting has it's advantages, say you're in a home defense situation and BG grabs for and gets a hold of the shotgun by the barrel, you pull the trigger hoping the BG takes the round in cardio-pulmonary region, center torso, yet the muzzle wasn't directed quite correctly, porting will cut and burn through the hand on the muzzle even if shotgun round misses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:44:36 PM EST
or youre temperarly blinded by the flash..
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:37:14 PM EST
Hey Maverick, where are you at in NH? I'm in Rochester. Got any good gunshops in your neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:56:14 AM EST
Manchester Firing Line (www.nhguns.com) has good prices and a good indoor range. In Hooksett, Riley's (www.rileysguns.com) has a lot of everything, but runs a bit higher on gun prices. What's up your way? BRET
Top Top