Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 8:50:36 AM EDT
Yeah, even if it happened..I'd never go on record stating I believed it..a dog maybe but a cat?

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10663270/

‘Hero’ cat apparently dials 911 to help owner
Responding to emergency call, police officer finds feline next to phone

Updated: 10:20 a.m. ET Jan. 2, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.

"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation.

Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance. He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.

Daugherty said police received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone. Police called back to make sure everything was OK, and when no one answered, they decided to check things out.

That's when Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone.

Rosheisen got the cat three years ago to help lower his blood pressure. He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the training ever stuck.

The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons — including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me be the first to say......

Sounds like a hoax to me..........
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Might have been the resident ghost as well. Many 911 calls are unexplainable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Imagine the incredible pain in the ass in would be if you had a cat that thought it was a fun game to knock a phone off the receiver and hit the buttons.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the first time I have ever read something 2 days before it was posted here.

Let me also add I think it is BS.......if it did happen it was one of those phones that has a button just for 911. No way any animal could recognize a problem then knock the phone off the hook, then dial those three numbers......no way!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Damn, I didn't realize piccolo was in that bad of shape.

He must have gotten a new cat...the SEC died a while back.

I think this story is a bit odd but I ain't calling BS yet.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Imagine the incredible pain in the ass in would be if you had a cat that thought it was a fun game to knock a phone off the receiver and hit the buttons.

My cat has figured out how to operate the remote and will watch television, usually cartoons or nature documentaries. He'll turn the tv on in the middle of the night, mute it so it doesn't wake us up, and flip channels until he finds something interesting to watch.

Drove us nuts until we swapped out remotes. He can't work this one, so no more late night tv adventures for him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My cat has figured out how to operate the remote and will watch television, usually cartoons or nature documentaries. He'll turn the tv on in the middle of the night, mute it so it doesn't wake us up, and flip channels until he finds something interesting to watch.

Drove us nuts until we swapped out remotes. He can't work this one, so no more late night tv adventures for him.

I'll be willing to state that cats are generally smarter than dogs...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My cat drives my Harley.........to the bar......and brings me home chicks......can your cat do that?
j/k
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have to kill that cat before he fathered a race of supercats.    In 2000 years his descendants will be hunting us for sport :(

DO THE RIGHT THING AND END HIM NOW!!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#12]
It is very possable to train  a cat to do that. It says right there is had one button for 911 speed dial. so all it had to do was knock the phone off the hook and press the speed dial button. One time my cat sent someone an e-mail of garbled letters. I left my E-mail program on and he later jumped on the board making a jumble of letters and then hit enter to send!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wait until the triple anchovy pizzas start mysteriously being ordered...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a cat that could open 2nd story windows with his paws, he figured out the latch and slider...then he figured out how to pry open the screen and pop it off. Damned if that sucker didnt jump from the second story window! He was fine and ended up having a great day of bird hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons — including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

I wonder how many other times this cat has called 911 by walking on the phone?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top