BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2004 11:09:10 PM EDT

www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/31/officer.killed.ap/index.html

Police officer run over by partner dies

Sunday, October 31, 2004 Posted: 5:39 PM EST (2239 GMT)

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A police officer died early Sunday after she got out of her patrol car to chase a suspect on foot and was run over by her partner.

Officer Amy Donovan was on patrol late Saturday when she and her partner, Officer Adrian Valdovino, saw someone engaged in "suspicious activity," said Police Chief Stan Knee.

Donovan jumped from the car to question the man but he fled on foot.

Valdovino put the car in reverse to try to stop the man and the car struck Donovan, the chief said.

The suspect escaped.

Donovan, 37, is the first female Austin Police Department officer to die in the line of duty, officials said.

She had four children and had left a career as an investment banker to become an officer, Knee said. She graduated in the top 10 percent of her cadet class in June. Valdovino was one of her classmates.

"Amy took to heart the responsibility of being a commissioned police officer in this community," Knee told reporters.

Knee said the department has started an investigation that will include a review of the way officers handle foot pursuits.

Valdovino was placed on leave until the investigation is completed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
two rookies out of the academy riding together, bet that changes
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
At least the other officer went home safe.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
two rookies out of the academy riding together, bet that changes

I don't think that's accurate.  I believe the author didn't properly represent the facts.  In Austin, you don't get released from your FTO that early.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I hope like hell this is a joke.

If it's not, grow the fuck up.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope like hell this is a joke.

Dave

If you spent more than 15 minutes a week on this site you'd already know it was a joke.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering when Amy's death would make it onto ARFCOM so that idiots could make jokes and asshole comments
The story presented is very innaccurate.

For the record. They were riding in the same car because due to budget cuts,  we don't have enough cars for everyone.  It had nothing to do with their  status.   Both officers were from the same cadet class and had completed all training.  Amy is the SECOND  to die from her class.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
She had four children and had left a career as an investment banker to become an officer

What is the story with that ---

she is a mom and takes on a dangerous job.

Was she a thrill seeker ???
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sorry, but far too often posters here are not joking about that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Was she a thrill seeker ???

Whats that got to do with anything.  Some of you people have no soul.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]
This isn't a time for the standard jokes.  She died in the line of duty, trying to catch a possible perp.  johninaustin, sounds like Austin's got a problem.  Two KIA from the same class in one year?  That is way outside the norm.  Bad luck or crime wave?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow. A police officer is killed attempting to arrest someone and it turns into a joke. I wish I was surprised.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Really bad luck then.

Condolences to the families of the fallen.  Four kids don't have a mother this morning.

And a few want to make jokes about it.

News flash people.  This shit ain't funny.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#19]
My Sympathies to her Loved ones.

The Chick-Cop who was driving..........We're supposed to trust her with a GUN?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry guys.  I'm not going to subject Amy to the typical ARCOM police post.   I will just say that  not one of the versions (plus comments) I have seen on three different boards is even close.   Let it go please.

She was one heck of a lady.

Funeral is at 10 on Thursday  in Georgetown.  The suspect she was chasing has been caught,  wanted on a parole revocation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#21]
John,

My condolences and prayers go out to Amy's family and the rest of Austin PD.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Didn't see where it said the driver was female. I've seen "Adrian" used as a man's name several times
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was wondering when Amy's death would make it onto ARFCOM so that idiots could make jokes and asshole comments

For the record. They were riding in the same car because due to budget cuts,  we don't have enough cars for everyone.  It had nothing to do with their  status.   Both officers were from the same cadet class and had completed all training.  Amy is the SECOND  to die from her class.

My buddy Mike M. that was in her class sent me an email about the incident... I had read about it on KVUE's website.  

I don't care if she had been an officer for 1 month or 20 years, losing her is a very sad event.  My prayers are with her family.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy Mike M. that was in her class sent me an email about the incident... I had read about it on KVUE's website.  

I don't care if she had been an officer for 1 month or 20 years, losing her is a very sad event.  My prayers are with her family.  

Well what the heck happened ???

It is beginning to sound like some kind of cover up---

get out of a car and get run over ---

what exactly happened ???
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I would only hope that we all have such kind thoughts, understanding, and condolences when anyone dies in this or similar situations on either side of the blue line.

Understood?

It ain't gonna happen, ETH.  If she hadn't been a cop, it would all be HER fault for being in the
wrong place at the wrong time - I.E.:

"Only an idiot would run into the path of a moving vehicle while chasing a perp!"  

"She should've un-assed the AO!"  

"If you do stupid stuff sometimes it costs you your life!"  

"Tough shit - I'm not going to miss my afternoon nap over it!".  

^^^That's the way the LEO's here react (specifically, toward the girl who took the pepperball in the eye!)

So, why wasn't this cop just in "the wrong place at the wrong time?" Hmmmm?  

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=286602

Prayers out to her family, friends and loved ones.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Let me say this - The Austin PD gets a bad rap from many sides - especially from the local newspaper, the Austin American Statesman.  The paper is ALWAYS trying to stir up trouble and never mentions ths good that the APD does.  It has been my experience that the officers with the APD that I have met have been very professional.  I would take ANY press report, which probably came through the Statesman, with a grain of salt.

That being said, I met many of the members of the last academy class, and was very impressed with their character.  I believe that I met Amy, who, if I recall correctly, was a short little person but had a lot of personality.  These cadets were all go getters, and looked forward to putting on their military surplus BDU's and going through the paces, learning what it takes to make a good officer.

PS:  god help the person who jokes about an officer getting killed in the line of duty within my hearing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#29]
What john?  you're saying the news media reports were inaccurate?

What a shitty situation for both officers.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Over the last year I have met more APD officers that I would have really wanted to.  (break-ins in  my old neigborhood).  I have nothing but respect for those that I have met.  They do a hard job to the best of their abilitiy.  

While they have had increadable response times when there was a threat at hand, it was also very appearent that they were understaffed (on several occasions I (or neighbors) called in threats to have the officer arrive almost before we got off the phone with dispatch).  However, when the threat was over, response time went to over 6 hours - and even then it was only a face show - they were very point blank in that they did not have the time to do investigations that were unlikely to lead to a conviction.

Still 5 squad cars at my house 3 minutes after the break in did scare the perp enough the the robberies stopped.  

just a funny note - frist break in they found my gun safe and broke off their screw driver trying to pry it open.  (wasted so much time on it, really did not steal much else)  Second time the safe only had a 80 lb bag of cement in it, but then again the perp only made it about 3 ft into the house before setting off the alarm.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope like hell KNOW this is a joke.

Dave

If you spent more than 15 minutes a week on this site you'd already know it was a joke.

I do spend more than 15 minutes a week on this site, and I did know it was a joke.  

A poor joke in very bad taste.

As such I have fixed my quote.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought I'd go back and revisit and old thread (mentioned above) and pull up a few responses posted towards another girl who was in the "wrong place at the wrong time".  What were the reactions then?

Shit happens, she was caught in a bad spot, I'm sure the officer wasn't aiming for her..

A3kid... Ask yourself this question.... If you have kids, are your kids raised well enough to KNOW BETTER not to take part in the type of actions

Like putting yourself in the path of a moving vehicle?

Yup, again the AR15 reaction.............. Someone was hurt by the police, outrageous...................

So is it sad, or outrageous this time?

I don't think the police did anything wrong.

If you change a couple words in this one, it's really good:

She was in the middle of a RIOT (path of a vehicle?) . She CHOSE to be there. She did not leave, she did not walk away

Not attempting to be disrepectful to her or the family, but shit happens is a general rule of thumb.

This is rather entertaining...

I dont think the police did anything wrong here.

If you run across a freeway at night bad things happen.

Or into the path of a vehicle?

A good girl would not have been there.

Sometimes a case of dumbass is terminal.

One less dumbass girl to propegate her genes.

Yep I've seen a picture of her, she is a pretty nice looking white girl.
I would probably hit it but the police already have.

People die every day. It's a fact of life and it's sad. BUT if you're doing something stupid and thus contributing to your own death, it's not quite as sad.

No, the cop DID NOT do anything wrong...

The one who ran over her?

Tough shit for the girl, that's what happens

"Whatever"

The girl made a choice to be in the WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME. Thank goodness she won't be passing on her defective genes and bad behavior to another generation. +1 for Darwin.

No, there ain't no blue line here.    LMAO!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#33]
The part that everyone here is missing. They were attempting to stop a possible perp who decided to run. When he ran she jumped out of the car and gave chase. Her partner backed the car up and ran over her.
The issue here is the ass-hat who ran from the cops. He should be charged with homocide, manslaughter, something. I am sooooo tired of hearing of the bad guys running from the cops. It has become a game now.
In my new world, I would have a dog in every car. If you run we cut the dog loose on your butt. I will get around to pulling the dog off when I get some free time. If you deecide to run in a car, you signed your death warrant. The police should shoot the driver of all high speed chases.
The only way this will stop is to make the punishment far worse than the crime.
Please respect this womens family. We here in Austin mourn her death.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The part that everyone here is missing. They were attempting to stop a possible perp who decided to run. When he ran she jumped out of the car and gave chase. Her partner backed the car up and ran over her.
The issue here is the ass-hat who ran from the cops. He should be charged with homocide, manslaughter, something. I am sooooo tired of hearing of the bad guys running from the cops. It has become a game now.
In my new world, I would have a dog in every car. If you run we cut the dog loose on your butt. I will get around to pulling the dog off when I get some free time. If you deecide to run in a car, you signed your death warrant. The police should shoot the driver of all high speed chases.
The only way this will stop is to make the punishment far worse than the crime.
Please respect this womens family. We here in Austin mourn her death.

While her death is a tragedy and certainly not something to joke about, it is foolish to think that an officers mistake should result in a criminal charge against the man running from the police.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#36]

What john? you're saying the news media reports were inaccurate?

The Blue wall is up ---
she or her partner did something wrong --- this has a smell about it...

Shame --------------- what really happened ???
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter what ya say; they'll still bash an LEO any chance they get.
My condolences.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, WHATEVER the hell happened to cuase Her to die....God Bless Her.

She sounds like (From my extremely limited information about Her) someone who gave-a-sh*t and was out there living that fact.

Thanks and, Godspeed Mam'!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#41]
A mother of four has no business being a cop.

CRC
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What john? you're saying the news media reports were inaccurate?

The Blue wall is up ---
she or her partner did something wrong --- this has a smell about it...

Shame --------------- what really happened ???

From what I can determine, one officer left the patrol car to start a foot pursuit.  As she exited the vehicle she ran to the towards the rear of the vehicle.  The officer who was driving then turned the wheel to the right and put the vehicle in reverse in order to turn the vehicle around.  The officer on foot was then pinned between the vehicle and a telephone pole.  If she would have been 1 step slower, or 1 step faster, the only damage would have been a minor collision between a car and a pole.  

I have no way to confirm the above information.  I only saw what the local TV news put on the the screen.  It's just a damn tragic accident.  Sure, there are a bunch of "if such and such, or so and so" would have happened, then this situation would not have been as tragic as it is.

My deepest sympathies to all of those involved.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't see where it said the driver was female. I've seen "Adrian" used as a man's name several times

CORRECTION (If you are correct): The Cop who was driving......we're supposed to trust them with a GUN?

That better for you?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

CRC

I agree

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Wow, some of you guys blow my mind.  A3kid, are you really a "kid" as your name indicates?  Sounds like it!

A mother of four should'nt be a cop?

Comparing a rioter to a police officer killed in the line of duty?  

So cops chasing a suspect are "in the wrong place at the wrong time"?  That's kind of like saying those boys dieing in Iraq are in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I guess they are the same as the trailer trash that shoot eachother over meth fueds, etc.  

THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOMEONE WHO GETS HIT BY A CAR WHILE SERVING AND PROTECTING THE PEOPLE OF HER CITY AND SOMEONE WHO GETS HIT BY A CAR OUT OF SHEER BAD LUCK!!!

If I get killed in the line of duty, I'm coming back to haunt you A**holes!

Calm down man.  The responses I posted above, were responses that were posted about a young lady that happened to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time.  Read the entire thread.  There is NOTHING mentioned in the entire topic that would lead a reasonable person to believe, that that particular girl had anything to do with that riot.  She was just "In the wrong place, at the wrong time".

WTF is the difference?  One wears a badge and is worthy of mourning?  One was in the wrong place, at the wrong time?  Think about it.

Look in the mirror.  Think about it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
A3kid, are you really a "kid" as your name indicates?  Sounds like it!

And just who in the hell's ass did you kiss to become a moderator of "?" forum?

All I did was SHOW the difference in responses from Members here, and how they differed between a LEO that got whacked, and  kid that wasn't actively involved in a riot.  Got that shit?

One of 'em "deserved" what happened, or "should have expected it".

The other one, well - she was a cop.   Let the tears flow.  (There's a difference, between one and the other, right?)

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

I agree

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

CRC

How about a father of four, would you feel the same about that.
 I don't see why her being a mother makes a difference.  Just my opinion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top