Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2013 6:23:47 AM EDT
Police confuse Buckeye logo with pot icon

COLUMBUS, Ohio, - A Texas woman said police in Tennessee detained her because they thought the Ohio State University Buckeye logo on her car was a "marijuana sticker."

Bonnie Jonas-Boggioni, 65, of Plano, Texas, told The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch she and her 66-year-old husband were driving near Memphis Feb. 4 when police in a black sport utility vehicle pulled them over, and then a second black SUV pulled behind the first.

Jonas-Boggioni said she hadn't been speeding so she wondered why police were pulling her over.

"They were very serious," she said. "They had the body armor and the guns."

One of the officers asked her, "What are you doing with a marijuana sticker on your bumper?"

Jonas-Boggioni, a longtime Buckeyes fan who grew up in Columbus -- and is president of the Ohio State Alumni Club in the Dallas-Fort Worth area -- told the officer what the decal actually represents but she said he didn't seem to get it.

"He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language," she said.

Jonas-Boggioni's husband, Guido, 66, got out of the car to show the police his sweatshirt -- an item from Ohio State's 2002 national-championship season, sporting a Buckeye leaf.

One of the officers said someone outside his jurisdiction had seen the logo on Jonas-Boggiono's car and thought it might mean the car was carrying pot, the Dispatch said.

"It's just amazing they would be that dumb," said.

A West Tennessee Drug Task Force spokeswoman said a decal is not sufficient cause to detain a motorist. The Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Shelby County sheriff's office in Memphis had no record of the stop.

Before they let her go on her way, the officers advised Jonas-Boggioni to remove the decal from her car.

“I said, ‘You mean in Tennessee?’ and he said, ‘No, permanently.’

“I didn’t take it off. . . . This little old lady is no drug dealer.”

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/02/16/Police-confuse-Buckeye-logo-with-pot-icon/UPI-44741361059725/
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
OHS NOS. NOT THE BODY ARMOR AND THE GUNS!!!!!

Fucking morons. EVERY cop has a second chance vest and carries a gun. God I am loosing all hope in humanity.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ummmm....   Wasn't this a thread yesterday about a member here?

ETA.  Didn't really pay attention to the first time this was posted.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I really hope there's more to this story.

If we REALLY are to the point where these pussies will initiate bad stops based on decals affixed to our vehicles... I don't even know what to say.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fucking morons. EVERY cop has a second chance vest and carries a gun. God I am loosing all hope in humanity.

Really?  You are siding with the police on this one?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If we REALLY are to the point where these pussies will initiate bad stops based on decals affixed to our vehicles... I don't even know what to say.

Try going through Canadian Customs with an NRA sticker on your car.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If the police’s actions disturb you less than the old lady’s
comments then I too have lost all hope in humanity…

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You must be talking about the cops that pulled them over....
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Stupid logo looks like a pot leaf to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why I don't put any stickers on my car.

Despite have no lawful PC to do a traffic stop for a decal, it does not stop harassment from happening.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Otherwise, the stop was legit, right?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A West Tennessee Drug Task Force spokeswoman said a decal is not sufficient cause to detain a motorist. The Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Shelby County sheriff's office in Memphis had no record of the stop.

Because it didn't happen.
Some "little old lady" came up with a way to get 15sec of fame and paint Tenn and LEOs as ignorant. Don't get me wrong, people in general are ignorant, Tenneseeans and LEOs no exception, but the story is ridiculous. People that have pot leaf stickers don't get pulled over for it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Maurice Clarett thought it was a pot leaf.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, sorry my post was vague. Coffe was ready

They pulled her over for a sticker. Which is Bull shit. And im sure they have no record of the stop because it was an illegal stop. You have to have Probable cause/reasonable suspision to stop a vehicle. A sticker gives neither.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some "little old lady" came up with a way to get 15sec of fame and paint Tenn and LEOs as ignorant. Don't get me wrong, people in general are ignorant, Tenneseeans and LEOs no exception, but the story is ridiculous. People that have pot leaf stickers don't get pulled over for it.

That last sentence is key.  Every Dead Head, Anarchy Now nut with pot stickers on his car would never make it through the state if the story were even half true.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, sorry my post was vague. Coffe was ready

They pulled her over for a sticker. Which is Bull shit. And im sure they have no record of the stop because it was an illegal stop. You have to have Probable cause/reasonable suspision to stop a vehicle. A sticker gives neither.

As long as your not a cop, we are good.  I would hate to have to read your reports.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#17]
That is what we call the Shelby County Welcoming Committee. While I do not agree with them detaining her over a sticker I understand them stopping her. I-40 and I-30 are infamous for drug running. Every time I go to Dallas for example I expect to be pulled over and get fucked with. I have every time I have been down there. It is the nature of the beast being out of state in major drug running corridor.  If you are going to get butt hurt because you get pulled over in a different state for ignorant crap I suggest you fly.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is what we call the Shelby County Welcoming Committee. While I do not agree with them detaining her over a sticker I understand them stopping her. I-40 and I-30 are infamous for drug running. Every time I go to Dallas for example I expect to be pulled over and get fucked with. I have every time I have been down there. It is the nature of the beast being out of state in major drug running corridor.  If you are going to get butt hurt because you get pulled over in a different state for ignorant crap I suggest you fly.

Or you know....you could demand the police work within the law..you know, like the US constitution.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try going through Canadian Customs with an NRA sticker on your car.

I used to live in SE Michigan, so I've BTDT.  Different situation Constituationally, however.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#21]
"What are you doing with a marijuana sticker on your bumper?"

NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS. ARE BUMPER STICKERS ILLEGAL NOW?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you know....you could demand the police work within the law..you know, like the US constitution.

I am not saying it is right. They pull you over for some dumb crap ie: not having turn signal on until you are completely in other lane after lane change ( it happened to me outside of Dallas.) They "smell" something so they call in the dog which happens to be not too far away. It is not right by any means and it is B.S. and a major hassle. They are profiling drivers. Who has the highest probability of be carrying drugs?  As I stated earlier if you are not ready to potentially be inconvenienced by the law I suggest flying. Then you get to deal with the real assholes with a badge.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#23]
That's how they roll in Memphis

We got pulled over for "changing lanes w/o using a turn signal"

BS!

We told the liar that we were attending school right over yonder just as our teacher instructed us to do. Yes it is true.

"OK, I'll let you off with just a warning this time"

We got rolling again and he blew by us going about 100.  Over the next hill he already had someone else pulled over.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Was a good stop. Everyone knows drug dealers run stickers for advertising.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they don't.. Just like I imagined getting pulled over for no other reason than driving a sporty import car across a bridge at 4am. Oh wait.. My 'license plate light was out.' Funny how it fixed itself by the time I got home.. LEO's expression was quite hilarious when he realized I was a 40 year old clean-cut man as I rolled down my tinted window.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they don't.. Just like I imagined getting pulled over for no other reason than driving a sporty import car across a bridge at 4am. Oh wait.. My 'license plate light was out.' Funny how it fixed itself by the time I got home.. LEO's expression was quite hilarious when he realized I was a 40 year old clean-cut man as I rolled down my tinted window.

Not saying they don't ever make some shit up, but I bet your stop is in the radio or computer log, and I bet it wasn't by two black suvs. I have no love for cops. I've beat them in court for an unlawful/made up stop before. I know it happens, also a sticker is not an alledged equipment violation its in no way a valid reason for a stop all by its lonesome. And as you said once they realize you aren't what they thought generally the hassling quickly ends. There is almost always a radio log (record) indicating the stop, an LEO is really stupid to approach a vehicle without checking it in the system and informing someone, then there's the dash cam or atleast audio recording, though the last two mysteriously disappear frequently.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top