Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2014 5:59:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
An asset like that would have to be depreciated over its useful lifetime. Ask your accountant.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a similar situation. I have three metal buildings ranging from 30x40 to 50x50 that are used for my business. My accountant said any tax benefit from claiming them would be small and would complicate things if I were ever to sell my house. I decided it was not worth it to mess with it. As previously said it is a depreciation over many years like 20 or something(not sure how many). So if you have a 20k building you get a $1000 deduction a year which doesn't save you $1000 it it saves you $1000 times your tax rate so a savings of $200-$300 per year. Then when you sell your house in twenty years and your shop is worth 20k and it's tax basis is zero you will have to pay taxes on a 20k gain. Overall seems like a giant hassle for not much savings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, I am a CPA, but though I've studied tax regulations thoroughly, my professional focus is in accounting. So I highly recommend talking to a local CPA that does taxes full-time. Spending a couple hundred dollars now can save you a huge headache later.

However, I do have the following thoughts about your situation:

Claiming part of your personal property as a business expense is tricky and can often be a red flag that triggers an IRS audit (mainly because so many people don't do it correctly). You've got to have proper documentation showing the total expense and then allocating out the personal and business percentages. The easiest example is if you have a 3000 sqft house and run a business out of one room that's 300 sqft, then you can allocate monthly expenses (like electricity) to it using a 10% ratio. I would think the same concept could be applied to multiple buildings. Though it would be easier if you allocated the entire barn to the business and sub-metered it for utilities.

As for the actual purchase price, I'd recommend checking with a full-time tax professional. Businesses have a set depreciation schedule for their assets, which is normally accelerated (so you get the most in year 1 and then it declines in each subsequent year). Because it's co-mingled with personal property, you'd have to make sure and allocate everything out between the two (i.e. what's the value applied to the barn versus the main house in the total purchase price). Also keep in mind that this effects both sides of the equation. Mortgage interest, for example, would get allocated between personal and business, so only part of it would go into your personal itemized deductions and the rest would hit the P&L of the business.

Another thing to consider is that the property is correctly zoned. I'm not sure where you're looking at moving to, but I'd check that running a business out of the home is allowed. Otherwise your first federal tax return would be evidence against you in a local lawsuit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you Ducking... We are zoned for the business. One of the many perks of living out in the country.

Great info you provided. It may be more of a headache than it's worth but we will have a chat with our accountant and see what, if any, financial benefit we may have by claiming a pole barn.
View Quote

You're very welcome. It was my pleasure!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An asset like that would have to be depreciated over its useful lifetime. Ask your accountant.
View Quote

Section 178 Deduction.IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top