Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2011 8:17:41 AM EDT
http://files.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/news/2011/06/stavelyresignation.pdf

Basically accuses the city council of creating a crisis for political gain and to seize control of the police department. He tells them that's the path to corruption and he's quitting instead of taking part in it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of towns like 'Public Safety Directors' so they can control the PD with ease.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
He's got some style.  I wouldn't mind him being our local Chief for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Basically accuses the city council of creating a crisis for political gain and to seize control of the police department. He tells them that's the path to corruption and he's quitting instead of taking part in it.

he is a hard core democrat. grandstanding as usual.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
So the council is trying to stave off a fiscal crisis (like everyone else in this country is or should be doing) and he got pissed?

C Ya.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Much like a divorce, we're only hearing his side.

When someone accuses someone else of "manufacturing a fiscal crisis" what often is really the case is "my cushy job perks and retirement are being threatened."
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When someone accuses someone else of "manufacturing a fiscal crisis" what often is really the case is "my cushy job perks and retirement are being threatened."

+1

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup.

And there are many governments/communities around that are facing a fiscal crisis. Probably easier to find those that aren't in crisis then the other way around.

I find it hard to believe that they are "manufacturing" it like he is making them out to be doing. Sounds like he's butt hurt and is taking his ball and going home.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the council is trying to stave off a fiscal crisis (like everyone else in this country is or should be doing) and he got pissed?

C Ya.

Is it a real fiscal crisis or the same "crisis" that units of government always seem to be in every year there's a contract negotiation pending? (BTDT x 6)

When we hear politicians talking about guns, we often repeat the phrase "Know how he's lying? His lips are moving", yet when it's a matter of money they're preaching the gospel straight from His inspiration, and we should all trust them.

Really?

Police chief = politician

Councilmen = politician

Cannot trust either. I will cast my lot with whomever is for reducing taxes and debt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

And there are many governments/communities around that are facing a fiscal crisis. Probably easier to find those that aren't in crisis then the other way around.

I find it hard to believe that they are "manufacturing" it like he is making them out to be doing. Sounds like he's butt hurt and is taking his ball and going home.

I think the manufacturing is plausible.

Take my employer for example.

We have a balanced budget for 2011.
Our pension fund has 9 billion dollars in the fund.
The fund made a 14% rate of return in 2010.

Yet some are screaming the there is a pension crises with that specific pension fund.

Is that real or manufactured?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the chief was decrying "seagull management" by the city council. We have plenty of that in my neck of the woods.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this guy "quitting" quitting or retiring?

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is this guy "quitting" quitting or retiring?

I dont think his three months on the job qualifies him for any sort of retirement from costa mesa.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C Ya.

Is it a real fiscal crisis or the same "crisis" that units of government always seem to be in every year there's a contract negotiation pending? (BTDT x 6)

When we hear politicians talking about guns, we often repeat the phrase "Know how he's lying? His lips are moving", yet when it's a matter of money they're preaching the gospel straight from His inspiration, and we should all trust them.

Really?

It's California. All their cities are in a fiscal crisis.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I think the manufacturing is plausible.

Take my employer for example.

We have a balanced budget for 2011.

Our pension fund has 9 billion dollars in the fund.

The fund made a 14% rate of return in 2010.
Yet some are screaming the there is a pension crises with that specific pension fund.
Is that real or manufactured?

I said I find it hard to believe.

The fact remains that most small communities are facing incredibly daunting fiscal choices in todays economy; LEO salaries and their benefits are going to be scrutinized like never before.

How much fiscal scrutiny that occurs for someone that is affected by that scrutiny to call it "manufactured", I don't know.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like one politician crying about some other politicians, and now he's taking his ball and going home.

I don't see anything in there other than a city council making financial and management decisions with which he disagrees. If he doesn't like what they're doing and wants to leave, that's cool. No need to be a drama queen.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Long-winded butt-hurt.

Meh.....One monkey don't stop no show.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
"Everyone hates cops and firefighters"

That's what these whines boil down to.  It's impossible that the City could be out of money... just raise taxes and give us what we want!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to every one else's dilema......the my way or the highway type may make a good police chief, but there is whole other world you must also live in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Either that guy is a terrible communicator, or he wrote that letter in a fit of blind rage. Probably a little of both. That was painful to read.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a chief I would like to work for (I don't know any further detail, just taking it at face value).
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#26]
The City Council wants to tell the Chief how to deploy his officers and what schedules they will work?  

Damn Council members should be recalled.  

I'm going to side with the Chief on this one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#27]
3/10. Needs more proof-reading, and about two or three more re-writes to condense it. He lost me after the first page.  I would have kicked it back and told him to "Do it over".
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A lot of towns like 'Public Safety Directors' so they can control the PD with ease.

Sometimes this is necessary as it is easy enough for a PD to forget their real function and who they work for. In my town you can thank the shitstain PBA rep for that.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do all the .govt spending cuts you want until you get to my dept and my job thinking.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't care about the politician's rant.  We are living in a time that public employees must learn their place.  Even if a public employee is critical to a community's well being - they are still takers and not makers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Albuquerque has one now.  Darren White, he used to be the Sherrif for Bernalillo.  One of the positive changes I have seen is that the police chief, whom never signed a Form 4 before, was now told that as part of his job he is to approve Form 4's.  So Darren White told him that he has to approve them if there isnt a valid reason to deny them like a criminal conviction.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Someone didn't get the money they requested.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes this is necessary as it is easy enough for a PD to forget their real function and who they work for. In my town you can thank the shitstain PBA rep for that.

This happened in our county seat. The chief resigned rather than face the investigation and termination that would result.
He didn't think he should be held accountable to the city council, so he didn't cooperate or report to them as requested.  Didn't work out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow...that appears to be about a 8th grade level of composition....or less.

And this guy was a police chief?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top