Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2012 10:37:34 AM EDT
I was at a stop light in Richardson yesterday and looked over to see a police officer writing a guy a ticket. Now I know that you can have a little leeway but when you look like Sherman Clump (the officer must have weighed at least 300 pounds)

It's a lil ridiculous. I got flashbacks to the first episode of cops with the crackhead out in front and the out of breath officer saying "stop or I will shoot you!"

Do most depts even hav e a weight limit?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
queue the big cop with his stomach tucked into his pants

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
They should have a body fat limit. Not a weight limit. Shit I'm 6'6" 300 but my bf is near 17%.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Most departments don't have a physical standard to maintain.

It's ridiculous that they don't. They should.

Cops owe it to themselves, their families, the other cops they back up, and the public they serve to be in shape.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Varies by agency.

Never saw an actual stated weight limit, but they will have health & fitness standards for insurance purposes as well as DT standards for qualification and retraining.

Some take it very seriously and will have quals several times a year just like they do for firearms. Obstacle course, timed run, etc...

Others don't care if you can't even fit behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
It's probaby just the vest...it adds about 100 pounds to officer's girlish figure

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
We had a local officer get fired for not being able to stand on his own from kneeling during a qualification shoot.  The courts ordered him rehired and he came back bigger than before.

He finally retired after being put on paid administrative leave the day he came back.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]

guy might be a desk guy on some special detail
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]

He should be ashamed of himself.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I think as long as they can be rolled in and out of a squad car they qualify.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Mandeville, Louisiana has a minimum weight limit of 300 pounds in their department, or so it seems.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]
it seems generally there is requirements to get in, but not to stay in shape once hired. Local differences may vary.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Stay out of Nebraska. They look like than out run you , then skuff you up a bit.  Nebraska Police Department looks like they have been eating rocks, not The Body-for-LIFE products.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
The departments I'm familiar with have a fitness standard that must be met in order to get hired. Afterwards though, there isn't any further mandatory fitness testing. Some places have voluntary testing with a small paycheck bonus, special item to wear or other incentive for passing.

I'd like to see mandatory fitness testing. The problem with making fitness testing mandatory is that admin must articulate that a certain level of fitness is job specific. That can be difficult. For example how do you argue that it is necessary for a LEO to be able to run 2 miles at all, much less why he must run it in xx minutes??? When was the last time anyone ever heard of a cop in a 2 mile foot chase? What part of a LEO's job require pushups?

It isn't impossible to articulate a job specific level of fitness, but administrations have to put the effort into linking it to job performance and then be willing to fight the complaints/grievances/suits that will inevitably occur. When you combine that with the fact that every department has one or more favorite "good 'ol boy" that absolutely cannot pass any semblance of a PT test but nobody wants to see fired, and it just isn't worth it make testing mandatory.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is a fat printer repair guy

and a fat construction worker

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some places have voluntary testing with a small paycheck bonus, special item to wear or other incentive for passing..

Some people just aren't going to get with the program no matter what you offer though.

Agencies have had their own gyms installed, paid regular base rate for "exercise hours", full reimbursement for exercise equipment purchases, etc....and guys still won't do shit.

You can't do much better than getting paid to workout.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#19]
There are still some weight requirements for hiring and for academy entry but once on the job get as fast as you want.   There are few with mandatory fitness testing but typically reward passing as opposed to penalizing failing it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I know for a fact that my department has forced super fat guys off the job. A guy from my precinct was the first one in department history.

"I'm the first guy to get fired for being too fat" -PG
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Local departments no longer have annual fitness requirements.  I bet this is the way most are going.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#23]
alot of the cops down here are on the brown side of ripe when it comes to weight

at least the ones i pay attention to anyhow

there has to be a limit though
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I was once hit by a newly licensed teenager.  T-Boned my towncar with his mom's mini-van.  The locality's Chief of police came out to make the report.  He never got out of his patrol car... I think it was because he was trapped.  The steering wheel was covered by his stomach.  Guy must have weighed over 500 pounds.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Union employees can get as fat as they want...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#26]
In the late 90s, right out of the Academy we were required to pass a timed obstacle course to even be able to apply to our local dept.  I don't remember what the max time was but there were several guys that couldn't make it. They were not able to apply for a job.

I have no idea how it is now...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I keep forgetting that union members can never get fired.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#28]
We had a really big guy at our department.  I was in roll call years ago.  After all the information was read, an officer stood up.  He asked that we all have a moment of silence for the cow who gave his life so that (I think the officer's name was Dave) could have a Sam Browne belt.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an accurate statment about getting as fat as they want where I live.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120115/NEWS01/701159882/0
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Varies by agency.

This. Virginia State Police for example has a certain range for height to weight ratio you must meet. Others will have just physical fitness standards.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Whats funny is when you GIS "fat cops" its mostly inner city (most likely union) cops that show up.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Guess it would depend on the dept.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We had a local officer get fired for not being able to stand on his own from kneeling during a qualification shoot.  The courts ordered him rehired and he came back bigger than before.

He finally retired after being put on paid administrative leave the day he came back.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://vice.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c625053ef011279758d8628a4-400wi

That picture wasn't even at his peak.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]
STOP! Or I will confiscate your lunch!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://vice.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c625053ef011279758d8628a4-400wi

That picture wasn't even at his peak.

I seem to recall watching a news story with him sitting in court drinking a diet Pepsi.  From the looks of his poor fitting suit it must have worked slightly, or maybe his arms just got shorter.

My cousin got hired on in Bellevue and had some interesting stories about the types he was having to train with.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an accurate statment about getting as fat as they want where I live.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120115/NEWS01/701159882/0

If my department in the most liberal city in the world can get rid such union officers I'm sure yours can too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#38]

If thats real....imagine it nekkid...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Those are exactly the cops I want to get in a foot chase with.  Heck, could be looting an electronics store and wouldn't even have to drop the big screen TV to make my get-away.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I just passed the PT test for new job as a federal police officer with Dept of the Air Force. 29 sit-ups, 300meter sprint, 21 push-ups, and 1& 1/2 mile run. Not terribly rigorous, but I'm friggin 49 years old. I thought I was done with PT tests when I retired from USAF 7 years ago!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I know for a fact that I'm going to eat this post, but whatever.  

I've always wanted to be a police officer, never wanted to do much else with my life.  Always been a big guy.  After high school, I balooned, badly.  I was 464 in 2008, and knew I'd never be able to do anything at all in life, let alone become a cop.  Since then, I'm down to just over 300, and still losing.  I currently work in dispatch until I'm physically ready to test.  We have an obstacle course with a 6ft wall, and for the sake of an officer I may be backing up, I'm not going to apply until I can clear the 6ft wall with ease.  I'm a strong guy, bf% was at 27% when last tested, I compete in powerlifting on a state and national level.  But until I drop weight and am able to run comfortably and clear that wall, I'm not going to apply.

From a big guy, I think police officer should be able to pass a physical agility test at the minimum, ones weight is not always an indication of physical ability, however the fellas pictured clearly have fallen below the line of safety to themselves and others.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I would hate to call in a emergency and have someone like that answer the call 4 out of times I get the feeling they would be in a heap at the front door.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I've always wanted to be a police officer, never wanted to do much else with my life.  Always been a big guy.  After high school, I balooned, badly.  I was 464 in 2008, and knew I'd never be able to do anything at all in life, let alone become a cop.  Since then, I'm down to just over 300, and still losing.  I currently work in dispatch until I'm physically ready to test.  We have an obstacle course with a 6ft wall, and for the sake of an officer I may be backing up, I'm not going to apply until I can clear the 6ft wall with ease.  I'm a strong guy, bf% was at 27% when last tested, I compete in powerlifting on a state and national level.  But until I drop weight and am able to run comfortably and clear that wall, I'm not going to apply.

From a big guy, I think police officer should be able to pass a physical agility test at the minimum, ones weight is not always an indication of physical ability, however the fellas pictured clearly have fallen below the line of safety to themselves and others.

Good on you sir.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#44]

FIFY

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#45]
They're not all in urban areas - I took this photo in a town of 12k.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Police officers and weight limits....is there one?

Doesn't seem to be in my town. The rule seems to be if the tires don't blow out when he gets in the cruiser, he's good to go. There seems to be another rule about IQs not going into triple digits but I can't document that one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good on you, keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#48]
These folks are just taking the motto "Taking A Bite Out of Crime" too literally.

About two-thirds of American adults are overweight, and a third qualify as obese, according to federal health statistics. The numbers are even worse for law-enforcement officials, according to a 2003 survey published by the FBI; it ranked 80 percent of the respondents as overweight or obese.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/pounds-167610-lose-april.html
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or that your union just sucks. Not mutually exclusive propositions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#50]

I know the Bond County Illinois deputy that pulled me over was the fattest, possessed the worst physical hygiene and was most slovenly officer I've ever seen, and I've been to all 57 states in the Union.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top