Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 8:57:41 AM EDT
Read on some other boards that Pontiac was considering pulling the plug on the new GTO.  I have not seen anything official on this, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

I sure hope not! I was hoping to pick one up in 07 or so!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd worry more about GM lasting until 07 at this point.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

x2

Except I'm not worried.  If they can't innovate, let them crumble.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Holden is killing the base car that the GTO is built on.  and it isnt cost effective to keep a line going just to build a car with lackluster sales in another country
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Holden is killing the base car that the GTO is built on.  and it isnt cost effective to keep a line going just to build a car with lackluster sales in another country

i was aware of the monaro being killed, but i was under the understanding that they were going to build new GTO's on the platform being used for the new camaro and CTS
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I belive it was all ready killed. Now I wonder what they will re badge next.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought from the begining that it was to be only a 3 year car anyhow?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought from the begining that it was to be only a 3 year car anyhow?

Have fun finding parts in a few years...... Cortina, Capri, Merkur, Opel, Catera, et al....

Never a good thing buying short term cars.....from other countries.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I belive it was all ready killed. Now I wonder what they will re badge next.

Pontiac Cobalt, G.T.O.(free fart can and aluminum "racing" wing with every purchase!)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2

Health care cost are part of what are tearing GM down.  That does not bode well for the rest of the US.  Get ready for socialzed medicine.  Damn that sucks!      
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Here you go. Just buy a truck instead
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2

Health care cost are part of what are tearing GM down.  That does not bode well for the rest of the US.  Get ready for socialzed medicine.  Damn that sucks!      

Get ready for socialized medicine?  WHY?  Just because people are too irresponsible to reach into their own pockets for their health care?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey think of it this way. There are plenty of ugly GTO's out there with great motors and 6 speeds to rip out and put in something better!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was aware of the monaro being killed, but i was under the understanding that they were going to build new GTO's on the platform being used for the new camaro and CTS

Yes, the GTO is dead because the platform is dead.  Sales were also not promising at all.

The new Camaro platform may be used to build a GTO or Trans AM, but the way I see it, this will just kill them again.  GM doesn't need 3 versions of the same car, and they all cost more than a Mustang.  The Mustang is nothing compaired to these cars but when you can get 85% the performance for $5-10k cheaper, most people will get the Mustang.

I think GM needs to make just the Camaro, but make it extremely competitive.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the GTO is dead because the platform is dead.  Sales were also not promising at all.

The new Camaro platform may be used to build a GTO or Trans AM, but the way I see it, this will just kill them again.  GM doesn't need 3 versions of the same car, and they all cost more than a Mustang.  The Mustang is nothing compaired to these cars but when you can get 85% the performance for $5-10k cheaper, most people will get the Mustang.

from the looks of it, GM killed the zeta platform as a whole.  that not only means the GTO is dead, but also the new 'maro, firebird, chevelle and anything else that was supposed to be on that platform.  and they did it to try to get new big trucks and SUV's to the market sooner.  how much stupider can they possibly be?  SUV sales have been on the decline the past few years, and i doubt with gas on its way to a permenant $3/gal and up that SUV's are going to take off any time soon.

I was WAS going to buy GM for my next car, but fuck these assholes.  i'll take my money to ford or chrysler
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally

:

Originally Posted Quoted:

I was WAS going to buy GM for my next car, but fuck these assholes.  i'll take my money to ford or chrysler

...and the dumba$$es at Ford just killed the SVT team. Geez, so why do we want to buy boring American cookie cutter cars. We'll just buy foreign now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Face it GM is dead and will be selling only pickups soon
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 2002 S10 pickup with a 4cyc engine that gets 25mpg.  This is the 21st fking century. Why th fck does this vehicle only get 25mpg?  That tiny pos should get 40+.  Considering some full size vehicles get close to 30mpg along with just about every line from Toyota.

GM should get their heads out of their asses and realize that with $3/gallon gas, they need to make fuel efficient vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]
They are coming out with a new platform for the GTO in '08.

With Chrysler thinking about building the Charger (425 horsepower), and Chevy building the new Camaro (400 horsepower), the question will be which car do you like more. I personally like the looks of the Charger better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Read on some other boards that Pontiac was considering pulling the plug on the new GTO.  I have not seen anything official on this, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

I sure hope not! I was hoping to pick one up in 07 or so!

You might be able to get an '06 leftover for cheap. GTOs cost more to own over a 5 year period than a Corvette. Look here
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
After having gotten to take care of a classic GTO, and having a true respect for the real Muscle Cars, I have to say that the new GTO is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to sell cars based on the legend behind the name.  They look like a re-hashed Grand-Am/Grand Prix bastard child.  I'm not saying they don't move, and maybe they handle, but to call that thing a GTO is just basically wrong.

Woody
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from the looks of it, GM killed the zeta platform as a whole.  that not only means the GTO is dead, but also the new 'maro, firebird, chevelle and anything else that was supposed to be on that platform.  and they did it to try to get new big trucks and SUV's to the market sooner.  how much stupider can they possibly be?  SUV sales have been on the decline the past few years, and i doubt with gas on its way to a permenant $3/gal and up that SUV's are going to take off any time soon.

They ARE going to build the Camaro, it is almost a given at this point. There will be no Firebird, and I'm not sure of the future of the GTO or a Chevelle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I wouldn't say they were stupid to favor trucks over muscle cars. I'd say they were stupid to favor either over a hybrid. Of course, that's a tough decision to make when you consider that truck sales paid for the small cars they did build.

Yeah, good luck with that.
Ford and GM you can argue, but good luck on a chrysler.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#23]
As GM goes so goes America.  Too bad that was true.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
After having gotten to take care of a classic GTO, and having a true respect for the real Muscle Cars, I have to say that the new GTO is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to sell cars based on the legend behind the name.  They look like a re-hashed Grand-Am/Grand Prix bastard child.  I'm not saying they don't move, and maybe they handle, but to call that thing a GTO is just basically wrong.

Woody

new goat was a great idea with a really bad execution.. the 'look's suck.

here's my take on things.. gas gonna get real expensive, about that time, gm gonna come out with new V8 pony cars and the cost of gas is gonna make buying them stillborn..

people will buy vettes and similarly priced cars. if you can afford 50k for a car you can afford 5 buck gas.. but a v8 car that gets 12 to 17 mpg when gas costs 5 bucks aint gonna make it.

things are sorta sad.. for instance, i have a honda crx hf i bought new in 91. gets 45mpg average city/highway, is fairly fun to drive and has a useful hatch. if they could do that in 91, they coug get 60 to 70 mpg today.. but the best you can find is a prius which is a neat car, but real world mpg is still around 45mpg..

im hoping gas prices go bananas and we do what america has always done, we adapt, improvise and come out with some real neat solutions.

mayhap what this country needs is some real hard times (iranians nuke the suadi oil fields and mine the gulf of hormoz)....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woody

new goat was a great idea with a really bad execution.. the 'look's suck.

here's my take on things.. gas gonna get real expensive, about that time, gm gonna come out with new V8 pony cars and the cost of gas is gonna make buying them stillborn..

people will buy vettes and similarly priced cars. if you can afford 50k for a car you can afford 5 buck gas.. but a v8 car that gets 12 to 17 mpg when gas costs 5 bucks aint gonna make it.

things are sorta sad.. for instance, i have a honda crx hf i bought new in 91. gets 45mpg average city/highway, is fairly fun to drive and has a useful hatch. if they could do that in 91, they coug get 60 to 70 mpg today.. but the best you can find is a prius which is a neat car, but real world mpg is still around 45mpg..

im hoping gas prices go bananas and we do what america has always done, we adapt, improvise and come out with some real neat solutions.

mayhap what this country needs is some real hard times (iranians nuke the suadi oil fields and mine the gulf of hormoz)....

Part of the Reason they have ditched the Current shape Holden Monaro (Pontiac GTO) is because of it age. It was introduced to the market in 2000. (it was in the Sydney Motor show as a concept in 1998) It's six years old.... I guess they want a new car.

Holden Monaro
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hey think of it this way. There are plenty of ugly GTO's out there with great motors and 6 speeds to rip out and put in something better!

Like '78 Fairmont wagons.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#27]
This kind of bullshit, where GM was going to create a new line of nice RWD cars, but now wants us to buy overweight, mostly empty, overpriced, live-axle, leaf-springed TRUCKS is what's going to kill them.

I guess they want dead, since they're headin' in that direction.

Kinda like the Republitards.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This kind of bullshit, where GM was going to create a new line of nice RWD cars, but now wants us to buy overweight, mostly empty, overpriced, live-axle, leaf-springed TRUCKS is what's going to kill them.

I guess they want dead, since they're headin' in that direction.

Kinda like the Republitards.

Nice RWD cars?  Other than the 'Vette, they aren't proposing any.  The Camaro concept car is too cartoon-like to be taken seriously.  The actual production would have to be waaaay different.  IMHO.

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top