Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 4:07:01 PM EDT
[url]http://www.icflorida.com/partners/wftv/news/story1.html[/url]

That's not the greatest coverage of the event, nor the most in-depth, but it tells the basics.

I monitored the whole situation on the police radio as it happened today, and it took several hours for the situation to play out.

The bank robber, who was described as carrying a fairly large blued semiautomatic pistol, escaped from the bank he robbed on a bicycle, and was seen entering a fairly large wooded area (fairly large for being inside city limits) that is known for being the "home" of some of Melbourne, Florida's homeless population.  Using air units, dogs, and eventually a SWAT team, and all the police available to totally isolate the area, the suspect was eventually found.  

Valuable assistance in tracking the suspect was given by several alert citizens who saw the man entering the woods as they were jogging in the area during their lunch hour

The suspect was cornered by police dogs on two separate occasions, and injured both with a knife.  

He was eventually shot in the head and killed when he charged an officer with said knife.   Apparently he ditched the gun and I don't know if it was found yet or not.

There is no doubt in my mind that the shooting was more than justified.

There have been a string of bank robberies in this area for a while now.  I won't be surprised if they stop, or at least slow down now.

I hope the dogs are OK!  They should be, after some medical attention.  The wounds were not thought of as life threatening.

(However, this proves that even a well-trained dog will not pursue an attack if he's stabbed.)

We can sleep a little better tonight, with one less dirtbag on the streets and in the morgue where he belongs.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  Sort of a shame that I live in Brevard County and had to find out about this on ar15.com

Any word on where exactly it happened?

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll jump in before the cop haters get here and say this on their behalf; The cops shot the guy(probably the wrong one) then cut the dogs themselves and planted a knife on the guy only after clearing the area of any possible witnesses for their own "safety". The JBT's weren't about to go home with a dry hump.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You know the woods between Nasa Boulevard and Hibiscus Boulevard, near Evans Road?   Those were the woods that the dirtbag went into.

The bank was somewhere in that area, but I don't recall the exact name of the bank or its location.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
OT cmj....next time I come to Melbourne...we got to get together....I come down there for work around 6 times a year
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
... escaped from the bank he robbed on a bicycle, ...
View Quote

That must have been some high-speed chase.  I still laugh when I see that a bicycle is used.  That's like going out on your first date and telling her to sit on the handlebars [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top