Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 12:33:31 PM EDT
Is there a source online to view average response times for home invasion calls (whether real home invasions or the possoms knocking over trashcans) in Los Angeles?

Most people I know are of the "cops are lazy" mentality, yet are strangely of the "I'll call 911 and hide under the bed" mentality.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
In my area response times for non priority report calls average 10 to 15 mins.

Priority calls are dispatched immediately and the responce time is limited only by distance and traffic conditions.

EMS factoisd to keep in mind when house shopping. Every speed bump slows EMS responce by 30 seconds. Live at the end of a street in a gated comminity with 10 speed bumps? add 5 mins to the time it will take police/fire/ambulance to get to your home.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was an EMT any call with lights and sirens was a no-braker.  Speed bumps, Huge dips in the road, I swear we got airborne on more than one occasion.  The only things we slowed for were school zones, redlights, and heavy traffic.  Taxpayers are usually willing to pay for ambulances.  Ford F350 with a turbodisel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking that it's a lot less than 900fps.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
As we all know, a single anecdote can suffice as proof of just about any point.  Therefore I'll offer this up:

On Christmas (well known for the peace and goodwill bit) I had to dial 911 to report a knock-down-drag-out fight outside of a restaurant near my home.   Some guy was beating the crap out of his wife, and the tactical situation was not one that I could have/should have intervened.  Police response was 2 cruisers in under 30 seconds.  And a third, 30 seconds after that.

This was in Manassas, Virginia, right along a major road, and I can't imagine they could possibly have been there faster.  Therefore, if you're going to have to defend yourself, try to do it right next to a Denny's restaurant.

That said, I'll be fscked if I'll let a Bad Guy have even 30 seconds to get to me or my kids in my house...and I live in a 5-minute-plus response zone, absolute best case.

My home-security system is a Mossberg-Beretta active system.

[Edited because I should have proofread my proofreading]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I was an EMT any call with lights and sirens was a no-braker.  Speed bumps, Huge dips in the road, I swear we got airborne on more than one occasion.  The only things we slowed for were school zones, redlights, and heavy traffic.  Taxpayers are usually willing to pay for ambulances.  Ford F350 with a turbodisel.
View Quote

Try it with an International FL80 or even a Ford E350/E-Superduty...youll be riding on your axels on the 3rd bump!

Not that I dont advocate speed. When I was riding a 'box' I had a Chevy C30 With a LS6 454 and 3.73 Gears...I got airborne as often as possible!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Are we talking "Home invasion" or just "prowler"? ....... Prowler calls were being taken lightly, I think. You know, The racoon,possum, etc. The other day we had an actual "hot prowler" that ended up shots fired and one dead (none of the Boys in blue, Thank God)... But let me tell you... the reponse time is a heck of alot faster and with more precaution.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are we talking "Home invasion" or just "prowler"? ....... Prowler calls were being taken lightly, I think. You know, The racoon,possum, etc. The other day we had an actual "hot prowler" that ended up shots fired and one dead (none of the Boys in blue, Thank God)... But let me tell you... the reponse time is a heck of alot faster and with more precaution.
View Quote

Hmmm...I'm not sure what the difference is (I have no idea!)

Anti-gunners seem to rely on calling 911 and waiting for the cops to arrive without knowing what their response times are.  I just wanted to know if there's a source for a recognized statistic that shows how long it takes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...  Therefore, if you're going to have to defend yourself, try to do it right next to a Denny's restaurant...
View Quote

That's funny.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
"home invasion" would similar to victim being at home and suspects intruding detaining the victims and burglarizing them....
"prowler" going to be someone/something heard or seen, come check it out.....

A Police response time is going to be based on "what is happening right now?". Pending calls... Which beat... City size...  so, I am not sure that there would be such a statistic. but I can researc a little more.

Did you try posting on the "Brothers w/ a Badge" (unk exact name) forum??
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A "home invasion" is a Robbery that happens in someone's house.

A "cat burglar" is a burglar that enter occupied dwellings while committing burglary.

Most "home invasions" that I know of, involve victims/suspects that know one another, and have a prior criminal association with each other.

I had one that an armed burglar was surprised by the home owner coming home, and it became an impromptu home invasion.

A "prowler", who knows what exactly that is. It is usually somebody that someone sees and doesn't like they way they are acting, or look etc., and call the police on them. Or it can be somebody walking around trying car and house doors........
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Anecdotes:
* paramedic - 4 minutes
* neighbor (domestic disturbance) - 15 minutes
* friend (home invation) - 5 minutes (4 1/2 minutes after she put a .38 slug in the attacker's leg after he crawled through the window and tried to attacker her with a pipe).

Web resources:
Here's what I found searching around...nothing exactly on home invasion though.

Nashville - [url]http://www.police.nashville.org/news/media/2001/january/01222001.htm[/url]
Response time to code 1 calls (non-urgent) was 20.8 minutes last year, a drop of 41% from 1999’s 35.2 minutes.

Response time to code 2 calls (urgent calls without the use of blue lights and siren) was 20.1 minutes, an increase of 6.3% from 1999’s 18.9 minutes.

Response time to code 3 calls (urgent calls with the use of blue lights and siren) was 9.1 minutes, an increase of 5.8% from 1999’s 8.6 minutes
View Quote

US Department of Justice (table 107 on page 112 of PDF document)
[url]http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/cvusst.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.lpconnect.com/pb2/response.jpg[/img]

For some reason I mistakenly grabbed '96 numbers instead of '99, but the '99 link is at the same link above.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If someone broke into your house don't expect the Police to protect you, even if they get there in 3 minutes you could be way dead by then.

"230 ball drops them all"

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Once, while working late, somebody started shooting at me with what I guess was a pellet rifle. Shot out a bunch of windows in the cab of the crane (with me in it), so I figure what the hell, I'll call the cops to get these little a**holes. Took 'em 45 minutes to show up (I only told the operator I was being shot at). I told the KID who did show up that instead of depending on them, I'll just go home, get my rifle, and if it happens again, I'm returning fire. I got nothing against real cops, but Spartanburg cty's SD is about as worthless as tits on a pig. Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Skunkabilly[/b], if you don't absolutely have to see the statistics on-line, you could probably phone a LAPD public liaison rep and ask him/her. Somebody within the police department certainly tracks and maintains those stats. Unless the results look really embarrassing for the department, I'd bet they'd tell you what you wanted to know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to say that when my old man had his first heart attack, 2 LASD cars showed up in less than 3 minutes, followed by an EMT vehicle less than 2 minutes after that. The SD guys were giving the old man CPR when the EMTs got there. I got all this from my mother, but this is just to illustrate the DAMN good job some of these guys do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#18]
We have never had an actual "home invasion" around here, so I couldn't tell you. Based on where we are in the 500 sq. miles of the county, the first unit can be anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes away. Additional units can take up to an additional 10 minutes ton get there. Thats at warp 10. The traditional "noise in the basement" complaint isn't going to get that sort of response time ( as has been noted)  unless you can verify that someones actually in the house that isn't supposed to be there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I work in a court house...on th e5th floor..the Sheriff's Office is on the 1st floor...average responce time for a direct panic button to dispatch...we only press it if the shit hits the fan for us......is 11min thats a long fucking time.....but they are coming from the county..i tell them to call the city Police as they can be here faster....but nobody listens to da burn
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Police response times to home invasions ?

It depends upon how far away you live from a donut shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top