Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/2/2001 6:22:48 PM EDT
I bought a polytech M-14 for 500 bucks. The gun is like new shoots great, nice and tight. So is it really true i bought a piece of crap?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:35:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:40:40 PM EDT
For some reason I could not bring myself to buy a commie M1A. Hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:47:05 PM EDT
Don't listen to the fear mongers. I have had a Norinco M1A for eight years and never had a problem. It shoots great and I have taken Elk with it. I think Springfield couldn't stand the competition and spread all those rumours.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:59:56 PM EDT
I have one of each of them, a Polytech M1A and Norinco M1A. I too have had no trouble with either one of them. Not a single jam or missfire. I also have 2EA Springfield M1A's. Same goes for them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:22:31 PM EDT
I'd still get that rifle checked out, despite what you hear. I have heard the same as Troy. Sounds like a pretty good price though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:46:23 AM EDT
I have a Polytech. Headspace was excessive. It would close on a field reject gauge. I bought a brand new TRW M-14 parts kit from Orion 7 and stirpped the forged receiver and built a brand new rifle out of it. Milspec forged receiver, USGI TRW parts. All for just under $1000. Read the Fulton armory FAQ on them. It is very accurate. Many Chinese M-14s will headspace fine, and as long as that's the case, they work well. It's just with the soft parts, the headspace can go outa whack quick. I chose to rebuild once the gun became unsafe to shoot. I am dubious of the various "re-heat treatments" that are available. Fulton will do a great job, but their price is now something like $950 to put on GI parts, and even then some of the Chinese parts may be OK to use. I wanted the strongest, closest to milspec rifle I could get, so I built it myself. It was one of the easiest builds I've done on anything. The receiver is top quality. Ross
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:59:37 PM EDT
As long as you have any M14 system you're way ahead. Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:48:58 AM EDT
Remember that Shooting Times article a couple of years back where they shot 5000 rounds through both a Springfield M1A and a Polytech M14? The poly took about 1300-1500 rounds before it stopped working. The Springfield went the full 5000 rounds without much problem and then they put the Springfield parts into the chinese version and got a couple more hundred rounds out of it before it died permanently. Any thought I had of buying a Polytech M14 died with that article. BTW, I think the author was Dick Metcalfe, so buyer beware. Merlin
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:01:10 AM EDT
I have a Poly Tech M-14, and have never ever had ANY problems with it. I've put countless rounds through it, and it still checks out good. I don't know about the dangerous bolt theory, but like I said, no problems with mine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:38:05 AM EDT
Why start with a gun that need sa 1000 bucks worth of work.Not all the recievers are safe either.I have personally seen one that would not lock up because of a stretched reciever.Not the bolt the reciever.
Top Top