Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 4:00:49 PM EDT
Poll inbound.

Just wondering if your boss/supervisor/company owner has turned into a condescending ass since the unemployment rates have started to rise?

I mean......not the usual dick-headedness that some bosses are , that's to be expected.

But now that the jobs are scarce , and folks are looking in record numbers, have they got the attitude that you are definitely replaceable and rub it in your face every chance they get? Have they stopped with the atta-boys and little perks that really didn't cost much (if anything) , and adopted the whole " You need to push harder than ever right now.....for the company's sake. " ? ......you know....that arrogant  You owe me ...and your lucky to be here attitude.

Mine is about the same as he ever was ........just crying the blues a bit more. But I'm hearing alot of other guys complain that their boss has copped an attitude , and that they arent willing to listen anymore or work with folks when they have problems.

Just wondering how things are with your boss.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am the boss and I am an asshole. I don't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I am the boss and I am not an asshole.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL, when was he not?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Poll inbound.

Just wondering if your boss/supervisor/company owner has turned into a condescending ass since the unemployment rates have started to rise?

I mean......not the usual dick-headedness that some bosses are , that's to be expected.

But now that the jobs are scarce , and folks are looking in record numbers, have they got the attitude that you are definitely replaceable and rub it in your face every chance they get? Have they stopped with the atta-boys and little perks that really didn't cost much (if anything) , and adopted the whole " You need to push harder than ever right now.....for the company's sake. " ? ......you know....that arrogant  You owe me ...and your lucky to be here attitude.

Mine is about the same as he ever was ........just crying the blues a bit more. But I'm hearing alot of other guys complain that their boss has copped an attitude , and that they arent willing to listen anymore or work with folks when they have problems.

It's a "sellers market" when it comes to jobs right now, so those with the power to hire and fire are requiring people to keep their "knobs" clean for them.

It's not right, but that's the way it is. Life.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, my boss has turned into an extremely condescending, cynical ass this year who is always bitching about Obama. The worst thing is he follows me everywhere; I can't even get away from him in the bathroom. I look in the mirror and there he is, just waiting to make some quip.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Best boss in the world here. We only have 2 employees though, but ive been the longest lasting worker since 1995. We are out of work now but he is cool as any service calls we get he pays me cash to do, so I can still collect unemployment. Almost all works out mostly. But he has been the same as long as I known him, since 1985. Always flexible, could take time off whenever. Of course I dont have too many bills compared to his but im sure he is freaking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, my boss has turned into an extremely condescending, cynical ass this year who is always bitching about Obama. The worst thing is he follows me everywhere; I can't even get away from him in the bathroom. I look in the mirror and there he is, just waiting to make some quip.

I'll take this for 8000 Alex.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I am in middle management, I got a promotion and a new boss.

I am pretty happy.  My boss treats me very well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
He was a condescending ass before the economy turned down. Now he is a dick with ears.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine just installed surveillance cameras in a Police Gear store Then he complains about how broke we are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a "sellers market" when it comes to jobs right now, so those with the power to hire and fire are requiring people to keep their "knobs" clean for them.

It's not right, but that's the way it is. Life.

Agreed. Such is life.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I never see my boss unless it's my yearly review, he lives in a different state :-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
No.

I work for a .gov agency and with majorly reduced budget we all try to hang together and let other dept's borrow things to get buy. He treats me well, and I do everything I can to make his life at work easier.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope. My boss is the same he was 4 or 5 months ago when he laid me off and said "When the work comes back, we'll call you".

And he did. With all my seniority (non union shop), benefits, vacation etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I've never had a boss I didn't like.

If I didn't like them I probably wouldn't work for them.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
i'm a helluva boss.
i buy lunches, supply a fully stocked breakroom with fruits, veggies and little debbies. i give bonus every month, hell i even take my employees to the range for range days.

all i ask is that you FRIGGIN WORK!!!!

i fired one of my few full time employees this week, due to the fact she refused to quit texting, surfing the net and living on facebook and IM'ing on Gmail all day.

work as hard as i do and i'll put money in your 401K and get you insurance too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Same old, same old from my company owner. He's always been a dickhead and a moron. He even said that we should thank him we still have jobs in this economy.

My supervisor sees that we are circling the bowl due to the owner's idiocy. He doesn't care about doing his job, let alone how we are doing ours.

Yeah, I give that place a year at most.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
ABSOLUTELY.

It's frankly, unbelievable. It really doesnt even strike me as a "you're lucky to be here" as much as he's just a fucking asshole.

I don't know if the higher up are buried in his ass or what, but he has gone full retard. Sucks too. I used to really like and respect the guy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope my former bosses were such assholes even when the economy was great, that even with the current job market they can't fully staff the facility that's how bad the reputation for how they treat people is. Despite being one of the highest paying jobs in three counties!! Hell, it's pretty bad when even the Delinquent youth we were working with  and their parents told us they felt sorry for us!!!!

I actually laughed with joy when they got rid of me!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, worse than normal.   Business sucks though, so I expect that he's stressed.

My philosophy is to be a better employee than the next guy.  By that, I mean do your job better and faster, show up on time every day, etc.  Amazing how some people still can't even do that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
my boss is awesome.  checked my bank account last week to make sure my direct deposit had made it safe and sound.  there was an extra $2k in there.

walked into my boss's office to ask if there had been a mistake.

me:  just wanted to see if there was a mistake with payroll this week
him:  nah, just wanted to throw in a little extra something.
him: don't go broadcasting it around though...only those that have been busting their asses got anything.
me:
him: now, go stimulate the economy.

i have 1200 rounds of 7.62x51 in transit, and am seriously looking at an aimpoint c3.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I work in the Oilfield, and we are all condescending assholes everyday.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope because I kick ass every day without my bosses having to worry about me. Heck, I don't see my boss for a week at a time quite often, don't need someone checking up on me to do my job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
My company is doing the smart thing and eliminating VPs and managers and keeping sales and boots on the street guys. My old manager was transferred and I have a new one now.
He appreciates me because I service one of the largest biotech companies in the nation and they like me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
My boss feels as lucky to still have a job as I do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I barely have a boss.  She was pretty remote before, but now that she has an entirely new job in another division, me and my coworker direct ourselves according to the needs of our internal customers.

And when I do see her, she's super nice and taking us out for lunch at fancy restaurants, or at her wedding reception, or at potlucks etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I am the boss and I am not an asshole, but I have changed this year and I am a bit on edge and cynical.   While from your perspective your boss may be an asshole because of the rise in unemployment, it might be that the premise of your question is wrong.  The current business climate sucks.  It is hard, if not impossible to maintain the same business income stream for whatever business you may be in.  Add to that the certainty of a government that is going to make being in business much more expensive.  Add to that a government that is hostile towards traditional capitalism.  Add to that the the uncertainty of how much this government's actions will cost business, and yes, there may be very good reasons why your boss may be an asshole, especially if you don't share his seriousness about business, productivity and work ethic, and possibly if you just perform like nothing in the world has changed.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Poll inbound.

i would say - NO
but then again, i am the boss so.....
my business partner and i value everybody that works for us, we are a small company and everybody knows that it's a team effort. replacing someone is not as easy as you would think, it cost us about 5-10k to hire a new person (security and background checks, safety training, job training, piss test, physical, ect ) and thats if we can even find somebody to do the work and travel like we do.  my guys  (and 1 girl) never have to worry about getting paid at the end of the month, but there has been a few paydays where i cut every check but my own and my partners. i have even taken a loan to insure everybody gets paid on time while we waited for checks to come in for the work we did.

not every boss or company is out to screw the people who work for them. i don't feel like" they are lucky to work for me", but rather i feel lucky to have the group of people i do.

edit - all i ask from them is to do their job correctly the first time, show up on time, treat every customer as if they were your only customer, get the reports out in a timely fashion, and to do the job safely.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]

^
|
|
|
my boss....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#30]
poor SOB!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I got a new boss after the economy took a crap (switched jobs in June).

My old boss would actually expect us to show up on time without punching a clock, put in a full days work, get jobs done on time, and make sure to let him know if we needed any additional parts. I would show up a half hour early and get my truck ready to go and be out the door on the way to my job site when I actually started to get paid. I would pull extra hours and get a job done if needed, it got to the point that I was being lead tech/project co-ordinator/ parts orderer/ general gu who got stuff done. I worked for him for 4 years until I just could not deal with only getting 6 hours per week. I talked to him about it long before I left and told him there was no hard feelings but that I could not continue to work for him if he had no work.

New boss has installed GPS in all the trucks and will sit at his computer tracking all the trucks to make sure they are not goofing off. I get to have a salesman with a total of 3 months in the field telling me what I am doing wrong (if I make a suggestion he will invariably do the opposite just to mess with us techs). I get a project co-ordinator who, while he is a great guy really needs to grow a spine and talk to the salesman instead of griping to us techs behind the sales guy's back). I get to have someone come behind me and critique all my work and bring anything up at the next monday employee meeting instead of talking to me about it face to face. When I show up my normal half hour early I am not allowed to load up my truck to get ready for the day (even if I don't punch in), I can't get used to the whole not getting there early and getting stuff ready thing but I am working on it. I get to punch a timeclock (have not done that in probably 10 years before here).

On the plus side the new boss is throwing a pig roast for all us employees this Friday (of course all his golfing buddies get first crack at the food). The project co-ordinator is throwing us techs a BBQ at his place on Saturday so we can all sit around and socialize without customers and boss's friends hanging around listening.

On the real plus side I get a paycheck every two weeks (talked to one  of the guys still at my old place and they still are not at full time yet) and get 40 hours per week even if it means cleaning up around the office. I got a call from the wife last payday and they had only deposited half my check (one week instead of two). I called the project co-ordinator who called the boss (who was out of town). Boss calls up the payroll company and they drove a check over to the office and had it there by 14:00 even tho I told him I was ok until Monday when he got back into town.

I am in a quandary about this job so far. On the one hand I really like the actual boss (incredibly nice guy who will go the extra mile for you). On the other hand I get to deal with schmucks who have no idea what they are talking about telling you what to do. Since I am the new guy I get to sit back and eat his crap until it bites him in the ass and hope it does not roll downhill (am documenting everything).
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, my whole company is that way now. I am bearing with it until I can find something new even if I have to wait until the recovery to find it.

Note to employeers: Your employees will remember this, treat them like shit now and they will all abandon you as soon as they can - except for the crappy ones that cant get a job anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Labor surplus! Yeah!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
My boss let layed me off Tuesday after Memorial day. Dick head still calls me to get him and whats left of his company out of pinches
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got a new boss at my full time job. The pawn shop owner fired me for taking off monday to take my kid and myself to the doctor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

=1  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually, my boss is awesome, despite her being a lesbian, a Democrat, and a liberal. She doesn't let her political leanings get in the way of her doing her job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine has done the opposite.  He's becoming more of one of us, which is nice.  He's so damn busy and he has so much responsibility and shit thrown in his face, i got to admire the guy for hanging in there.  He also puts up a fight for us when we need it.  He's a real stand up guy and I'm glad he's becoming a little more easy going.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He was a condescending ass before the economy turned down. Now he is a dick with ears.

This
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#43]
My manager is fine but the bigwigs are going full retard with the new policies, instead of cracking down on the idiots they're issuing blanket policies that piss off the productive people.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Definitely know what you're talking about. Only thing saving me ass is I can replace them easier than they can replace me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't answer your poll.

I work for a large company and I have a very good job that pays well.

My "boss", is a great guy and doesn't shit on us at all!
He doesn't make company policy and doesn't swing a company club.

I like my job, and the environment I work in.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.....

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't answer your poll.

I work for a large company and I have a very good job that pays well.

My "boss", is a great guy and doesn't shit on us at all!
He doesn't make company policy and doesn't swing a company club.

I like my job, and the environment I work in.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.....

Then you can check #1.

Same-old-same-old doesnt mean good or bad........just the same as it was before the crash.

The poll was to find out if they turned INTO a dick since the recession.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top