Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2002 7:52:57 AM EDT
I live in this town, how come I never find shit like this on the side of the road?

[b]Probe Ordered After Machine Gun Lost From Truck[/b]

WILSON, N.C. -- An internal affairs investigation began after two Raleigh police officers lost a submachine gun and a pistol on their way to teach a law enforcement class, police said Wednesday.

The weapons later were found by commuters and turned in to police in Wilson, about 45 miles east of Raleigh, where officers were teaching the class.

"There is an ongoing internal affairs investigation into how they fell out" of the officers' pickup truck, said Maj. John Kramer of the Raleigh Police Department.

"We're going to look at the whole sequence of events."

Raleigh police Officer A.A. Boone called 911 on Tuesday morning to report two missing firearms. Boone and another Raleigh officer were in Wilson to teach a submachine gun certification course to other officers at a community college.

At some point after arriving in Wilson, the officers realized that two bags of gear were missing from the back of their pickup truck.

The contents of those two nylon padded bags included one MP-5 submachine gun, one Smith & Wesson handgun, several spare magazines, some notebooks and other supplies for the class.

An MP-5 is capable of firing 800 rounds per minute of 9mm ammunition from a 15- or 30-round magazine.

Kramer said everything that fell out of the truck had been recovered and that the officers had permission to use the Raleigh-owned firearms for the course. The officers were working on their own time teaching the course.

After they arrived in town - but before they got to the firing range where they were to teach the class - the two retraced their drive and tried to find the guns, then called local police. The class was postponed.

"They made a mistake, but they immediately notified us, and we immediately got on it," said Wilson Police Chief John Powell. "It could have been ugly had they failed to report it."

About two dozen Wilson police officers and Wilson County sheriff's deputies assisted in the search for the two guns, which lasted until about 5 p.m. Some walked alongside a road looking for the weapons.

A Wilson resident who found the bag containing the submachine gun took the bag home, then notified authorities after realizing what was inside.

A woman traveling U.S. 264 in Knightdale found the handgun Tuesday morning. She went to work, notifying authorities of her discovery shortly before 5 p.m.

The machine gun class was one of about 40 taught at Coastal Plain Law Enforcement Center, which is operated by Wilson Technical Community College.

About 4,000 people a year attend the college's continuing education courses for firefighters and law enforcement and emergency medical personnel, said Tish Scott, a spokeswoman for the college.

"We do a ton of law enforcement training and fire and rescue," said Scott.

Other courses range from hand-to-hand combat and drug identification to close-quarter pistol tactics and crime scene management.

The course description said it is recommended for officers who want to increase their knowledge and skill in handling the MP-5, UMP-40 and -45, Colt and H&K submachine guns. Students were advised to bring plenty of ammunition.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Not the first time.

Awhile back there was a HKPro thread about a female FBI agent who left here MP540, Beretta M9, laptop computer and a bunch of other stuff unattended in the front of her car while she ate dinner. The car was broken into, the unsecured weapons stolen and never recovered.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh geez,  what a find THAT would have been.  Whoa.  I'd still be grinning.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what we call in the LE business as  an "oopsypoo".  There'll probably be a couple of openings as PO's at the Raleigh Police Dept. soon.  Sad to say that tho.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would love to make that find, then wait for the reward to be posted!  Imagine the fun you could have with that toy in the meantime though?!?!  WOW!  Luckily it was a nice woman that found the gun and not some thug though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
According to the Internal Affairs investigation the guys apparently mistakenly put a duffel bag of confiscated coke and ecstasy under the bags of guns. When they met the party they were going to re-sell the drugs to they set the guns on the ground out of the way. They then closed the trunk and put the drug bag on it to verify its contents. after a little taste test and the exchange of cash they were high and nervous. They wanted to keep the drug cash up front so they could divide it, and consequently they never re-opened the trunk. Simple mistake.

Oops, time to make the donuts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh geez,  what a find THAT would have been.  Whoa.  I'd still be grinning.
View Quote

I would have a few photos of me and the gear.
for saftey reasons i would have had to testfire the MP5 to verify it was operationally safe... and then return it to the police. [}:)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
DAMN MY LUCK!!  Why couldn't that have been me?!?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
DAMN MY LUCK!!  Why couldn't that have been me?!?  I have a feeling the weapons would be been returned after firing about 15,000 rounds to ensure that it was a real MP5 and not an airsoft gun.  DAMN MY LUCK!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't want to be caught with an LEO marked weapon. If you did keep it, you'd have to practically burry the sucker, which would mean little to no fun with it unless you lived out in the middle of nowhere.

If i fount an LEO MP5 i would report it as soon as possible and ask if i may attend one of their classes as a guest. which they probably would not do. It would only be fair. i'd do it if someone recovered one of my weapons as a courtesy.

lib
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
We oughta have a poll on how many would turn it in. I've never stolen anything, ever, but that would be tough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've occasionally questioned the qualifications of some of my teachers in the past.. but man... if you're teaching a submachine gun certification course and you lose one in the process... [b]it's time to find a new profession!!![/b]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
ok, ok.  i am busted. i did it :)  j/k
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I say finders keepers, losers snoozers. Don't drop the pretties out on my road.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Only the police are responsible enough to own select fire weapons.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple of years ago, the FBI had some sort of "response team" training in Memphis, TN.  While in their motel rooms, the Suburban they were in was stolen and it was full of ammo and automatic weapons.  There was a lot of egg on the faces of some FBI when that occurred.  They did find the burned out suburban but cannot remember if they found the weapons.  Can you imagine the look on the faces of the gangsters when they realized, they had not stolen "any old soccer mom's suburban?"
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A couple of years ago, the FBI had some sort of "response team" training in Memphis, TN.  While in their motel rooms, the Suburban they were in was stolen and it was full of ammo and automatic weapons.  There was a lot of egg on the faces of some FBI when that occurred.  They did find the burned out suburban but cannot remember if they found the weapons.  Can you imagine the look on the faces of the gangsters when they realized, they had not stolen "any old soccer mom's suburban?"
View Quote

First of all, can you imagine the looks on the Fibbie's faces when they looked for the truck? "Where'd you park it, Barney?" "I don't know, Andy!"  >gg<

Yes, they did recover some, if not most, of the weaponery. Thugs cannot keep a secret any better than us here & they had to brag about it.  >gg<  There was a reward, you do the math.

Memphis is one of the highest car theft cities in the US, IIRC. I wonder if those agents are enjoying their new posts in Burrow, Alaska???  >evil grin<
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top