User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2008 9:38:59 PM EDT
http://www.thelocal.de/12199/20080530/

Police find WWII flak cannon in garage
Published: 30 May 08 18:35 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/12199/

German police have discovered a well-preserved WWII anti-aircraft cannon in a German man's garage in part of a series of raids that uncovered more than €100,000 in illegal weapons, German daily Berliner Morgenpost reported on Thursday.

Police discovered the flak cannon, used by the German Wehrmacht in the Second World War, after conducting a search on a family home in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. The 49-year-old resident was in possession of 200 illegal firearms, one kilogramme of explosives, and 15,000 rounds of ammunition. The anti-aircraft cannon was resting where a car would normally park.

"I thought I'd seen everything, but you can always be surprised," chief investigator Manfred Schmandra told the paper.

The cannon is not in working condition, but Schmandra said this could be easily remedied.

The raid was part of 16 searches in three states, Berlin, Saxony-Anhalt, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Schmandra told the paper that police were not planning to prosecute most of the weapon owners. "From what we can tell, they are all collectors who got in touch online. But there is still a danger from these weapons. Someone could get a hold of them, or unused ammunition could be dangerous in the case of a house fire," he told Berliner Morgenpost.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Damn
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
In before someone asks his sn on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I, for one, am jealous
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Its good that they are not charging most of the people they raided.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Vee vill confizkate your property to keep you zafe from yourzelff.  Yavhol MeinHerr.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

German police have discovered a well-preserved WWII anti-aircraft cannon in a German man's garage in part of a series of raids that uncovered more than €100,000 in illegal weapons, German daily Berliner Morgenpost reported on Thursday.

Police discovered the flak cannon, used by the German Wehrmacht in the Second World War, after conducting a search on a family home in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. The 49-year-old resident was in possession of 200 illegal firearms, one kilogramme of explosives, and 15,000 rounds of ammunition. The anti-aircraft cannon was resting where a car would normally park.

"I thought I'd seen everything, but you can always be surprised," chief investigator Manfred Schmandra told the paper.

The cannon is not in working condition, but Schmandra said this could be easily remedied.

The raid was part of 16 searches in three states, Berlin, Saxony-Anhalt, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Schmandra told the paper that police were not planning to prosecute most of the weapon owners. "From what we can tell, they are all collectors who got in touch online. But there is still a danger from these weapons. Someone could get a hold of them, or unused ammunition could be dangerous in the case of a house fire," he told Berliner Morgenpost.

Not good.

Yes I know it in Germany, but that could be the good 'ole USA someday soon.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
How many members do we have over there?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]

I wish I had an AA-gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Possibly a 2cm or 3.7cm cannon.  Should take the thing to a museum.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I used to know of a website that sold the 3.7cm weapons, deactivated sadly, but would be a very interesting conversation peice, or hell park it in the lawn
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know if you can put a flux-capacitor and a fusion-generating coffee-maker on a Deuce-and-a-half?  I have an idea.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
This begs the question:

What is the coolest piece of functional military hardware currently in private hands, in the US?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This begs the question:

What is the coolest piece of functional military hardware currently in private hands, in the US?

Guy I re-enacted with a little while back had a fully functional German '88
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to know of a website that sold the 3.7cm weapons, deactivated sadly, but would be a very interesting conversation peice, or hell park it in the lawn

I wish someone would have parked on in my neighborhood as a kid, we would have "shot down" the German, Japanese, and Soviet airforces.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Group buy?

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish someone would have parked on in my neighborhood as a kid, we would have "shot down" the German, Japanese, and Soviet airforces.

Not to far from my house is a cemetary but inside there is I belive, a 75mm field peice, could be 105 as its been many years since I got a chance to look at it, but you were allowed to play on it if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This begs the question:

These are all functional guns, and the M18 is fully operational...

GT
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
i read an article in small arms review about a guy named Bob Farris that had registered a 80mm cannon in the '68 amnesty. it showed pictures of him shooting it in the desert...wild stuff!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010157.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010158.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010155.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010154.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010153.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/100_0408.jpg

GT

Would each round have to be registered as a DD? Or how does that work?

They fire AP shells, no HE. Though they sponsor an artillery shoot once a year also, but I don't get out to those-I just go to fly airplanes for the twice a year shoots..

The largest MG shoot in the US is NOT Knob Creek-it's Big Sandy...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i read an article in small arms review about a guy named Bob Farris that had registered a 80mm cannon in the '68 amnesty. it showed pictures of him shooting it in the desert...wild stuff!

That may be Dangerous Bob... He and Damage LLC have some nifty stuff.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010157.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010158.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010155.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010154.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/P1010153.jpg

i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/MGS%20pics/100_0408.jpg

GT

Would each round have to be registered as a DD? Or how does that work?

They fire AP shells, no HE. Though they sponsor an artillery shoot once a year also, but I don't get out to those-I just go to fly airplanes for the twice a year shoots..

The largest MG shoot in the US is NOT Knob Creek-it's Big Sandy...

That is epicly cool on so many levels
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#24]
What if it was an 88mm AA gun and not a 20 mm or 37 mm AA?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Great pics.    Reminds me of the move "Tank" with James Garner.   He uses his Sherman Tank to go to war with the local sheriff.  I need to watch that one again.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This begs the question:

One day, somehow, I don't know how, but somehow... I'm going to get an Abrams, damnit.

Right up there with the Raptor as one of the coolest pieces of military hardware ever designed, and I've wanted one since the first time I met one in person.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Even better
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Even if the AA gun was made to be functional again, where would he get ammo for it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It might fit, it is a much larger platform.

Mobile 8.8 cm FlaK 37

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobile 8.8 cm FlaK 37

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/8%2C8-cm-Flugabwehrkanone_37.8.8_cm_anti-aircraft_cannon_37.JPG

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/FLAK36-37L56.jpg

Whats the story on this?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I wish I had an AA-gun.

For real. I'd crank some rounds off every 4th if it was legal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#32]
"They fire AP shells, no HE. Though they sponsor an artillery shoot once a year also, but I don't get out to those-I just go to fly airplanes for the twice a year shoots.."

Isn't there an issue with bore size ?
I thought once you got beyond a certain bore diameter it became a DD ???

Just as a side brag: I have been to Knob Creek AND Big Sandy.
And I bought the T-Shirts
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Verdammt!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
"They fire AP shells, no HE. Though they sponsor an artillery shoot once a year also, but I don't get out to those-I just go to fly airplanes for the twice a year shoots.."

Right-the cannons are registered DDs. And if you've been to Big Sandy, you've seen me throwing airplanes off the edge of the line..
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The AA gun would be considered a destructive device, but the AP shells would not be considered DD. At least, thats how I remember it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobile 8.8 cm FlaK 37

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/8%2C8-cm-Flugabwehrkanone_37.8.8_cm_anti-aircraft_cannon_37.JPG

Whats the story on this?

The top gun is at the anti-aircraft museum of Finland in Hyryla of Tuusula

The bottom gun is at Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster , Germany
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I for one ask, what's wrong w/ that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#38]
For a second I thought it was going to be a Barrett .50 cal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

Damn right. That's the same screwed up [non]logic the antis here use. "something MIGHT happen".  Can't have subjects... uhh "citizens" being armed, ya know.

When the government doesn't trust it's own people with guns and wants to take them away, the government has gotten out of control and _knows_ it (otherwise it wouldn't be afraid of it's own people). Best for people to start doing something to get goverment in check _before_ an Adolf is put in charge.

Unfortunately, way too many people in the USA are completely blind to the warnings of history. They forget that our ancestors came here to get AWAY from europe and their screwed up crap.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobile 8.8 cm FlaK 37

Whats the story on this?

The top gun is at the anti-aircraft museum of Finland in Hyryla of Tuusula

The bottom gun is at Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster , Germany

So very cool
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobile 8.8 cm FlaK 37

I for one would park one of those in my garage...

for the pending zombie invasion (>_>)!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

We captured it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

Are you kidding?  If it was in the US, they'd not only prosecute, they'd have tables full of the stuff on CNN.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

Damn right. That's the same screwed up [non]logic the antis here use. "something MIGHT happen".  Can't have subjects... uhh "citizens" being armed, ya know.

When the government doesn't trust it's own people with guns and wants to take them away, the government has gotten out of control and _knows_ it (otherwise it wouldn't be afraid of it's own people). Best for people to start doing something to get goverment in check _before_ an Adolf is put in charge.

Unfortunately, way too many people in the USA are completely blind to the warnings of history. They forget that our ancestors came here to get AWAY from europe and their screwed up crap.

So true!

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

Are you kidding?  If it was in the US, they'd not only prosecute, they'd have tables full of the stuff on CNN.

And the AA gun would be a telescope on a tripod.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

We captured it.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/DSCF0008.jpg

No shit, that may actually be the one Im thinking of
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

We captured it.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/DSCF0008.jpg

No shit, that may actually be the one Im thinking of

I'm sure it is.  Sherman, TX.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#48]
damage llc has a 4 inch naval gun for sale
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This begs the question:

I vote the ABL, but I'm biased.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Can you imagine how much shit was laying around after WW2? battlefield pick up galore and I would imagine people are sitting on MG's, rifles, etc that they picked up...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top