Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 2:44:13 PM EDT
This PC I'm using is clearly on it's last legs. The PC market seems to be loaded with lots of good deals right now, so what should I get? And where should I look for the best deals going right now?

Thanks.

-CH
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the poll.

ETA:  If you want a complete basic system, I have had good luck with Dell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Never have had any problems with my dell
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Find someone that is computer savvy and have them build you one.

If it breaks, usually they can fix it easily.  If it needs upgrades, they know how to do that easily.

You can get everything you want in a system that isn't too terribly expensive.

I will never buy a computer from a store again.... ever.  From this point forward, all mine will be custom built.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Other- build your own at a local place to your specs.  get everything you want, nothing you dont.  and for the love of god, make sure it doesnt have a proprietary video card.

ETA:Cypher beat me by a few seconds, he's right on target
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Whatever you do, don't get a piece of shit Compaq like this one that I'm using.  It is teh suck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Dell.

Dont touch a Gateway anymore. My uncle used to repair the systems before they downsized again...

He used to have systems come in that never worked to begin with, and the kids in Taiwan or whereever theyre made would do such a shitty job, theyd just have to get thrown away...

Go with a Dell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sold on HP. They give you a lot of PC for the money. I'm on my third one and have never had a problem that wasn't my own fault and customer service still helped me out even though the warranty had expired.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
dell or hp most definately
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Dimension 8400, and blow some coin on a badass video card
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are gonna buy one get a Dell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking at one of the top end Dell Dimensions. Found a link at www.gotapex.com that advertises a new Dell with a 2.8 ghz processor, 80 gig HD and lots of other features for only $449 after rebates. Plus, it has a 2 year warranty. That's a much better deal than I got when I bought the dinosaur I'm using now in 2001.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Order the Dell on line special but..........................don't call anyone on the phone or they will charge you $65.00 extra.

Using mine for five years without any problems.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Dells are made by the same Chinese Communists.

If you buy a Dell, you will be helping to fund the war machine that we will be fighting when the Chinese invade Taiwan.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Alienware

I love their systems, good support to. Pricey but nice. Otherwise build it yerself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Dell, ordered mine online.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't bother ordering a PC from mainstream suppliers.

I helped some with setting up new PCs with the IT guys at my high school. Several Dells had to sent back because they shipped without critical components (like no soundcard when it was ordered to be shipped with one).

That, and a few of the PCs did not have the correct set-up. Some models (for teachers) were ment to have a DVD Rom and a CD-RW. Instead, a few shipped with 2 CD-RWs.

It wasn't a huge problem. Out of about 75 computers, only 6 were affected, and Dell was helpful in correcting it... But I still wouldn't want to do business with them - or Gateway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
whatever you do...dont get a dell.  they are cheaply made and very hard to add your own parts to it.

i have had a dell for about 2 years.  the only thing i could add to it was another hard drive from dell since nothing else would fit in it right and memory.  never had a problem with it until about a month ago.

somehow i got a virus on there and it wouldnt boot up no matter what i tried.  i even had 2 other guys look at it and they both said to reformat it.  since my warranty was up dell was no help.  while taking a ribbon cable off it just snapped.  so i had to order a new one...of course from dell since the guy at best buy and comp usa had no idea what it was.  after being on hold for about 30 mins total i got the part  about a week later and it was the wrong part.  i called and was on hold for another 30 mins.  got the part ordered and got it a week later.  it was the wrong part again.  so after being thoroughly pissed i called again and waited forever to talk to someone.  (now im not a racist guy by any means but when you call 3 different times and speak to someone that doesnt know english...then ask to talk to their supervisor and he doesnt speak english either...believe me i was annoyed as hell).  anyways i finally got the right part.  put it in, got a friends disk and had to reformat the drive.  i got xp installed again and went to install the dell drivers that came with it.  well for some reason the NIC driver and sound driver wasnt installing so i had to go buy a new NIC and sound card which is fine since im building my next computer.  i'll be able to keep those.  

one other thing.  please dont finance through dell.  its the biggest rip off i have ever seen and you'll end up paying almost double what it originally costs.  the annual % rate is about 30%...it was for me anyways.  you also cant make payments on their website.  its either mail it in or call it in for an extra 10 bucks.  there were many months when i would call my payment in cuz i had waited to long to mail it and would end up paying the finance charge and the phone charge.  meaning i wasnt making a single payment toward the computer at all.

i will do it and i recommend this to all my friends.  do not buy a dell first of all...secondly it is much cheaper to build your own and im sure everyone has a friend that knows something and can help them.  if anything else you can ask me...this is my job and if for some reason i dont know it i can ask a friend from work that will.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Never had a computer as good as my Dell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Have someone local build you one.

HP / compaq /gateway and emachines pretty much suck. Always the cheapest parts they can find- they'll do anything to save a frickin' nickle.

Dell machines are good if you spend over $1000.

Hp /Compaq tech support is the WORST shit in the world to deal with.

The proprietary systems are harder to work on.

If you can build an upper- you could probably build your own box with parts from Newegg.com,

Don't count the rebates untill you have the check!!!!!!!
IMHO- rebates are a huuuuge scam. Google for rebate complaints......
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Build one yourself.  I just built a nice one for my dad for less than $450.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dimension 8400, and blow some coin on a badass video card

That's what I got...

However if money isn't an option get the XPS or an AlienWare.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I recommend Dell.  Great systems, and great customer service.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My cousin built my last one 5 years ago, and I spent a good deal of change on it.

I just bought a new one a couple of weeks ago at Best Buy. I thought about building another one, but hey, I doubt that I could build one for the $299 I spent on this one. E-Machines--2.66 GHz processor, 533 MHz FSB, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, CD writer and DVD combo, 60 GB hard drive, 5 USB ports, 17" flat CRT monitor, Lexmark printer, keyboard, and mouse. Not to mention the software and virus protection that came standard.

Even if it turns out to be junk in the next year or so, it's worth the $300 I spent after rebates.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This PC I'm using is clearly on it's last legs. The PC market seems to be loaded with lots of good deals right now, so what should I get? And where should I look for the best deals going right now?

Thanks.

-CH

Don't buy a Dell! Way over rated and junk in my opinion!  Either build your own, or contact a local computer store and have them build one for you.  I build computers everyday, don't hesitate to contact me!!  Support your local computer stores!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]
www.ibuypower.com  just as good as Alienware just a hellava lot cheaper prices
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#27]
No Sonys?  Otherwise, I like Dells
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Alienware

I love their systems, good support to. Pricey but nice. Otherwise build it yerself.

+1. I use a Vicious PC and its been great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a Mac.

I'm using mine almost flawlessly, even at the office. The Dell they gave me (brand new Latitude laptop) is a complete POS.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]

whatever you do...dont get a dell. they are cheaply made and very hard to add your own parts to it.

I have added Soundblaster card, Nvidia 5700 Ultra, Firewire, and another hard drive. HP's, Compaq's are designed to cut you open if you get inside the case.

Just get the Dell 4700 or better (Don't even think about the 2000 series PC's). Hard to beat the price. If you are just a surfer nothing better.

Even with all the complaints there customer service is the best. Spring for the 2 year service contract, well worth the money.

For video get one of the Dells with the PCI express (mobo connection, better than AGP).

Building a PC is a good learning experience but a good Dell sell price is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I voted for Gateway because my Gateway has been performing flawlessly for about 4 years.

2.0 Ghz P4
512 Meg Ram
128 Meg GeForce4 Ti4600 video card.
21" monitor.
80 Gig HD.
CDR.

Added a DVD burner and a bigger HD but the original stuff is still there and working perfectly. Even the original mouse and keyboard.

I remember ordering it online and getting it like 3 days later.

A big thing about PC's is to get one that is almost the top of the line CPU wise but just one notch below the fastest offered.

I have built a few and they are just as good and when you build your own you tend to learn a lot more about it's inerds (sp).
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
What do you do with your computer??

Have you seen these yet

Mac Mini

If you primarily are a web surfer and basic programs I think this could fit your needs.  

Cool as shit.

If your a gamer or want high end games such as HL2 and DOOM

build your own
Falcon Northwest
Alien Ware
Dell

Gateway will be gone in the next few years I think so I would stay away from them.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Build your own and you won't have junk software you will not use and will only slow down your system.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've had mine for a year and a half and my brother two and a half years and no problems.  I will DEFINITELY buy my next computer from them.  Great prices and great product.  They kick ass.

One of their laptops has been kinda calling me.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Build your own:

My home built pc...

120 gig seagate berracuda hard drive
80 gig seagate berracuda hard drive
1 gig of corsair matched ram @333mhz
ati radeon 128 meg 8x agp pro 9500 video card
Soyo Dragon ultimate platnium edition mobo
p4 2.4 ghz w/ 533 fsb
8x dvd burner sony
52x cd burner sony
Skyhawk Case
480 watt trupower supply
Sound blaster audigy 2 zs platnium sound card
hd swap bay (120 gig hd for winders, 80 for linux)
19in flat screen crt
19in lcd
altec lansing 80 watt sound system

approx price ~2900

either build your own with quality parts or buy a G5.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Just finished my second build.  One was to replace my aging P-II and one for the Grandsons.  First went off without a hitch and second had some problems with.  Followed some online websites and both are up and running.  Build it yourself for one hell of a lot less than buy.  Price the parts you would like in the system at WWW.Newegg.com then shop for a system with those same values on Dell.  You will be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Mac
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I work for Dell, so do it for me. :)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

They do a pretty good job with wiring, too.

It's quite neat and orderly (at least the model I saw over at a friend's place once).

He had one of the models with the clear panel, and all the lights and shiney shit. Looked awesome in the dark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top