Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:10:25 AM EDT
I was watching Fox, and the reporter said he heared a pistol shot, then a bunch of cops with AR's ran in that direction, then some squad cars, then a Pickup, and as the reporter looked at it he said there appeared to be a MOUNTED automatic weapon, I looked closely, and sure enough there was what appeared to be a pedestal mount in the back, I couldn't quite make out what it was because it was on a video phone, but it kindof looked like a 1919....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:15:24 AM EDT
It's probably an M60. Most large PD's have a few of them in inventory, even some small ones have them. The university PD had 1 when I was in college. I imagine all those jokes they used to toss around about never having a use for the thing aren't so funny anymore.

Earlier they showed a shot of what looked like a SWAT APC driving thru the streets with a slew of armed officers on top.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:01:49 AM EDT
Many of your major metro Departments have some kind of belt-fed kicking around in the Armory, somehwere. It wasn't uncommon in the "good old days of unmilitarized police" for PDs to routinely deploy their belt-fed machine guns on standoffs and barricades, well in the days before SWAT Teams were formed. I also imagine that NOPD got a few somewhere after the 1974 sniper incident they had.

Frankly, if my agency needed a belt-fed, we'd probably borrrow them from local dealers (I can think of a few M1919A4s and MG34s off the top of my head). That could well be what happened here, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:11:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By natez:
Many of your major metro Departments have some kind of belt-fed kicking around in the Armory, somehwere. It wasn't uncommon in the "good old days of unmilitarized police" for PDs to routinely deploy their belt-fed machine guns on standoffs and barricades, well in the days before SWAT Teams were formed. I also imagine that NOPD got a few somewhere after the 1974 sniper incident they had.

Frankly, if my agency needed a belt-fed, we'd probably borrrow them from local dealers (I can think of a few M1919A4s and MG34s off the top of my head). That could well be what happened here, too.

When I was down at the Gulf Coast on a buisness trip, I visited a Mississippi gun store. They had several MG-34s in stock, as well as other full autos.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:21:53 AM EDT
Unfortunately they probably aren't allowed to use that thing like its meant to be used.
Top Top