Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2003 11:12:12 AM EDT
I'd still like to know how many would choose what when something goes bump in the night.

And give also a reason why you chose as you did.

A story from today's news:
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2279853

Dec. 8, 2003, 9:15AM

Katy home invasion leaves 1 dead, 1 wounded

By S.K. BARDWELL
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

A 50-year-old man was shot to death and another man beaten during a home invasion at a Katy area house late Sunday.

An assault was reported at the residence in the 22500 block of Braken Carter just after 10 p.m., said Harris County Sheriff's Department detectives.

Deputies who responded to the call found one man injured in the front yard. Eddy Pleasant had been beaten with a baseball bat, detectives said.

Walter Roy Harris, the homeowner, was found in a bedroom with a gunshot wound to his chest, said authorities.

Both men were taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital by Life Flight helicopter. Harris died from his wound, but Pleasant was said to be recovering this morning.

Detectives said two men evidently forced their way into the home, but the motive is unknown. They ask that anyone with information call them at 713-967-5767.

Or how about a situation with an armed rapist in your kid's bedroom?

www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/12/07/serial.rapist.ap/index.html

Police: Serial rapist stalking Miami
Eight assaults near neighborhood stalked last summer

MIAMI, Florida (AP) --A serial rapist has been linked to eight sexual assaults, including three on young girls, in a neighborhood just a few miles from one that was terrorized by another serial rapist this summer, police said.

DNA tests conducted in recent days connected three other rapes with the man who raped two girls, ages 7 and 8, on November 28, police said Friday. He is also suspected in three other sexual assaults and an attempted attack. The victims range in age from 7 to 37.

All of the attacks took place in a concentrated region of Liberty City, a neighborhood northwest of downtown Miami.

In September, police arrested Reynaldo Elias Rapalo, 32, and charged him with raping seven women between the ages of 11 and 79 in Little Havana.

Police said the suspect in the current rapes covers his face and carries a handgun or knife.

"In all these cases he finds an open window, or an open door," said Miami-Dade police spokesman Juan DelCastillo.

In the latest assaults, the rapist crawled through an open window into a home where the two girls were asleep in their beds. He had a silver handgun and covered his face, raped the girls and fled when they screamed, police said.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Picked the AR because I wanted to be the first one to do so. [:D]

"The purpose of a pistol is to fight back to the rifle that you should have never laid down in the first place." - Clint Smith
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW, I'd go with my Rem 870P with Walmart bulk pack shells.

Although my Beretta CX4 with a 15-rd mag of hollow points is running close behind.

I live in a downtown apartment, in a dense urban environment, so...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
A shotgun would do....and nothing wrong with the AR either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Shotgun / AR
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked AR, in part because the choice of MP5 wasn't listed.  Quasi-M4 configuration.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Semi-auto or pump shotgun with 000 buck, devastating.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#7]
870/M4/Glock

[shotgun][uzi][pistol]

Hessian-1[wave]out!

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on circiumstances, i chose either a Glock 17 loaded with RA9T, an 870 loaded with Fed Tac Load 000 Buck, a Mini-14 loaded with M193, or a 16" AR loaded with Horn 75Gn OTM.  The mini and AR both have tac lights. The Glock & 870 both have extended mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I picked AR, in part because the choice of MP5 wasn't listed.  Quasi-M4 configuration.
View Quote

I forgot about pistol-caliber carbines. Guess I can't edit polls.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Many variables.  If others are in the house, a scattergun will pepper loved ones with shot if doors are open.  AR15 allows multiple aimed shots and 5.56 rounds will fragment (hopefully) before they get through many walls and before they enter family members.

I do have to admit that for those living alone, a shotgun would be my first choice.  Few recover from a close range shotgun blast to torso or proximal extremity.  Nasty wounds.  Don't even have to aim.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
pistol and surefire
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I work in a 9-1-1 center, so I say you all should pick a good [b]PHONE[/b]...If not for any other reason than to keep my kids fed. [:D]

Ok..Ok..Ok...I would take a shotgun...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#13]
AR carbine hands down for me. Less overpenetration concern through walls with proper ammo selection than shotguns or handguns. More capacity. Good terminal ballistics. Eliminates body armor. Faster followup shots. It is the weapon I am most familiar with, which in the dark and/or under stress is very important. No reason not to use it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I would grab the handgun, .40s&w. My townhouse has a narrow stairway and the corners are hard to comfortably "clear" with my 16" barrelled AR's.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I would prefer to not shoot anyone in my house.  It leaves a nasty mess.  If I did however I would grab the closest on which is my Stainless Classic Kimber .45 on my right hip.  Loaded w/ 230 gr FMJ right now.  2 spare mags.  Need to get some more 230 gr. Corbons, Hydrashoks, Gold Dots...something with hole in the end.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in a small townhouse, so for me, the 1911 makes more sense than trying to negotiate tight places with my 590A1. I also have a Surefire and Pepper Foam at the ready. As far as mags, one in the gun and two spares, all loaded with HydraShocks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Shotgun. Everything else will go through a wall like a hot knife in butter.

Take a piece of gypsum wall board, a small screwdriver and drive it through the wall board. Doesn't take much effort does it?

Now imagine a .45 or .223 round. Heck. you'd find the spent bullet in the side of someone's car. (providing you don't live in a brick home)

I've been told that nothing scares the heck out of a burglar then the sound of a shotgun being chambered.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would grab the handgun, .40s&w. My townhouse has a narrow stairway and the corners are hard to comfortably "clear" with my 16" barrelled AR's.
View Quote

Good argument, just be careful where you shoot that .40 .  I'm no ballistics expert, but I suspect those rounds will go through the crook, through the townhouse, and through the crook's car parked down the street.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Mossberg 500A with a Surefire for me.  I have the rounds staggered starting off with a #4, then a 00-buck, then a slug, another 00, another slug and then another #4.  Side-saddle contains more slugs and 00-buck.

Wife backs me up with her S&W model 37 (.38 Special, which she shoots VERY well) and a cell phone.

If the bad guy gets through us, he must face the dog whimpering in the corner.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#20]
AR.  20" A2 'cause that's what I have, in house I would rather have a 16" lightweight.

As for the second example, if I ever caught a man in my daughters' room at night (12, 2) he is dead.  Not captured, not wounded.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Benelli M1 Tactical. 1st shell is magnum 00 buck, 2nd shell is magnum slug when you find out that the 00 didn't do anything, 3rd round is #4 shot to rip the perp's face off (also because you won't feel like firing anything else after the first two shells). 4,5 and 6 are whatever makes you happy.

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I picked “baseball bat/golf club” because it is closest to my ACTUAL defensive “arm,” my 3-Cell Maglite. I live in a college dorm and can’t have anything better, but I bet I could bonk someone real good with it.

If I was allowed to, I would have either an XD-40 with a 4” barrel, 180gr. Gold Dot JHP’s, and extra mags OR an SS-framed S&W .357 Mag. with a 4” barrel and 125gr. JHP’s. The XD would perform better, but I could leave the .357 loaded 24/7 until the end of time and not have to worry about magazine spring fatigue. I chose a handgun for maneuverability, and I have concrete walls on all sides (I’m at the corner of the building) so over-penetration is not an issue.

If I owned a house, it would be a tough call between a Remington 870 12-guage with 18” barrel, extended magazine, and 00 Buckshot OR a pre-ban Bushmaster with a collapsible stock, 16” 1-7 M4 barrel with Phantom flash suppressor, red-dot sight, BH 77gr. NATO OTM’s., and two duplexed 30-rnd. USGI mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Take a piece of gypsum wall board, a small screwdriver and drive it through the wall board. Doesn't take much effort does it?

Now imagine a .45 or .223 round. Heck. you'd find the spent bullet in the side of someone's car. (providing you don't live in a brick home)

I've been told that nothing scares the heck out of a burglar then the sound of a shotgun being chambered.

View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]
AR15 - 16" BM comped.  I always consider the possibility of someone in the house being taken hostage, or a similar scenario, so I always think about that precisely placed shot that might be needed.  A shotgun takes both perp and family down.  Plus, stealth is my weapon, a shotgun being racked doesn't help much, even thought the BG might run.  I'd prefer a body count for someone breaking in.  That's what the shovels are for.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Benelli M4 combat shotgun for me, But onley because there's no Barrett M82A1 in the poll.[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#27]
They'd never get passed my dog....
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.
View Quote

Hawkeye, why don't you and I develop a FAQ on this.  Surely these questions and wrong "facts" have been addressed about 1,000 times on this forum.

I don't fault Ramjet.  These falsehoods are repeated so often that the general population take them as truth.

But those of us that know better can sure get worn out answering them over and over again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#29]
M4 commando config in 5.56mm with vortex FS and light. Iron sights.
I want precision, compactness, and reliablility.

Never know when someone in your home is going to be held by the perp. I want to be able to drop the POS with one shot thru the brainstem if I have to. After he's down I want to have rapid follow up shots to make sure he stays down for good.
I also keep an underfolder AK and Glock 17 ready to go. Tarp and shovel and I'm all set.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.
View Quote

Hawkeye, why don't you and I develop a FAQ on this.  Surely these questions and wrong "facts" have been addressed about 1,000 times on this forum.

I don't fault Ramjet.  These falsehoods are repeated so often that the general population take them as truth.

But those of us that know better can sure get worn out answering them over and over again.
View Quote

Send the shotgun related questions to:

[url]http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=1e6e51ec86fa2fd875e3831b7420351c[/url]

This topic is talked about to death over there.

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.
View Quote

View Quote

You are correct. They have been perpetuated so long and so often, many folks honestly dont know all the facts. That sounds like a great idea. I'd love to work on that with you. I actually have had some plans in the works now for some time to do a few things in that regard. Sounds like a good time/excuse to do them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Mossberg M590A, ghost ring sights, 14 shots max (11 if 3" magnums loaded) and sling.

I load a mix of #4 and OO buck with 15 pellets.  I doubt if the shot will penetrate the walls as easily as my .223 or 7.6x39 or .40 or any other big caliber rifle or pistol.  Hell, just the sound of the charging action would be enough to make me pee my pants.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Make my night!  Shotgun, 1300 Defender, with brake and flashlite. Nasty, nasty.

[img]http://members.aol.com/bear3351/shotgun.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They'd never get passed my dog....
View Quote

A pound of burger and three Tylenol w/codeine and I'm in.
Not that I *would*, but it ain't hard.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

[url]http://members.aol.com/bear3351/shotgun.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Where'd you get that nifty brake?  Does it take an edge? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted: Hell, just the sound of the charging action would be enough to make me pee my pants.
View Quote

I just wired the burgular alarm to a tape of my shotgun being loaded.  No more worries!
[banghead]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#37]
The ultimate home defense weapon would be a 10-11.5" flat top AR with tac light, red dot, and suppressor using something like a 64gr. Power Point Plus.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife's AR is my first choice for indoor games. I have a bedside handgun, but that is just to get to the closet and put the mag into the AR.

Her config is A1 stock cavarms lower, 16.1 flattop with holosight.

I used to have mine at hand (semiA2) but went smaller.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.
View Quote

View Quote

I agree. I have been on the forums for a few months now and this topic has been BEATEN TO DEATH!!!!!! A good FAQ on this would be invaluable.

I live alone so the choice is a Mossberg 500 defender with light and 00 buck, which I know I must aim well and it sure as hell does have a tight pattern. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#40]
If you need any help I would be glad to assist. By the looks of the poll results, it obviously needs to be done. I have been trying for years to quelch the shotgun myths, but decades of wivestales are hard to counter. I cringe every time I see someone on a gun board reccomend a 12 gauge with bird shot as a good home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Shotgun, 12 gauge.

I prefer semi-auto, simply because it gives me one extra round. OTOH, racking a shotgun slide says "Don't fuck with me" in a language ANYONE can understand.

Close second: AR15 with 30-round magazine.

Either choice requires a good light.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

[url]http://members.aol.com/bear3351/shotgun.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Wow! You can practically use that as a bayonet if all else fails!

Where on earth did you find that?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I vote for teh 12ga. pump with a good size shot. proably 00. I would prefer the shortest barrel possible,  to facitltae movement. This chioce was made on account of my being much more handy with a scatter gun than a rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you need any help I would be glad to assist. By the looks of the poll results, it obviously needs to be done. I have been trying for years to quelch the shotgun myths, but decades of wivestales are hard to counter. I cringe every time I see someone on a gun board reccomend a 12 gauge with bird shot as a good home defense weapon.
View Quote

Okay, don't cringe... [:D]

There's always some kind of a scatter-gun living under my bed (Beretta 1201 right now).

I do know what you mean about the birdshot though. First two are (HOT) # 4 shot, the rest are 00 buck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I go with a 12 guage pump action shotgun - not for technical reasons but for personal ones.

When something goes bump in the night the brain cells take a bit of time to get switched on. The pump is so simple - so automatic in my hands - that even with just a couple of functional cells I can work the weapon. The second weapon back in a loaded AR for when things go bump not in the night.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#46]
A boomstick in any tube-fed or break-open form that's accessorized in a 'hunting' manner would go over best with the judge/jury/hoplophobes
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#47]
S&W686 7rounds of .357 works for me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Colt Detective Special loaded with hydra-shoks.

Nothing like a little class for the defense of the home.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I have an ex-brother in law that cringes everytime he thinks about a shotgun with bird shot too. He shits in a diaper and has to be pushed around in a wheelchair because he's a quad. #6 shot from a .410 took out his shoulder joints and about 2 inches of spine. He wont hit my sister again.

I keep my 12 gauge loaded with #6.

How many people have you shot? With what load? What was the results?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I use a Winchester 1300 (12 ga) with 4 rounds of 00 buck with 12 pellets in each and 2 1 oz slugs in the tube, and the same stuff on the side saddle.

How does that break work for you Bear?

What I really need though is a .458 SOCOM AR with 600 grain subsonic bullets and a can.

[:D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top