Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2008 8:28:02 PM EDT

November 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM
Nearly 100 teens marched outside Chicago police headquarters tonight to protest the department's plans to equip officers with semi-automatic rifles, saying the weapons could make the streets more dangerous.

Carrying signs like "Stop the War on Youth," teens said they didn't trust police with the high-powered weapons and worried gangs would be encouraged to bolster their own arsenals.

"The only people who need these guns are in Iraq," said Arthur McGraw, 19, an organizer with the nonprofit Southwest Youth Collaborative, which organized the rally. "It'll shoot through brick, car doors. Say your family is in the house eating and there's some gang violence. When they shoot these [the bullets] can come into your house and shoot your kids."

Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said Thursday that though police have ordered and received some of the guns, police are not yet using them. Their use will be phased in over the next three years.

In April police Supt. Jody Weis said he wanted to equip all of the department's officers with the high-powered weapons as part of an overall crime-fighting strategy, arguing that officers are outgunned on the streets. Officers currently carry pistols, and only SWAT officers carry rifles, M4 carbines.

Mayor Richard Daley publicly backed Weis' plan, saying the rifles would put officers on equal footing with armed gangs and criminals.

I say good for the cops. I hope these aren't fully auto though. I sure wouldn't wanna trust your average flatfoot with one of those.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
"When they shoot these [the bullets] can come into your house and shoot your kids."

Bullets that shoot bullets - What a cool idea!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a problem with it only because the average citizen in Chicago cannot even have a pistol for self defense.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for the protesters!  If the public can't have AR's then neither should the cops....come to think of it they can turn in their pistols too.  

Fair's fair.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"When they shoot these [the bullets] can come into your house and shoot your kids."

Bullets that shoot bullets - What a cool idea!

Hmmm, how to capitalize on this . . .
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It's OK for the average citizen to have a select fire full auto, but place one in the hands of a LEO and they instantly become dangerous?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a problem with it only because the average citizen in Chicago cannot even have a pistol for self defense.

What does that have to do with arming the cops??
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said.....

.....that teens should shut their fucking pie holes regarding matters in which they're woefully ignorant.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
So no private citizen can buy a hand gun in Chicago .

They can't buy an AR

What can they purchase there?

shotguns and hunting rifles?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Frangible ammo is obviously beyond youth comprehension. I suppose they get their expertise from CNN.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If liberals had it their way they would disarm the police as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Hilarious.  That's what you get for indoctrinating people to believe that guns are bad.  I hope this the beginning of a trend.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread should be called "Man Bites Dog".

It is great to hear the population castigate the police for having mean, nasty weapons, instead of the usual case where police do it to us.

Maybe we need to write up some talking points for these kids to use, like:

1. Why do you need these kinds of dangerous weapons?

2. Those guns were designed just to kill people.

3. We need to get these kinds of weapons off the street.

4. Are those machine guns?

5. Do you have to have a special police certification to even shoot one of those rifles?

6. I am really uncomfortable with you carrying a rifle that shoots a military-caliber bullet.

7. What in the world do you need a magazine that holds 30 rounds of citizen-killing bullets for?

8. How many magazines do you have on your tactical vest?

9. Shouldn't there be a limit as to how much ammunition you can have on you at one time?

10. If you have to have that kind of weapon, join the military and go to Iraq or A-stan.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They can't buy register or store an AR

NOPE..cant register them

without jumping through hoops you are F'd IN Chicago
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wish they would.  90 days later it would illegal for citizens not to carry a gun in the US after they all went apeshit over crime.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Chicago gun laws aside....

Where do you find 100 losers to protest police arming themselves with AR-15's?

Who are these "teens" and why does this motivate them?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish they would.  90 days later it would illegal for citizens not to carry a gun in the US after they all went apeshit over crime.

Nope the libs would then form special armed units while outlawing swords bats large knives etc.  It is the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chicago gun laws aside....

Where do you find 100 losers to protest police arming themselves with AR-15's?

Who are these "teens" and why does this motivate them?

I am sure a Chicago community organizer is behind this.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can't buy register or store an AR

NOPE..cant register them

without jumping through hoops you are F'd IN Chicago

wow

I didn't know you can't buy one and if you could you have to register your hunting rifle.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Reap the benefits of years of demonizing objects.   Part of me says fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Carrying signs like "Stop the War on Youth," teens said they didn't trust police with the high-powered weapons and worried gangs would be encouraged to bolster their own arsenals.

Cant you guys see this?

If the criminals see that the cops aren't arming themselves with ARs, they wont feel the need to get their own!

They will stick with 19s and 92s and 870s!

All they want is a level playing field!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
"Mayor Richard Daley publicly backed Weis' plan, saying the rifles would put officers on equal footing with armed gangs and criminals."

Equal footing?  Do gangs and criminals have automatic weapons? How can the gangs in Chicago be better armed than the police?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6278/26043917rz2.gif

LOL it needs a little gun in its hand so it can shoot some kids

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe they should stop being violent criminals.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]
but my baby din do nuffin wrong
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6278/26043917rz2.gif

LOL it needs a little gun in its hand so it can shoot some kids

D'OH! I knew I forgot something

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Fine with me.

Cops are citizens too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
The "teen" who made those stupid fucking comments needs to be fucking chocked.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I bet if you look at the murder rate... its more dangerous in Chicago than in much of Iraq.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
but my baby din do nuffin wrong

I'm confused; are you saying your baby is the Chicago police department?  If that is the case, then your inability to write a complete sentence in proper english would explain why Chicago PD constantly implements stupid policies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The "teen" who made those stupid fucking comments needs to be fucking chocked.

Indeed.

Chock the shit outta 'em.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a bit torn on how to respond to such an article. On one hand, they are ignorant liberal kids that do not know what they speak of. Then there is the little fact that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If the citizens of Chicago cannot own them, then perhaps the police should not as well. Clearly their gun control is not working if said weapons are already illegal, and the police need to arm themselves to be on equal footing with the gang bangers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#34]
All the dense population areas in this country are becoming EXTREMELY PUSSIFIED.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I have no problem with it. Chicago is hypocrisy at it's finest like so many other shitholes around this country.
If guns are so dangerous in their eyes to restrict them from the citizens than the cops are citizens too and should be playing by the same rules no way about it. I'm fucking tired of this shit.
The streets can be dangerous everywhere and there's nothing right in the police protecting themselves properly while everyone else can't.
Fuck em. They don't like it, than try living up to serving the constitution and protect those rights for everyone.
Members here who believe so strongly in the 2nd amendment and work in departments like this are just helping to support it to me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#37]
interesting. While I I think its fine for the police to posses these, it is ironic that folks are protesting this. After all, Barry did say these guns don't belong on American streets.

But than again, how many of these kids will end up on the receiving end pone day when they go to rob a bank?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
That's hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
7. What in the world do you need a magazine that holds 30 rounds of citizen-killing bullets for?

LOL!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Old news, from back when this was first announced.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#42]
OK kids, next time there's a violent shooting at your school, barricaded suspect with hostages, or high risk warrant that needs served, we will just love the criminal's illegal guns from them, hope for a peaceful resolution, and change their habits and behavior to convert them to peaceful law abiding contributing members of society.

These HIGH POWER EVIL WEAPONS have no place in the hands of law enforcement.

F'kin retards.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah that
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Idiots, every last one of them. We better take rifles away from the Army and Marines while we're at it.  We dont want the military shooting teenaged terrorists
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Cant you guys see this?

If the criminals see that the cops aren't arming themselves with ARs, they wont feel the need to get their own!

They will stick with 19s and 92s and 870s!

All they want is a level playing field!

Unpossible! Citizens can't have guns in Chicago, why would gangs be armed at all!?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OK kids, next time there's a violent shooting at your school, barricaded suspect with hostages, or high risk warrant that needs served, we will just love the criminal's illegal guns from them, hope for a peaceful resolution, and change their habits and behavior to convert them to peaceful law abiding contributing members of society.

F'kin retards.

Great point.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]
The anti-gun propaganda that the City of Shitcago has been pushing for decades, INCLUDING THEIR PD, is coming home to roost. Couldn't have happened to a bigger group of assholes in my opinion.

I am behind these protesters 110%. If you shoot an armed burglar in your home in Shitcago they will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. Now the PD doesn't understand why people are afraid of the police having M4s. Poor guys. I almost feel bad about this backlash...ALMOST!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

F'kin retards.

Let the people of Shitcago own and carry their own firearms and maybe I'll care. Until then, and as long as the Shitcago PD keeps pushing the notion that guns are only for people in uniform then they can fuck right off!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

F'kin retards.

Let the people of Shitcago own and carry their own firearms and maybe I'll care. Until then, and as long as the Shitcago PD keeps pushing the notion that guns are only for people in uniform then they can fuck right off!

Except for felons, I dont think we as gun owners should support anyone not having guns they want or need.  I doubt every officer in Chicago is anti gun wacko.  Dont punish the good guys because of the anti gun idiot department heads.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Chicago gun laws are so screwed up at his point.  They need to have some large changes in legislature before they can get their rights back.  Fuck Chicago and there  anti American policies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top