Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2006 9:31:03 PM EDT
STAY OFF THE GRASS!

HH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police: Man Killed Teen Neighbor for Walking on Lawn

Monday, March 20, 2006

BATAVIA, Ohio — A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid," but she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:33:50 PM EDT
Absolutely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 9:36:33 PM EDT by Bag_Man]
In court, I would ask him one question.....was shooting a kid for walking on your lawn worth gettin butt raped for the next 40 years?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:36:40 PM EDT
Warm up Sparky!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:38:55 PM EDT
Alzheimer's can be a good thing. This case requires the "Uncle Junior" defense. Soprano's fans on the jury would be a help also. Just because the shooter subsequently had a "moment" of clarity doesn't mean he is fully culpable.

Flying the Navy flag... He's half way to acquitted right there for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:40:04 PM EDT
Is the lawn OK?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:57:22 PM EDT

I need to get copies of that article and post it around my yard for the neighborhood kids to read.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:59:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I need to get copies of that article and post it around my yard for the neighborhood kids to read.

Just as long as my dogs can still take a shit there, we'll be ok, right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:02:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kikomax:

FREE fertilizer?

You betcha!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:11:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:
STAY OFF THE GRASS!

HH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police: Man Killed Teen Neighbor for Walking on Lawn

Monday, March 20, 2006

BATAVIA, Ohio — A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid," but she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Why is every kid "a good kid"? How come nobodies kid who gets shot is a "bad kid"? I'm sure 87% of the kids who get shot are bad kids.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:12:10 PM EDT
BAck when I was in high school, some retailer shot a teen for trying to steal a big helium balloon he had on his lot.

What a thing to kill over: a balloon that cost at most $1.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:15:14 PM EDT

Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them they never walked across Charles Martin's lawn.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 10:24:08 PM EDT by barkley-addict]
Why is every kid "a good kid"? How come nobodies kid who gets shot is a "bad kid"?

maybe he was, from the story does it seem as if he had done anything that warranted being shot for? How many of us have walked on someone else's lawn? I'm guilty as charged, x a million as a kid.

and there will be no crabgrass.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:36:29 PM EDT
Reason #1337 idiots give gun owners a bad name.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 10:54:50 PM EDT by yekimak]

Originally Posted By raven:
BAck when I was in high school, some retailer shot a teen for trying to steal a big helium balloon he had on his lot.

Lo-Mark furniture. Clyde Thompson went to my High school. We got a day off because of it. Fucker that shot him in the back got away too. Not guilty on 2nd degree murder, guilty of manslaughter Even missed a few times and bullets went into an apartment building, just missing a few people.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:25:49 AM EDT
What lawn?
Its march and it was in Ohio... winter and guy had lawn?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:32:33 AM EDT
How many Arfcommers have advocated this very thing?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:44:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:52:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:

Negative! The 'shovel and shutup' parts were notably absent...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:54:26 AM EDT

I take offense to that.

I only advocate less than lethal loads for kids.

But seriously, we need to wait for all the facts to come out before we make judgement. Too many times the media will only give enough info to make the shooter look bad. Am I wrong?

jj
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:15:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jjrockbush:

I take offense to that.

I only advocate less than lethal loads for kids.

But seriously, we need to wait for all the facts to come out before we make judgement. Too many times the media will only give enough info to make the shooter look bad. Am I wrong?

jj

I'm going to rush to judgement on this one, old man needs to fry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:16:49 AM EDT
Not that I approve of him killing the kid, but this needs to be a wakeup call to little shits who harrass the wierd old guy in their neighborhood.

It's all fun and games fucking with the old man till you take two shells to the chest.

Everyone has their snapping point... live your life with respect for other people and you have a lot better chance of not dying young.

JMHO

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:20:11 AM EDT
This reads like how not to make a 911 call after a shooting you have been involved in.

As the facts are presented by the media not a good shoot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:22:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AROptics:
Alzheimer's can be a good thing. This case requires the "Uncle Junior" defense. Soprano's fans on the jury would be a help also. Just because the shooter subsequently had a "moment" of clarity doesn't mean he is fully culpable.

You are kidding, right???
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:23:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clement:
Why is every kid "a good kid"? How come nobodies kid who gets shot is a "bad kid"? I'm sure 87% of the kids who get shot are bad kids.

I am sure the vast majority of kids who are shot are indeed bad kids.

But since this kid was gunned down for walking on a lawn, I don't think there is cause to label him a "bad" kid.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:29:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Alex_F:
Not that I approve of him killing the kid, but this needs to be a wakeup call to little shits who harrass the wierd old guy in their neighborhood.

It's all fun and games fucking with the old man till you take two shells to the chest.

Everyone has their snapping point... live your life with respect for other people and you have a lot better chance of not dying young.

JMHO

I believe you are hitting on an important point here.

In my grandfather's day, if you were on a neighbor's lawn and the neighbor did not want you there, your parents would first warn you sternly, and then whoop your tail if the neighbor caught you on his lawn again. If that still didn't teach you, they would force you to be the man's slave for a weekend helping care for his lawn.

If you still didn't get the point, they would enslave you for longer periods of time, take away anything you liked, and generally make your life extremely unpleasant until you got the message.

In that day, kids had respect for adults. You spoke to an adult with respectful terms, and when they told you to stop something, you listened. Because your parents would wear you out double if they found out you were disrespectful. You didn't mess with people. You didn't mess with their property. If you did, your parents would come down on you like the fist of an angry God.

We don't see that happening today.

It is high time we dusted that concept off and re-introduced it to modern society.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:31:01 AM EDT

I have never advocated killing a kid who is walking on your lawn, or who is generally being annoying or stupid.

I have advocated beatings, endentured servitude, and humiliation to teach the kid not to be such a jackass.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:58:51 AM EDT
Kid should have gotten a spanking/mass chores as punishment.

Not a fucking shotgun shell,
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:04:57 AM EDT

He always had the perfect yard and he worked in it a lot."

Sean Fritts, 16, who also lived nearby, agreed that Martin's lawn was his pride and joy.
"He was real protective over his yard and mowed it a lot, and sometimes even measured the grass with a yardstick," Fritts said.

WTF??? That's Section 8 material right there. Time for the insanity defense.....

Still, Fritts said he wasn't aware of any disputes involving Martin.

"I never had any problems with him, and I don't know that anyone else did," he said.

= "He was a quiet man...." Therefore, it must have been the gun's fault. Let's pass a new assault weapons ban because of this, so that no innocent children will ever die again.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:12:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

JMHO

In my grandfather's day, if you were on a neighbor's lawn and the neighbor did not want you there, your parents would first warn you sternly, and then whoop your tail if the neighbor caught you on his lawn again. If that still didn't teach you, they would force you to be the man's slave for a weekend helping care for his lawn.

If you still didn't get the point, they would enslave you for longer periods of time, take away anything you liked, and generally make your life extremely unpleasant until you got the message.

In that day, kids had respect for adults. You spoke to an adult with respectful terms, and when they told you to stop something, you listened. Because your parents would wear you out double if they found out you were disrespectful. You didn't mess with people. You didn't mess with their property. If you did, your parents would come down on you like the fist of an angry God.

It is high time we dusted that concept off and re-introduced it to modern society.

+1 to both. I live in a townhouse community and find it unbelievable how so many people think that they have the 'right' to use or (mis)treat another's property as their own.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kikomax:

FREE fertilizer?

You betcha!

Until someone tracks it into your house.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:11:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AROptics:

You are kidding, right???

Everyone is entitled to a good defense. Especially veterans. Especially those who have been harassed and repeatedly asked for their property rights to be respected.

I saw the guy's photo. I think he may genuinely have early dementia.

Many teenagers are out of control because society doesn't allow adults (even teachers) to put the smackdown on them. Let this be a lesson to all of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:16:20 AM EDT
I bet that kid wished it had been Deb Lafaves lawn he walked on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:16:53 AM EDT
Lesson of the day....RESPECT PEOPLES PROPERTY!

Was shooting the kid stupid? Sure...

But if the kid wasn't walking across the old guys lawn, there would have been no problem....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:19:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pzjgr:

But if the kid wasn't walking across the old guys lawn, there would have been no problem....

So shooting the mailman is ok also ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:26:25 AM EDT
66 y.o.? The old fart needs a beating something fierce.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:27:18 AM EDT

<Snip> If that still didn't teach you, they would force you to be the man's slave

Oh HELL YEAH!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:30:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GcS:

JMHO

+1 to both. I live in a townhouse community and find it unbelievable how so many people think that they have the 'right' to use or (mis)treat another's property as their own.

First thing I thought when I heard it was that the kid was ABSOLUTLY involved in tormenting that man. I'll be willing to lay money that walking on his lawn was but the last straw.

As was said, it wasn't right that he was shot, and I'd unhappily vote to send the man to prison or death... but that boy almost certainly reeped just what he had sewn. That is what happens when you push people to thier edge for fun. Someday the fun comes to a sudden end.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:32:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

If you think walking on his lawn was all that went on your are as dense as a rock. Dollars to dougnuts this was an ongoing little fued and the parents were involved in all as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT

How many times as a kid did you run into your nebors lawn to get a ball of frizbee? Did you deserve to get shot!?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 10:44:29 AM EDT by AROptics]
Per the police, the old guy had "no criminal record".
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:44:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

If you think walking on his lawn was all that went on your are as dense as a rock. Dollars to dougnuts this was an ongoing little fued and the parents were involved in all as well.

The point is walking across the lawn is what caused pops to lose it. Ive had fueds with the little hood rats running around here. I guess im not dense as a rock as i havent shot any of them yet over minor childish bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:09 AM EDT

The point is walking across the lawn is what caused pops to lose it. Ive had fueds with the little hood rats running around here. I guess im not dense as a rock as i havent shot any of them yet over minor childish bullshit.

You are dense because you equate the mailman walking across the yard to being harrased by a teen and his parents as though the only issue was that a kids foot touched his lawn.

I also never said it was right, just that it is what can happen to you if you keep pushing people's buttons. I doubt the mailman was ever in any danger.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:37 AM EDT
i was at the kid's HS as a crisis grief counselor yesterday morning and would have likely been again today but for the snow day

kids were all in shock

sad
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:54:09 AM EDT

You are dense because you equate the mailman walking across the yard to being harrased by a teen and his parents as though the only issue was that a kids foot touched his lawn.

I also never said it was right, just that it is what can happen to you if you keep pushing people's buttons. I doubt the mailman was ever in any danger.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:54:53 AM EDT

he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn

There's more to this story than the Anti-Gun Media wants to tell us.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

So what value or sales price or whatever is high enough to warrant a shooting?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:56:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:59:15 AM EDT

No, if you read carefully, I said shooting the kid was stupid.

1. A mailman is supposed to be there, if you don't like the mailman walking on your lawn, put your mailbox at the curb.

2. A mailman should stay on the walkways...my mailman constantly pisses me off, he walks up the walk to the steps, but cuts across the lawn to go to the next house. No prob in the summer, but he tears the shit out of the lawn in the spring when it wet and shit.

Sorry some fuck wrecking my lawn to save 10 steps does piss me off...not that I would shoot him for it...

BUT the ultimate point is,,,if the kid wouldn't have walked on the lawn, he wouldn't have been shot...

and it sounds like the kid had been told repeatedly to stay the fuck off.....

Not saying its right, but as Sam Kinison used to say, "I don't condone it, but I sure know what makes Mr. hand turn into Mr. fist...)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:59:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gunham:

he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn

There's more to this story than the Anti-Gun Media wants to tell us.

not that i am aware of--not a lot of details yet, even locally
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:59:39 AM EDT
One this is for sure. In the occupied state of MD, this guy would be charged with murder, unless he can prove his life was at risk. That little SOB walking in the guys yard, however irritating and childish it might have been didn't justify shooting. It was just the last straw for the homeowner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top