Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:20:48 AM EDT
ABC News link

New mint packets being sold by The Hershey Co. look nearly identical to the tiny heat-sealed bags used to sell illegal powdered drugs like crack, heroin and cocaine and glorify the drug trade, a Philadelphia police official said.

Ice Breakers Pacs, nickel-sized dissolvable pouches with a powdered sweetener inside, hit store shelves in November. The packets, which come in blue and orange plastic slide-up cases, are similar enough to drug packets that a child familiar with the candy could mistakenly swallow a heat-sealed bag of drugs, Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector William Blackburn told the Philadelphia Daily News for an article published Friday.

A spokesman for the company, based in Hershey, Pa., pointed out that each pouch made by two dissolvable mint strips bears the Ice Breakers logo.

"It is not intended to simulate anything," said spokesman Kirk Saville.

Saville would not directly respond to questions about whether Hershey has plans to change the product's appearance or whether anyone in law enforcement or inside the company has previously raised a concern about it.

It may look like drugs, but read the whole article...you don't open them, you pop them in your mouth.

Whaddya think?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
That's going to burn going up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
oh give me a break!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#3]
"It glorifies the drug trade," he said. "There's really no reason that a product like this should be on the shelf."

Yes, when I saw those I immediately drew the connection...

What a fucktard...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]
and id bet they would freak at my zip lock baggie of oregano i keep in my cooking shelf.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, now I'll never buy those things. Next thing you know I'll be getting tasered and having my car confiscated by the state for possession of breath fresheners.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
its filitydelphia what do you expect?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#8]

glorify the drug trade

Jesus Christ.  Time to disband the Philly PD.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
and id bet they would freak at my zip lock baggie of oregano i keep in my cooking shelf.

No knock warrant coming your way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats just weird.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I was about to put a smart-ass remark about only Philly residents would do drugs that look like a rabbit had diarrea, but then I realized they werent talking about Hershey Kisses.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No knock warrant coming your way.

OH teh NOEZ!! I have the basil and thyme too! Man im really screwed!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, now I'll never buy those things. Next thing you know I'll be getting tasered and having my car confiscated by the state for possession of breath fresheners.

Or BC Powder

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#14]

What about those?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#15]
It is getting to the point where everything new that will be invented, will automatically be banned.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.nashvillenut.com/images/candy_pixy_sticks.gif

What about those?

That is how we make pea shooters!  Allows the kids to get a sugar high and practice marksmanship at the same time!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It is getting to the point where everything new that will be invented, will automatically be banned.

And the old school stuff like Goody's powder. Cops might mistake it for coke.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Exactly what the Philly PD needs to be doing with his time.  Fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#19]

I don't really give a crap, but they do have a point.  I bet it's no mistake they look like little bags of cocaine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think those are gonna get pulled from store shelves in a hurry.  Someone in design and a few in marketing will have their resumes on monster in the next few weeks.

Yup, I cant for the life of me see how something like that would get past marketing/development.

But but but but... it has the Icebreakers logo on the wrap!!!

Whatta bunch of fucksticks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#23]
maybe i live a sheltered life, but "drug packet" would be pretty far down on my list of associations with that product.
must be a truly sad commentary on the state of society.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#25]
When did crack become a "powdered drug"?

A little bit of sheeple fluffing goin on there?

Cocaine doesn't sound dangerous enough, it gotta be CRACK OMGWTFBBQ!!1ONE!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I think some libtard "authorities" and parents have some sand in their vagina. What a crock of shit!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#28]
And the "kisses" look like LEROY JENKUM!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep, looks like a small package of Coke right down to the color of the bindle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Why not ask the company to redesign the package in way that is not breathlessly inferring they are lovers of drugs? (Asswipe Phily PD)  Might be in your companies best interest not to keep packaging it in a way that ends up with consumers of it wearing cuffs on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Aside from the logos and text on a bag of C&H powdered sugar, the damn thing could pass for a 1/2 Kilo of coke.

Better yank that shit too.  Tic-Tacs should also be yanked since they look like pills...

Don't even get me started on envelopes and stamps.  They exist to glorify LSD use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When did crack become a "powdered drug"?

A little bit of sheeple fluffing goin on there?

Cocaine doesn't sound dangerous enough, it gotta be CRACK OMGWTFBBQ!!1ONE!!

Crack was powdered before it got rerocked.

Crack was cocaine before it got rerocked.

When you make crack you drop powdered cocaine into water and boil and if forms into a rock.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I brought a ziploc bag of oregano to class one day as a visual aid for a presentation I was giving. I had three guys offer to buy it off me before I even got to the class.

Shoulda sold it and told the prof that I forgot my visual aid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I, for one, like my dopers smelling minty fresh.

ETA: Those are spot-on for dope bindles.  I don't know about all the "gloify" or other crap... but finding those in a pocket would raise my eyebrow.

+1  whomevers pocket i find those in (provided they're not in a box) would be in invetigative detention until i tested em.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#35]
So, who's getting pre-ban breath mints?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Those are spot-on for dope bindles.  I don't know about all the "gloify" or other crap... but finding those in a pocket would raise my eyebrow.

+1  whomevers pocket i find those in (provided they're not in a box) would be in invetigative detention until i tested em.

Even though now you're aware such a product exists, wrapped in a blue packet?

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, because prior to this product being released i was aware that dope is dealt in such packaging.  Therefore since i cannot be sure what it is, wouldn't the prudent thing be to test it, and determine the owners guilt or innocence?

Or is that too logical for the anti-cop crowd?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I figured snorting narcotics into one's nose might be a bad idea, but I betcha snorting that mint shit up your sniffer would send you reeling.

- BG

EDIT:    What an awesome prank for druggies.  "Bro, you want a bump?"  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, because prior to this product being released i was aware that dope is dealt in such packaging.  Therefore since i cannot be sure what it is, wouldn't the prudent thing be to test it, and determine the owners guilt or innocence?

I dunno mate, makes sense, but again now that you know such a product exists, I suppose you might make that judgment based on other indicators, and not just possession of the little blue packet that looks exactly like the mints on the internet, as well as well packaged cocaine or heroin.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno mate, makes sense, but again now that you know such a product exists, I suppose you might make that judgment based on other indicators, and not just possession of the little blue packet that looks exactly like the mints on the internet, as well as well packaged cocaine or heroin.

Oh, of course everything is based on the totality of the situation, not just having a little blue packet in your pocket.  however, as the FBI says "this might be a clu... cl...  CLUE!"
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Where's the big stink over candy cigarettes?

Pixie Sticks?

Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#42]
They way they designed that product it is pretty clear they were going for the drug look.  White powder wrapped in a sealed baggy?  Come on now.  That was just a stupid idea and Hershey deserves whatever repercussions come about of it.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I brought a ziploc bag of oregano to class one day as a visual aid for a presentation I was giving. I had three guys offer to buy it off me before I even got to the class.

Shoulda sold it and told the prof that I forgot my visual aid.

that would be a crime.  Read up on the analogue act.  It doesn't matter if its real drugs or not, if you sell it under the pretense of it being real drugs, you're still breaking the law.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Don't even get me started on envelopes and stamps.  They exist to glorify LSD use.

I always wondered why hits of acid looked like....hits of acid.  Seems to me a good tradeoff to make the hits NOT look like hits, and take the PR/marketing impact of not having pretty little psychedelic designs.

Not that a hit of acid is that hard to conceal, but it is weird.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice invention. I had been storing all of my drugs in sugar packets, but these look much more convenient for everyday use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#46]
i bet the bags coke or meth come in dont dissolve when they contact moisture.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
that would be a crime.  Read up on the analogue act.  It doesn't matter if its real drugs or not, if you sell it under the pretense of it being real drugs, you're still breaking the law.

So if I sell my son's toy Uzi will I be prosecuted under NFA?

What if I sell an AR15 but put a sticker on it that says "Full Auto, motherfucker"?  Would the ATF charge me as though it were actually a machinegun?  Oh wait, don't answer that - bad example.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

don't give them ideas, Steve.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always wondered why hits of acid looked like....hits of acid.  Seems to me a good tradeoff to make the hits NOT look like hits, and take the PR/marketing hit of not having pretty little psychedelic designs.

Not that a hit of acid is that hard to conceal, but it is weird.

The tabs or the trips?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I sell my son's toy Uzi will I be prosecuted under NFA?

What if I sell an AR15 but put a sticker on it that says "Full Auto, motherfucker"?  Would the ATF charge me as though it were actually a machinegun?  Oh wait, don't answer that - bad example.

a toy uzi or an ar15 arnt drugs, or being sold under the pretense of being drugs. This law is specific to drugs and "like substances." An energy drink was pulled from the shelfs becasue it was called "Cocaine." Its not right, but its the law

Edited to add: The energy drink wasnt pulled just for being called "Cocaine" but because someone (courts? FDA? i dont remember) decided that language on the can amounted to marketing the energy drink as a "legal alternative to a controlled substance"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top