Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 4:30:54 PM EDT
I think I have a bad temp sensor/probe.  It says "HI" in the display, manual says that means water is 114+, it is NOT and has never been that hot.  Cycling the power at the breaker does not reset it .  Looks like a simple probe swap, but the guy at the pool store said there are also two high temp switches to protect against overheating.  The parts are about $44 each, anyone have any experience/ideas, I'd rather not buy all 3 parts, they are special order items.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
could be a flow problem as a poolman the first thing do is clear all baskets & backwash  or clean filter is this your heaterhttp://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/MiniMaxNTHeater-DDTC-IG.pdf

if it is I would think it is temp probe figure 5 P9 in RED on drawing

I would also check water chemistry you could be eating up your heater causing probe failure

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Baskeets emptied weekly, backflushed last weekend.  

Water parameters monitored weekly.  Heater is about 4-5 years old, last week it worked, this week it claims "HI", and will not cycle.  
I think it's either the "thermistor probe" of one of two "sensor high limits"

That link is my heater.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pool guy since 1991 here. Heaters can be compared to cars, if they aren't started once in a while they fall apart. If the filter is clean you have a sensor problem, they go out all the time.

THanks, that;'s what I figured, but I don't know which sensor fo the three to replace?
I run it once a month all year, every weekend during summer.
Any idea which of hte three probes is bad?  They are $45 each, I'd rather not blow $100 extra than I need to.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top