Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:55:07 PM EDT

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/home_29751___article.html/police_ratchford.html

Officials continue to look for connections between home invasions
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
January 26, 2009 - 6:49 PM
Michael Barrett
Law enforcement agencies are investigating the possibility that several recent home invasions in the area might be related.

But clear connections between the incidents have not been substantiated, officials say.

"We're doing what we can to see if we can piece them together," said Cramerton Police Chief Greg Ratchford. "A lot of the MOs are somewhat similar, but the descriptions (of the suspects) are not."

A home invasion Friday night in a quiet suburb in McAdenville was the latest in what authorities say has become a disturbing trend.

It happened just before 9 p.m. on the 200 block of Mockingbird Lane. Police say a woman knocked on the door and asked to use the family's telephone. After a woman answered the door and handed over the phone, a man in the driveway forced his way inside with a gun.

A second man then entered and made the husband, wife and their two children lie on the floor while he bound them with cords, police say. The three suspects left after stealing $10,000 worth of property, including a television, jewelry and food.

All three suspects were black, though police have not released further details. Ratchford said his department is following up on numerous anonymous tips, and possible descriptions of the suspects and their vehicle.

It was the third home invasion reported in Gaston County since Jan. 1. In addition to conferring with Gaston County Police, Ratchford has been in touch with Charlotte-Mecklenburg investigators about recent home invasions there.

"It does seem to be occurring more often," Ratchford said.

Earlier Friday, police said a man tried to kick down the door of a house outside Stanley at lunchtime, as the female homeowner listened from inside. After breaking the door from the frame and setting off the alarm, he reportedly fled.

The man was described as black, in his early 20s with a stocky build.

On Jan. 1, a woman knocked on the door of a home outside Dallas and asked to use the phone. An armed man then emerged and burst into the house.

The man and the woman intimidated two adults and two children inside, covering two of them with blankets, before stealing a big-screen TV, cash and other items.

The suspects in that robbery are a black man about 6 feet tall with high cheekbones, and a woman about 5 feet, 5 inches tall with a ponytail.

The home invasion outside Dallas seemed to resemble the one in McAdenville more closely, because there were multiple suspects who used a similar tactic for approaching the house.

But the incident outside Dallas, as well as the one near Stanley on Friday afternoon, were both in rural areas. The McAdenville home invasion was not.

"There's no doubt is was a brazen crime," said Ratchford, whose department serves McAdenville under a contract between the two towns. "It's in an area where the police presence is pretty heavy most of the time, with the proximity to Wilkinson Boulevard."

Ratchford said other residents in the area should be aware of their potential to become the next victim, without being too paranoid.

"I wouldn't want people to be overly scared of everything that goes on, but definitely question things," he said. "I think the important thing is to be aware of your surroundings and use common sense security measures."

Lock things up, Ratchford said. And don't open your door to a stranger unless you're absolutely sure you can trust them.

"Personally, I don't let anybody in my house unless they can prove who they are," he said. "Call police if you're unsure and let us check the situation out."

With so many homeowners also owning firearms, Ratchford said he is surprised anyone would be bold enough to barge in to a house, without knowing what may be pointing at them when they enter.

"To me, if I was in that position, I'd be scared it wouldn't be worth the risk," he said. "That person might be armed when you walk in."

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a trend in the story.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Isolated incidents
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is it a certain color?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.gastongazette.com/news/home_29751___article.html/police_ratchford.html

"To me, if I was in that position, I'd be scared it wouldn't be worth the risk," he said. "That person might be armed when you walk in."

It will not be worth anyone's risk to barge in on me.  

It will way, WAY not be worth their risk.

Trust me.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah that is pretty easy to spot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Come on, now.

We know they baby did'n hurt no body.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm easy and don't pay attention. I think I deserve to be invaded, and oh yea I don't lock my doors ever.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Come on in , I'm loaded.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sad to say but most folks don't have access to a loaded gun while they're in their homes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top