User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 6:52:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
DWAT?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's been missing since the 70's I doubt they are going to find it now. I hope it got a good home. It would be a travesty if a fine firearm like that was destroyed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably collecting dust in the house of a former chief or something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
That was the first class three I ever bought. One like it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Probably collecting dust in the house of a former chief or something.

This.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]

About the 12 years ago the Chief of the Jersey City Police Dept at that time called a local gun store that dealt with Class III stuff (Now Out of Business ) and wanted to trade 6 original Auto -Ordnance Thompson Machineguns for Ar-15s. He wanted a one for one trade.

The Gun -Shop say SURE!!

Eventually, an officer I know and a fellow collector told the Chief the market value of the guns.

The Chief tried to get the Tommy Guns back but it was to late they had been sold out of State.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

About the 12 years ago the Chief of the Jersey City Police Dept at that time called a local gun store that dealt with Class III stuff (Now Out of Business ) and wanted to trade 6 original Auto -Ordnance Thompson Machineguns for Ar-15s. He wanted a one for one trade.

The Gun -Shop say SURE!!

Eventually, an officer I know and a fellow collector told the Chief the market value of the guns.

The Chief tried to get the Tommy Guns back but it was to late they had been sold out of State.

How did they go out of business making deals like that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Gun -Shop say SURE!!

How did they go out of business making deals like that?

Easy !!!   It's New Jersey  

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police get leads on missing machine gun

McClatchy Regional News
OTTAWA - An investigation into a missing or stolen World War II-era machine gun from the Ottawa Police Department has turned up leads from the public, Police Chief Dennis Butler said.

"We have made progress investigating this case," he said. "I am optimistic that the police department will recover the gun and resolve this matter."

The machine gun –– a German model MP40 9mm machine gun with the serial number 3906P –– hasn't been seen since the early 1970s.

Butler released information about the gun earlier this year in hopes of gathering information from the public.

Butler said previously that in May 2007, he requested a list of weapons inventory from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms as part of a self-initiated internal audit.

When the machine gun on the list wasn't immediately found, police personnel searched extensively for it.

Following the unsuccessful search, Butler contacted the ATF for further assistance.

http://www.kansas.com/news/state/story/795199.html

He requested a list of what he should have from the BATFE?

50/50 odds this is a wild goose chase caused by the shitty recordkeeping at the BATFE NFA registry. It has always been riddled with errors, especially from the 70's.

Not the smartest thing to do...

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police get leads on missing machine gun

McClatchy Regional News
OTTAWA - An investigation into a missing or stolen World War II-era machine gun from the Ottawa Police Department has turned up leads from the public, Police Chief Dennis Butler said.

"We have made progress investigating this case," he said. "I am optimistic that the police department will recover the gun and resolve this matter."

The machine gun –– a German model MP40 9mm machine gun with the serial number 3906P –– hasn't been seen since the early 1970s.

Butler released information about the gun earlier this year in hopes of gathering information from the public.

Butler said previously that in May 2007, he requested a list of weapons inventory from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms as part of a self-initiated internal audit.

When the machine gun on the list wasn't immediately found, police personnel searched extensively for it.

Following the unsuccessful search, Butler contacted the ATF for further assistance.

http://www.kansas.com/news/state/story/795199.html

He requested a list of what he should have from the BATFE?

50/50 odds this is a wild goose chase caused by the shitty recordkeeping at the BATFE NFA registry. It has always been riddled with errors, especially from the 70's.

" Not the smartest thing to do..."

Yep, sombody is going to jail. They just don't know it yet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top