Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2002 9:43:25 AM EDT
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,55010,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but what color is the dog?  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me guess, Wanda Jones Dixon is black.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The death penalty seems a little harsh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Retirement would work for me...   Dogs rule!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Dolpho, a 5-year-old German shepherd, can sniff out the difference between marijuana, heroin and cocaine.
View Quote

Did anybody check to see if the little hellion had drugs on him?
As I recall, drug dogs are trained to attack and bite the target scent.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]
The only proper thing to do is to host a caged grudge match between Councilwoman Dixon and the Dog. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let me guess, Wanda Jones Dixon is black.
View Quote

I would bet my left nut.

Idiots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#10]
But German Shepherd Dogs are black [b]and[/b] brown!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The death penalty seems a little harsh.
View Quote

[b]Not at all, the death penalty is justified, in my mind[/b]

I've long maintained that dogs, and animals of whatever kind, should never be trained to attack humans. And should they attack a human, whether under control by people or by nature, they should be killed.

Maybe it's because of the German Shepards that the Nazis used.
Maybe it's because of how vicious the the Doberman, Rottweiler, or pit bull breeding programs are getting.

But mostly I think it's because I'm for my own species. I'm an advocate of speciesism, that is the assumption of human superiority and the protection of human life over animal life.

Police or Public Safety Authorities should never be allowed to sic an animal on a human.
Send a human after a human.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Typical!! I for one am getting pretty tired of it. Let um police their own digs. If they want change let um initiate it themselves and fix it themselves.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#13]

[i]But mostly I think it's because I'm for my own species. I'm an advocate of speciesism, that is the assumption of human superiority and the protection of human life over animal life.[/i]

We used scout dogs very effectively in Vietnam for all sorts of purposes
very usefull at interogations...
Dogs attack the bad guy to save human lives...cops are humans to you know.
Also when my dog attacks the guys trying to get into my house and after my wife and daughter..hopefully when the dog gets done the bad guys are dead or so severely hurt they cant function or think in rape mode...and then my dog gets a big juicy steak as a reward...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We used scout dogs very effectively in Vietnam for all sorts of purposes
very usefull at interogations...
View Quote

Just because we are Americans and Vietnam was a bad war does not mean it was moral to send an animal after a human.
Dogs attack the bad guy to save human lives...cops are humans to you know.
View Quote

You don't get it, do you? Using any animal to attack another human being is repugnant. Just because a person assumes moral superiority as a uniformed peace officer does not lend morality to the act.

In the end result, it is a moral and ethical decision that has been made to devalue the human.

Also when my dog attacks the guys trying to get into my house and after my wife and daughter..hopefully when the dog gets done the bad guys are dead or so severely hurt they cant function or think in rape mode...and then my dog gets a big juicy steak as a reward...
View Quote
I would NEVER say you cannot defend your family.
And if the family pet reached the intruder before you, I don't have a problem with that. Domesticated animals have acted to save their masters for millennia.
But YOU are the SMARTER animal and the MASTER. You must investigate. The right to defend and protect your family is YOURS. To completely surrogate it to the animal is questionable.

But this thread was about a Police Dog and and innocent bystander, wasn't it? Not your family.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[b]Not at all, the death penalty is justified, in my mind[/b]
View Quote

The article kind of gives the impression that they want to kill the dog because it profiles, not because it bit someone.
But councilwoman Wanda Jones Dixon said Dolpho can also tell the difference between blacks and whites, and should be put to sleep.
View Quote

If that is the reason they want to kill it, they would have to kill every dog or at least gouge all of their eyes out.

I actually agree with you on the one bite rule, although I am not so parochial as to be a speciest.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there a problem with profiling, racial or otherwise?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted: Using any animal to attack another human being is repugnant. Just because a person assumes moral superiority as a uniformed peace officer does not lend morality to the act..
View Quote

Iridium, my dear, please stop and think for a moment.
When a police dog hits a bad guy, the bad guy rarely dies from it. He gets bitten, on an arm or leg, generally.
When a policeman *shoots* a bad guy, they *frequently* die from it. Cops shoot to center of mass, as they are trained to do.
A police dog is a non-lethal (mostly) form of force.
Would you rather the cops just SHOOT everytime?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
News Clip..
On Friday, while K-9 officer Schawn Barger wrestled with a drug suspect, he said a quick-release button on his belt was activated, accidentally opening a door to the K-9 wagon
View Quote

Seems we need "Smart Buttons" that read thumbprints.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Poor bitch... Leave the Dog alone.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But German Shepherd Dogs are black [b]and[/b] brown!
View Quote

plus dogs are color blind!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
"The dog lunged from the vehicle and bit a 9-year-old boy on the leg instead of the suspect, dragging him for about 20 feet, family members said. The boy is black."

I don't see why it matters if the kid is black. The dog attacked him. What was the kid doing to provoke this attack? Is it now acceptable for police dogs to attack children? What if it was your kid that was attacked?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I just reread this part of it:

"The dog saw movement. There was a lot of noise — a lot of screaming," Barger said. "It was basically just complete chaos and the [b] dog, he just could not tell who the bad guy was and who the good people were." [/b]

Hmmm,
So what is a "good person" supposed to do in this situation? If a police dog randomly attacks me what is the officer going to do about it. "Oh gee, sorry bout that."
I say put both of them to sleep.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if the dog is sexist too, if he is maybe he will take a chomp at Councilwoman Dixon...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if the dog is sexist too, if he is maybe he will take a chomp at Councilwoman Dixon...
View Quote

He's probably pro-palestinian too. Go get 'em Eric!

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had the pleasure and honor of working with Canine partners. The dogs absolutely develop streeret smarts and can pick crooks out of the croud.

Killing this dog is way to harsh though for one bad bite.

I'm sure they could find a family that would adopt the dog if he must be retired.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Ya'll seem to be missing another big point of stupidity: some vet was quoted as saying that the dog could indeed differentiate between races/colors. Kinda freakin' stupid!!!!!

But where is Al Sharpton when he's needed????????????
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Lots of chaos, hard to tell who the bad guys were? Makes me wonder what the 9 year old was doing there to begin with. Sounds like once again we are only hearing part of the real story.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow...what can be said.  A wonderful sign of what this world is coming to.  "That dog's racist!"  ****ing idiots need to be killed instead of the dog.  This is absurd...beyond belief.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#30]

In my experience dogs do not differentiate between suspects and innocents.

For example in our department we do not release a K-9 until we are sure that the suspect is the only person left in the building, and when the dog is released, NO ONE MOVES. If you are an officer, and are in that building when the K-9 comes in you stand just as good a chance as the suspect does of getting bit.

Iridium, didn't our K-9 chase you down last weekend? [:D]

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
But mostly I think it's because I'm for my own species. I'm an advocate of speciesism, that is the assumption of human superiority and the protection of human life over animal life.
View Quote
You're making the horrible mistake of thinking these idiots are actually worthy of being called human.  Anyone that thinks a dog is racist is so unable to reason that they are definitely a hazard to our gene pool.  Keep the dog, put them to sleep.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#32]
I always thought the dogs were key to movement and resistance. You run or move you get bit, you resist and you get bit.
I also would like to know what the 9 yr. old was doing there.They use kids as mules because of their juvinile status ,and the way the laws deal with them.
I don't know but I would tend to be on the dogs side.
I trust a dog more than most humans.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ya'll seem to be missing another big point of stupidity: some vet was quoted as saying that the dog could indeed differentiate between races/colors. Kinda freakin' stupid!!!!!

View Quote

Given that dogs do most of their work by scent, it's not surprising. Ethnic groups do indeed have different smells, most of which you and I probably wouldn't notice under most circumstances but would be readily apparent to a dog's keen senses. I suspect these are due to things like diet, hygiene, even different products like hair care and so forth. Even things like body posture, voice, et cetera.

I have known several dogs, including one of my old ones, that grew agitated around black men, but had no problem at all around black women or children. Given a dog's very different sensorium, there's no telling what all they could cue in on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
You're making the horrible mistake of thinking these idiots are actually worthy of being called human.   Keep the dog, put them to sleep.
View Quote
Now that you've defined quite well the ultimate conclusion when you devalue a human to less than an animal.

It's the same conclusion that has allowed megalomaniacs to march Christians into a lion's den or Jews into an oven. People are identified as subhuman, then given over as sport for animal attacks.

Just lovely.

My point: Don't march people into lion's dens, don't push a human into shark -infested waters, don't leave your victium "to the wolves", don't build a snake pit, don't sic a dog on a person.

If you have a problem with a person. Deal with it. If you are too weak or scared, hire another to go in for you. Go in a group. Or don't go at all.

Humans for and about humans. If you are going to think about treating a human like a G-D damn animal, be honest about your ultimate opinion of that persons worth in your eyes and just kill them outright quickly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Humans for and about humans.
View Quote

Nope. It would be a mistake to say that all "humans" have equal value. Some have very little value.

Do I consider a trained dog that cost about $7,000.00 to be more valuable than some "humans"? Absolutely. But then I consider the cup of coffee I am drinking right now to be more valuable than some humans too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe the dogs been watching too many
[URL=http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V+++116749,00.html] movies? [/URL]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Apparently, all notions of thought and reason escape this woman.  

The officer said that there was a lot of commotion and struggling; hence the dog is agitated and goes into protect/attack mode.  

Also, dogs can indeed smell fear on people, among other things, and when the kid ran, the dog went after it.  If I get my rather timid Chesapeake Bay Retriever worked up and run away from him he chases me for Pete’s sake!  

It’s no wonder a police-trained German Shepherd, already highly agitated, chased and “attacked” the kid.  

I agree, why was the kid there?  “What is the rest of the story?”, as Paul Harvey would say.

A final point.  If this dog is "racist", show me evidence.  How many other blacks has it attacked unprovoked?  What is its demeanor while around blacks?  Does it have a history of non-discriminatory unprovoked attacks?  Unpack the problem, don't just jump to conclusions.  

Iridium, BTW, police dogs are tools, just like guns.  It certainly is no more "repugnant" to use a dog to subdue a violent suspect than it is to use mace or a baton; get real Iridium.

By your logic, if a human uses anything other than his bare hands on a human, the human is equated as an object--that's plain silly.  

The point of using the dog, or tear gas, or whatever other tool, is to avoid injuring more HUMANS than necessary--the cops as well as the suspect.  Sheesh!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
You're making the horrible mistake of thinking these idiots are actually worthy of being called human.   Keep the dog, put them to sleep.
View Quote
Now that you've defined quite well the ultimate conclusion when you devalue a human to less than an animal.

It's the same conclusion that has allowed megalomaniacs to march Christians into a lion's den or Jews into an oven. People are identified as subhuman, then given over as sport for animal attacks.

Just lovely.

My point: Don't march people into lion's dens, don't push a human into shark -infested waters, don't leave your victium "to the wolves", don't build a snake pit, don't sic a dog on a person.

If you have a problem with a person. Deal with it. If you are too weak or scared, hire another to go in for you. Go in a group. Or don't go at all.

Humans for and about humans. If you are going to think about treating a human like a G-D damn animal, be honest about your ultimate opinion of that persons worth in your eyes and just kill them outright quickly.
View Quote

I always CHEER when I hear " Come Out or we will send in the Dog " I love it.

If you think just because something may look human does not make it a human. Rapist, murders, Robbers, How much are they worth ? When someone takes and doesn't give back to family or socially that is a negative worth.

I have been bitten by more than one dog. He was doing his job. He said he was sorry and MEANT IT.
I have been attacked by HUMANS and they did it to enrich themselves.

To help someone you have to hurt them at times. You would rather kill a person than have them subdued by a dog so they can be arrested or brought to the hospital for treatment?

I don't think you really thought this out.

We use tools to control others humans all the time. Clubs,Mace,Rope,Firearms,Handcuffs etc..

I think my favorite it the dog.

Just my .02 Cents worth

A dog is man's best friend !
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I listened to this lady on the radio today. She is obviously racist. She said she would fear any whitecop with a k-9 but not a black cop with a k-9.
View Quote

WRONG.  

"Black people cannot be racist." --Michael Moore

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Given that dogs do most of their work by scent, it's not surprising. Ethnic groups do indeed have different smells, most of which you and I probably wouldn't notice under most circumstances but would be readily apparent to a dog's keen senses. I suspect these are due to things like diet, hygiene, even different products like hair care and so forth. Even things like body posture, voice, et cetera.

I have known several dogs, including one of my old ones, that grew agitated around black men, but had no problem at all around black women or children. Given a dog's very different sensorium, there's no telling what all they could cue in on.
View Quote

I can agree with this.  To an animal you're probably not black, white, etc....  You're stink#1, stink#2, etc....

Gotta go....I think my neighbor's cat is targetting me for a hate crime.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just reread this part of it:

"The dog saw movement. There was a lot of noise — a lot of screaming," Barger said. "It was basically just complete chaos and the [b] dog, he just could not tell who the bad guy was and who the good people were." [/b]

Hmmm,
So what is a "good person" supposed to do in this situation? If a police dog randomly attacks me what is the officer going to do about it. "Oh gee, sorry bout that."
I say put both of them to sleep.
View Quote

What if the drug dealer had accidentally shot the kid during the scuffle?  Would he have been put to sleep?  NO.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you think just because something may look human does not make it a human. Rapist, murders, Robbers, How much are they worth ?
View Quote
Go put on your black uniform, harness up your German Shepard, and we'll trust your judgement as to who is human and who is not. Pre-judged with your wisdom, no trial necessary.  -  - [b]NOT![/b]
I have been bitten by more than one dog. He was doing his job. He said he was sorry and MEANT IT. I think my favorite it the dog.

Just my .02 Cents worth

View Quote
I am thinking it out. I'm thinking that you believe dogs can feel remorse and communicate it. There is a term psychologists use for this type of behavior that's called anthropomorphizing. It's a fantasy that attributes human form or personality to things not human.
You would rather kill a person than have them subdued by a dog so they can be arrested or brought to the hospital for treatment?
View Quote
There are more options open in a situation than death or animal attack. Your narrow focus on only two options is a limitation of the thought process.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think just because something may look human does not make it a human. Rapist, murders, Robbers, How much are they worth ?
View Quote
Go put on your black uniform, harness up your German Shepard, and we'll trust your judgement as to who is human and who is not. Pre-judged with your wisdom, no trial necessary.  -  - [b]NOT![/b]
I have been bitten by more than one dog. He was doing his job. He said he was sorry and MEANT IT. I think my favorite it the dog.

Just my .02 Cents worth

View Quote
I am thinking it out. I'm thinking that you believe dogs can feel remorse and communicate it. There is a term psychologists use for this type of behavior that's called anthropomorphizing. It's a fantasy that attributes human form or personality to things not human.
You would rather kill a person than have them subdued by a dog so they can be arrested or brought to the hospital for treatment?
View Quote
There are more options open in a situation than death or animal attack. Your narrow focus on only two options is a limitation of the thought process.

View Quote

Never had a dog have you?

I have, many of them. I guess that would make me more qualified than you on the subject. At least in  writing about something that I have experienced.

You should not limit yourself to the experiences of others. Get out and make a difference. Feel what it is like to have a human with his hands around your throat, Spitting blood in your face. If only you were there to help the leo the dog might never have gotten out.

I Get the feeling YOU must TRUST MY JUDGEMENT because you have not done anything in the real world to help protect the innocent or weak from the predators who would prey upon them.

I have !     [:D]

Talk is sooooooo cheap !

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing"
-Edmund Burke.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

...Go put on your black uniform, harness up your German Shepard, and we'll trust your judgement as to who is human and who is not. Pre-judged with your wisdom, no trial necessary.  -  - [b]NOT![/b]...

View Quote

A police dog is a tool.  And so, apparently, are you.

[:P]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Never had a dog have you?
View Quote

Wrong
I have, many of them. I guess that would make me more qualified than you on the subject.
View Quote
Wrong

At least in  writing about something that I have experienced.

You should not limit yourself to the experiences of others. Get out and make a difference. Feel what it is like to have a human with his hands around your throat, Spitting blood in your face.
View Quote
Who says I've not made a difference, you? You with judgement so poor that you trust animals over humans, and you let an assailant get so close and overwhelm you to the point they were choking you?
I Get the feeling YOU must TRUST MY JUDGEMENT because you have not done anything in the real world to help protect the innocent or weak from the predators who would prey upon them. I have !  Talk is sooooooo cheap !
View Quote

Especially your talk. No, I'm not going to trust your judgement, or put value on your outrageous assumptions.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you read my posts from yesterday? Do you have something intelligent to contribute or is this just a personal attack?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#49]
One thing to be grateful for is the child got  bit by a dog during the uncontrollable savage melee instead of a human POS.  No matter what disease a dog has there is a shot to cure it, on the other hand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you read my posts from yesterday? Do you have something intelligent to contribute or is this just a personal attack?
View Quote

Well, just couldn't resist the joke.

My comment is just what I said:  a police dog is a tool, and like any other carries with it risks/consequences if misused or if mistakes are made, as in this case.  It's no different than a gun, baton, or police cruiser for that matter.  I imagine people are injured by car accidents involving cops, so is that some kind of auto vs. human distinction we need to worry about?

You act like it's some kind of "fire and forget" weapon, not attached to a trained handler.  It's not, it's a tool, one of many available to law enforcement.

Why is this a problem?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top