Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/23/2002 2:48:58 PM EDT
Anyone into scanners? I am wondering because I am looking into getting one. I have seen a few posts about scanner activity but wondered if anyone has any good resources for a newbie to them. Can you tell me of some good models? Some models to stay away from? I was looking at the Bearcat 780xlt. Seems like a fine scanner. I was wondering for the money if there are better ones? Does this have more features than I will need and should I get a cheaper model? Any help would be very appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:36:14 PM EDT
The BC780xlt is an outstanding scanner, and it has almost every feature a serious hobbyist could ask for. Don't buy it. Uniden is coming out with the BC785d in August and BC250d. They will do everything that the 780 does and will support digital trunked systems based on the APCO25 standard. Many, many agencies (and groups of agencies) are switching to digital systems, and the BC785d and BC250d will likely be the only scanners capable of demodulating these systems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:22:43 PM EDT
Thanks so much for the info!!! How much do you think these will run when they come out? I have been wanting to get one for awhile and just got the $$$ to do so. Maybe I should just get another Aimpoint instead. Do you have any online resources? Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:42:04 PM EDT
[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UnidenBC785D/[/url] [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UnidenBC250D/[/url] These are a couple of email lists on those two scanners. When there's more info, they'll have it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:24:52 PM EDT
Defcon, If you can afford it, you could get an older model scanner such as a Uniden BC200XLT. These are great scanners! I mostly used mine to listen to the drivers at NASCAR stock car races. Alot of the older models have the ablity to scan the cell phone frequencys as well! Not that we would do that, it being unlawful. Vulcan94
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2002 7:48:17 PM EDT by Defcon]
Thanks Vulcan. I saw one of those on ebay. I am basically just gonna use it for the house when I am surfing the web or when the police go by with lights and sirens on. I had an old scanner when I was a kid. Has a bunch of crystals for it and all. I really enjoyed it when I was young. Sitting in bed listening was a blast. Maybe a less expensive unit (as you suggest) for now and when the new digital ones come out I will get one of those as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:31:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Defcon: Do you have any online resources?
View Quote
Try this place: [url]http://www.usascan.com/[/url] Although I haven't really priced scanners lately, they used to be the cheapest. I've ordered from the before and was very pleased. You might try here also: [url]http://www.scannerworld.com/[/url] I think their prices are a little higher though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:40:35 PM EDT
If your local police/fire/rescue system isn't operating on a digital trunked system now, they probably will be before too many years pass. As a result, I would not bother with anything less than a digital trunking capable scanner like the aforementioned new Uniden models. But be warned: Programming scanners with the necessary trunking data so you can hear what you want to can be a long, drawn-out process. Forget about programming the scanner in half an hour, it just won't happen. There's too much information to make programming a short affair, but then again, once it's done, you can be as selective about what you hear as you want to. You don't have to listen to fire traffic when you want to listen to police traffic only, and you can be selective about the specific department you listen to, and which of their talkgroups to monitor as well. If your local agencies are using digital capable trunked systems, you have no choice but to get one of these new digital scanners. Good source for trunked data: www.trunkedradio.net CJ
Top Top