Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:58:35 PM EST
I am thinking about getting one of these. Dose anyone know anything about them? Are they reliable? they look fun but $10,000 is allot for fun is it worth it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:17 PM EST
Buy one used, And make sure you can fit in it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:35 PM EST
I can't find a used one, I got to run one on a track and it was very fun. My wife and me fit just fine
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:08:37 PM EST
For a side x side it's the one to buy.

Polaris isn't known to be the most reliable but they're not junk.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:10:30 PM EST
One of my friends has one. It's a great machine. It even holds it's own in the sand dunes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:13:08 PM EST
I wouldn't own a Polaris anything. They are cheaper than some of the other stuff out there but you will get exactly what you pay for. I'd look around a little more at some of the other machines and compare the suspension etc.

I have a Kubota RTV. It is not a sport maching but a work machine. It puts the polaris to shame. If you're looking at the RZR the Kubota is not a machine you would want.

I have looked at the 4 wheelers, motorcycles and the side by sides (when purchasing the Kubota) and there is no comparison. IMHO they are really built cheap compared to the other machines

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:04:35 PM EST
i got a polaris sportsman 500HO and its a solid piece of machine. around here on the ranches and on the trails you will see polaris 3x1 vs the competition.

i rode them all before buying and the polaris was defiantly the nicer ride. i rode them in the field and beat the crap out of them, not just around a parking lot. the polaris had more power, smoother ride and it was cheaper in price. just my 2 cents..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:16:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 9:16:58 PM EST by ten-ring]
Originally Posted By rapracing:

I have looked at the 4 wheelers, motorcycles and the side by sides (when purchasing the Kubota) and there is no comparison. IMHO they are really built cheap compared to the other machines

Kubota makes motorcycles?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:11:43 AM EST
I have been looking at the RZR as well. It has got some good reviews.

The suspension is much better than a work version side by side. I would be using mine mostly at the dunes, but to be honest 10,000. is a bunch of $$ for a new toy.

My friends told me i could buy a very nice jeep or sand rail for the same $$. I couldnt argue that logic. I havent bought anything yet.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:57:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 4:01:02 AM EST by rapracing]
Originally Posted By ten-ring:

That's not what I said. I said when comparing stde by side. Did you not see the ()? By the way, they don't make 4heelers either. Sit a polaris by a Yamaha, AC, Honda or any other quality machine and look at them. The quality is very apparent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:36:39 AM EST

That's not what I said. I said when comparing stde by side. Did you not see the ()? By the way, they don't make 4heelers either. Sit a polaris by a Yamaha, AC, Honda or any other quality machine and look at them. The quality is very apparent.

To make things easy, this is the Kubota he was talking about:

The Kubota website mentions that the newest models now come with air conditioning.

About the only thing it has in common with the RZR the OP is asking about are 4 wheels and two seats.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:16 AM EST
I have a Polaris Ranger XP which I really like. In my opinion, Polaris makes a great side by side. The Rzr is obviously all play, the Kubota above is obviously all work. To the OP: you will love the Rzr as long as you understand it has very limited potential for utility. The Ranger XP is a good compromise between the Rzr and the Kubota. Kubota makes a fine tractor, but to me, their side by sides haven’t strayed far enough from their tractors. My XP will easily go 50 MPH, will climb virtually any hill, and will also haul 1,500 lbs smoothly over virtually any terrain. I can't think of another similar machine that can do all that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:14:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By security6:

http://www.utvguide.net/images/Kubota_RTV500_Orange-1.jpg

The Kubota website mentions that the newest models now come with air conditioning.

About the only thing it has in common with the RZR the OP is asking about are 4 wheels and two seats.

We actually have a RTV900. No A/C but it has the roof, windshield, bedliner, brushed aluminum wheels and is silver. They built a 35th anniversary edition in '08.

I haul hay, and have hauled tons of horse poop and fire wood. It also has a hydraulic dump bed. I haven't found anything it will not dump.

If you want to go out and go fast, jump things and bust it up it's not the machine for you. Top speed is about 28/29 mph. It is like a tank though. It has the 3 cyl diesel engine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:54:30 PM EST

We actually have a RTV900. No A/C but it has the roof, windshield, bedliner, brushed aluminum wheels and is silver. They built a 35th anniversary edition in '08.

I haul hay, and have hauled tons of horse poop and fire wood. It also has a hydraulic dump bed. I haven't found anything it will not dump.

If you want to go out and go fast, jump things and bust it up it's not the machine for you. Top speed is about 28/29 mph. It is like a tank though. It has the 3 cyl diesel engine.

The fact that hes looking at the RZR should give you a clue hes not looking for useing it for work.

OP, if you can buy a used sand rail, thats from a good company, buy it, alot more fun there and you could most likely title it for on road driving.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:03:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 7:10:35 PM EST by rapracing]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:

The fact that hes looking at the RZR should give you a clue hes not looking for useing it for work.

OP, if you can buy a used sand rail, thats from a good company, buy it, alot more fun there and you could most likely title it for on road driving.

UMMMM! I got a clue. I was responding the the post about the Kubota.

And....... If I were looking for a go fast have fun machine the Polaris would still be at the bottom of the list. If I'm going to spend/blow that much money I'm getting the most for my dollar. There are better machines for the same money.

ETA: The RZR is a neat looking machine on the outside, it's what is under the fiberglass and other pretty's that really matters. I was not going to post this and maybe should not. I had one friend who had one and admittedly he got it to rip and tear. It was in the shop several times in the first year. He got rid of it. Another buddy had the full size polaris for a couple of years and really liked it. He went and got a rzr and had all kinds of problems as well. He used the RZR for what it looks like it should be used for and really is not built to do for very long. Both had problems with suspension parts breaking and also the suspension would break down, by that I mean weaken quickly, and not work properely. Anyway, I am done in this thread. The OP has to decide if the RZR is for him.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:23:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 9:24:37 PM EST by www-glock19-com]
Originally Posted By bmmc:

I sold um and this was almost exactly what I was going to post

they are the most fun of the stock UTVs

but as said 80% of what I see broken down in the public riding areas are Polaris machines
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:28:04 AM EST
As a retired Polaris Master Technician, I can honestly say the Razor continues the fine reputation Polaris Industries is famous for.

Poorly engineered, cheaply made, and rushed into production without enough research and development. The lack of factory support to the dealer network is absolutely appalling.

Sorry to offend anyone, but this is the hard truth. IF an American company could build a reliable ATV, I will be the first person in line to buy at least two.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:48:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 4:49:41 AM EST by Burntrubber87]
RZR's are the fastest side by side out there, that should be reason enough to buy it..I can not explain in words how much fun side by sides are. I for one, like polaris..not only because they make atv's for the military (MV800 quad, MVRS800 side by side.) but i had a sportsman when i was younger and I loved it, I used to drive it like I hated it, drove over alot of tree's, used to drag trucks and cars around the transmission shop with it. sold it for what i paid for it 4 years after I bought it too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:06:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:11:49 AM EST by www-glock19-com]
From working at a multi line power sports dealer

I will say the RZR is fun but if you do not need 2 seats look at a Redline Revolt

but their reliablity is probably on line with polaris and the price is about 50% higer than a RZR
they are worth the $$$

or if ya need 2 seats they make the RIOT
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:32 AM EST

This is the answer for me. For $10,000. It better be the most reliable 4x4 ever made There is nothing worse then breaking down in the middle of nowhere with your wife after spending $10.000 on a toy I think it would go something like this

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:07:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By nvhunter:

This is the answer for me. For $10,000. It better be the most reliable 4x4 ever made There is nothing worse then breaking down in the middle of nowhere with your wife after spending $10.000 on a toy I think it would go something like this

That's what I said Just not as forth right I guess
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:37 PM EST
My brother in-law, his sister has one. It will do around 60mph, but has already had the motor replaced, she got it stuck in deep mud, and the motor locked up.

So I would say don't bother.
Top Top