Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:16:29 PM EST
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/13/mans-arrest-for-barrel-monster-stunt-exposes-ridiculously-high-barrel-pricing/

Man’s arrest for Barrel Monster stunt exposes ridiculously high barrel pricing
by Doug Aamoth on June 13, 2009

Have you ever driven down the highway when there’s construction work going on and wondered who makes all the money from selling the orange barrels used to block off lanes? That’s a lot of barrels. So many barrels, in fact, that a student at NC State in Raleigh, North Carolina helped himself to three of them and constructed this most-excellent Barrel Monster.

The construction company he stole the barrels from wasn’t amused and 21-year-old Joseph Carnevale (even his name is fun!) was arrested.

According to The Smoking Gun, “Police estimated that Carnevale’s artwork caused $360 in damages to Hamlett Associates, the North Carolina construction company that owned the barrels.” So those barrels cost $120 each? I’m in the wrong business. Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:22:08 PM EST
Don't steal other people's stuff, no matter how badly the taxpayers were assraped in the process of the other people aquiring the stuff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:24:00 PM EST
Thats kinda funny
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:24:29 PM EST
cool art!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:58 PM EST
Remember the round, black pots that were filled with kerosine or something and lit to mark road construction at night?

My friend had one of those in his garage when I was a kid, always looked like the cartoon round black bombs with a fuse sticking out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:28:13 PM EST
Thats definatly more than 3 barrels.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:30:07 PM EST
Funny, but why arrest him. Make him pay to replace the barrels or put him to work for the construction company to work off his debt. If he refused to either agreement, then arrest him.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:30:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By Silas:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/13/mans-arrest-for-barrel-monster-stunt-exposes-ridiculously-high-barrel-pricing/

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b329/silas_/CBM.jpg

Man’s arrest for Barrel Monster stunt exposes ridiculously high barrel pricing
by Doug Aamoth on June 13, 2009

Have you ever driven down the highway when there’s construction work going on and wondered who makes all the money from selling the orange barrels used to block off lanes? That’s a lot of barrels. So many barrels, in fact, that a student at NC State in Raleigh, North Carolina helped himself to three of them and constructed this most-excellent Barrel Monster.

The construction company he stole the barrels from wasn’t amused and 21-year-old Joseph Carnevale (even his name is fun!) was arrested.

According to The Smoking Gun, “Police estimated that Carnevale’s artwork caused $360 in damages to Hamlett Associates, the North Carolina construction company that owned the barrels.” So those barrels cost $120 each? I’m in the wrong business. Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:30:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:

Only 2 were cutup
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:30:33 PM EST
Kid did a great job. Yeah he should pay the damages. Yes they cost more then one thinks but they are not THAT pricy.

The REAL scam is the state and safety cone/BBL/equipment contracts. Ever wonder how many extra millions are being wasted for nonexistant roadwork and workers while thousands of safety barrels line roads? All that stuff is usually rented by the state, the longer the work drags on, the more $$$$ goes to the companies needlessly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:30:42 PM EST
Now that looks like a better representation of how I would like my money spent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:31:04 PM EST
Replace all the barrels with barrel monsters
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:31:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
cool art!

I agree.

I'm sure he could have used his talented mind to come up with another, more legal way (and thus one that was less damaging to the business) of getting three barrels for his project, though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:34:40 PM EST
Imagine a drunk driver seeing that..............
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:35:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Only 2 were cutup

Looks like three to me. You can see two bases in the torso, plus the mouth on the head is cut out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:36:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By CanteTinza:

Only 2 were cutup

Looks like three to me. You can see two bases in the torso, plus the mouth on the head is cut out.

Yup 3 were cut!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:37:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Kid did a great job. Yeah he should pay the damages. Yes they cost more then one thinks but they are not THAT pricy.

The REAL scam is the state and safety cone/BBL/equipment contracts. Ever wonder how many extra millions are being wasted for nonexistant roadwork and workers while thousands of safety barrels line roads? All that stuff is usually rented by the state, the longer the work drags on, the more $$$$ goes to the companies needlessly.

The state probably makes up for it by all the $$$$$ construction zone (2x the fine & points) speeding tickets they collect.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:37:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By CanteTinza:

Only 2 were cutup

I think that's just painted on.

Either way, that top barrel should be the new standard. Beats the ever loving shit out of the plain jane ones.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:38:30 PM EST

Sure its wrong, but it made me laugh....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:38:50 PM EST
If he had bought his own barrels then he would have known how much they cost. Pay up sucker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:39:58 PM EST
That monster-sculpture could have been sold to some art collector for $1000 or more. Dumbasses should have thanked him for increasing the worth of the barrels instead of arresting him.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:45:52 PM EST
Damn , I wonder how cheaply one could buy a few of those that are beat up. I'd like to build me a monster for the front yard.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:46:24 PM EST
SO if the guy gets arrested for stealing the barrels we need to arrest the company CEO for stealing from the taxpayers and the .gov employees who made the deal.
Fair is fair.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:48:12 PM EST
Lol, that's hilarious.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:48:17 PM EST

That is full of win.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:48:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:51:11 PM EST

YOU ! ARE STUCK IN TRAFFIC!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:54:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 1:58:02 PM EST by HommieDaKlown]
so isnt that a felony?

goodjob losing right to vote and own firearms

too bad too cuz the sculpture is hilarious
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:01 PM EST
What taxpayer funds were used? The barrels were owned by a private construction company.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:01:56 PM EST
Wow, I know it's wrong, but it's still funny.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:10:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By HommieDaKlown:
so isnt that a felony?

Depends on the dollar amount vandalized, probably. Most states bump it up from a misdemeanor to a felony at a certain dollar value.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:11:15 PM EST

What's the best round for a "Barrel Monster?"

Would make a great target holder.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:14:27 PM EST

Only 2 were cutup

I would laugh if it came out later that he purchased two of them, and cut those up. Then other than moving them he would have done nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:19:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:

lol...I lived in Alb NM when they had the first "special shapes" rodeo. I rode bikes with a bunch of APD cops and they told stories of drunks, going down I-25, then pulling over cause they had "way too much to drink".

Offisure there were elephants and whisky bottlers in the sky"

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:22:33 PM EST
Tell him not to do it again, slap him with a misdemenor(maybe), auction off the monster....Profit!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:24:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Shady680:
Replace all the barrels with barrel monsters

+1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:24:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Originally Posted By HommieDaKlown:
so isnt that a felony?

Depends on the dollar amount vandalized, probably. Most states bump it up from a misdemeanor to a felony at a certain dollar value.

i think the amount is $300 in Fl at least.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:28:54 PM EST
That should be some sort of arfcom mascot!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:31:50 PM EST
I think it achieves the purpose of the barrels much more effectively .
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:35:12 PM EST
It would almost be worth buying a few barrels a year-just to randomly place barrel monsters in construction zones. I'd bet that was more effective in slowing traffic than threats of double fines.

GT
*did some construction work during high school where we had to work along a restricted roadway. A little unnerving when 3 or 4 times a shift, some jackass takes out a line of cones at 70mph. We even had one lady drive into the side of a fucking front loader. The guy operating it was a former Marine DI-he was very nice to her until she said that she didn't see us (I was catching a lift). The immediate result was a very large, very pissed off man tearing the lady driver a brand new asshole-without ever swearing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:43:55 PM EST
Sometimes criminals are endearing.

I want to see more barrel monsters.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:14 PM EST
The state does not own the barrels. Private contractors doing the roadwork owns them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:55:47 PM EST
Thats almost as good as the "Zombies Ahead" sign hack.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:56:59 PM EST
Not Directed at anyone.. But this was my first thought
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:02:41 PM EST
I like it. A smart company would hire the kid to make the things more effective.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:15:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:

+1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:16:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By qualityhardware:
I like it. A smart company would hire the kid to make the things more effective.

You think traffic is backed up now when there's road construction? You let this kid build these on every job and every will be going 2mph to get a look at every construction site!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:22:22 PM EST
Let him go.

That's a fucking awesome sculpture.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:24:13 PM EST
Cool.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:31:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By Po-Po-5-0:
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:

+1

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:42:45 PM EST
My girlfriend showed me this on the news yesterday. She said where it is located is a bad area to drive because of the road construction going on, and supposedly the guy wanted to help slow people down. I'd have wrecked my truck if I would have seen it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top