Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/4/2009 5:28:04 AM EST
I keep seeing these "WWF" Polar Bear comercials on tv about them all starving and dieing ect..."Just send money,and they will live " What in the fuck is this all about?? Are they "really" dropping off like flies in fall time?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:29:29 AM EST
Al Gore trap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:30:08 AM EST
There are only two left in world. Donate all your worldly possessions to wwf.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:30:41 AM EST
No. The population has increased greatly in the past few years (something like doubled in the last 20 years). Putting the polar bears on the endangered list was a political stunt to "prove" global warming.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:31:45 AM EST
They better not be. I haven't killed one yet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:31:46 AM EST
Polar bears are going to be extinct, give us your money at: ____________________
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:32:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 7:02:19 AM EST by Plumbata]
The Canadians think they are being overrun with them and want a hunting season.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:33:23 AM EST
Even if they were, does it really matter?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:33:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Lord_Grey_Boots:
No. The population has increased greatly in the past few years (something like doubled in the last 20 years). Putting the polar bears on the endangered list was a political stunt to "prove" global warming.

How do these libtard fucks get away with this level of fraud??? Do dumb fucks really send money????
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:37:30 AM EST

http://newsbusters.org/node/12694

Polar Bear Baby Boom Occurring in Eastern Arctic, Will Media Notice?

This one is really too funny, folks, and definitely requires all potables, combustibles, and sharp objects be properly stowed (grateful and humorous h/t to NBer dscott).

Despite all the carping and whining by folks like soon-to-be-Dr. Al Gore and his not so merry band of sycophant devotees about global warming killing polar bears, there is actually a baby boom occurring in this species in Canada’s eastern Arctic.

As marvelously reported May 3 by the Christian Science Monitor (emphasis added throughout):

Story Continues Below Ad ↓
Polar bears are the poster animals of global warming. The image of a polar bear floating on an ice floe is one of the most dramatic visual statements in the fight against rising temperatures in the Arctic.

But global warming is not killing the polar bears of Canada's eastern Arctic, according to one ongoing study. Scheduled for release next year, it says the number of polar bears in the Davis Strait area of Canada's eastern Arctic – one of 19 polar bear populations worldwide – has grown to 2,100, up from 850 in the mid-1980s.

For those keeping score, that’s an almost 150 percent increase in two decades.

The article continued:

"There aren't just a few more bears. There are a ... lot more bears," biologist Mitchell Taylor told the Nunatsiaq News of Iqaluit in the Arctic territory of Nunavut. Earlier, in a long telephone conversation, Dr. Taylor explained his conviction that threats to polar bears from global warming are exaggerated and that their numbers are increasing. He has studied the animals for the Nunavut government for two decades.

Hmmm. So, a local biologist that has studied polar bears for two decades says their population is increasing. How marvelous.

Similarly delicious was how the Monitor took issue with the now famous picture of polar bears floating on an ice floe:

The study by Taylor and his team has received widespread media coverage in Canada, shaking the image of the polar bear as endangered. There are even questions about the famous photograph of a polar bear adrift on what looks like an isolated and melting ice floe. Even scientists who firmly believe that the bears are under threat from climate change say the picture doesn't tell the whole truth.

Polar bears often travel on ice floes, and they can swim "easily" in open water for 60 miles, according to [Andrew Derocher of the World Conservation Union]. "Bears will often hang out on glacier ice or large pieces of multiyear ice. To me that picture looked a little fudged," he says. "But some colleagues of mine said it was legit."

Finally, the Monitor addressed what people who actually live in the Arctic are saying about the polar bear population:

Inuit hunters make their own estimates of the polar bear population based on the number of animals they encounter on their travels. Taylor says scientists have ignored the anecdotal evidence of the Inuit, who say bear numbers were rising. Inuits also report more polar bears wandering into their towns and villages, where they are a threat to children.

"I'm pretty sure the numbers [of polar bears] are climbing," says Pitselak Pudlat, an Inuit hunter and manager of the Aiviq Hunters and Trappers Organization at Cape Dorset, Baffin Island. "During the winter there were polar bears coming into town." His community is north of the bear population studied by Taylor.

Why should we care what he or the Nunavut biologist say when people in Hollywood like Leonardo DiCaprio, Sheryl Crow, and Laurie David say otherwise?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:39:25 AM EST
I lived on Slope for seven years and the number of Polar bears are great in numbers. The bears have gone from 5-6000 to 26,000 plus.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:40:49 AM EST
there fine
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:46:07 AM EST
horse shit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:51:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:53:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:53:48 AM EST
PEAK BEARS!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:54:56 AM EST
I hate polar bears, they scare me on the cola commercials. If I were king of the world I would nuke from orbit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:14:00 AM EST
It's the penguin that's in trouble.....

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:23:30 AM EST
If I remember correctly, they used a computer model to predict the future effects of global warming on the polar bear population. Complete BS.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:38:14 AM EST
George Bush is an asshat for protecting a species that is thriving. I really wanted a polar bear hide.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:40:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:43:18 AM EST
I don't know about you guys, but nowdays there are NONE around here!

Bill
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:44:19 AM EST
They showed a video of a baby polar bear having to swim from an ice float to the main ice pack as their evidence of an endangered species. Only problem is that polar bears love the water and swim almost as well as fish.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:46:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By wvar15:
If I remember correctly, they used a computer model to predict the future effects of global warming on the polar bear population. Complete BS.

They did the same thing with the invasive Burmese pythons. But first they stuffed the Indian python into their model, which lives in dryer cooler climates. The fools had Burmese living in friggin Idaho.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:50:42 AM EST
Even if they were going extinct, it's hubris and folly to assume that it's our fault or our obligation to "save" them.

What, are we not going to let ANYthing go extinct on our watch? We're going to try to stop a process that has been going on for a billion years? That's the ultimate in elitest thinking.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:55:31 AM EST
polar bears have never done shit for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:55:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:57:54 AM EST
Even if they do, who are we to intervene?

Nature has been doing her thing for billions of years, and she will continue to do so. What we "want" or "care about" is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:00:55 AM EST
I've given plenty of support to the WWF over the years and am proud of it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:05:52 AM EST

AB
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:15:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By brasidas:
George Bush is an asshat for protecting a species that is thriving. I really wanted a polar bear hide.

What did he have to do with it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:32:30 PM EST
Polar bear populations are at an all-time high for the 20th and 21st centuries.

Film of the bears clinging to icebergs, and swimming in the water are filmed every year. During breakup. Which happens every year. And has for the last thousand years.

Americans are too stupid to know that they're being duped.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:41:41 PM EST
Just a thought. Polar bears don't eat ice for food. They eat fish mostly. Less ice makes it easier to get to the fish.
Global warming is actually good for the polar bears.....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:01:07 PM EST

The premise that polar bears need ice to survive is pure fiction. Polar bears can only live at the edges of the ice as they would starve with solid sheet polar ice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:03:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By MTUSA:
Even if they were, does it really matter?

Nope, not at all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:23:09 PM EST
they are eating each other and need your help. even though science is not suppose to fuck with nature. global warming and the lack of thumbs or some shit. i say after the GOP wins in 2012 we feed the registered democrats to them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:29:05 AM EST
Just a thought. Polar bears don't eat ice for food. They eat fish mostly. Less ice makes it easier to get to the fish.
Global warming is actually good for the polar bears.....

Actually, they eat seals, walrus, sometimes whales and anything else that moves on the ice.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:31:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 7:32:29 AM EST by Dr_Dickie]

Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
There are only two left in world. Donate all your worldly possessions to wwf.

Yep, one is named George and the other is named Steve.
The future does not look good!
However, if you send enough money, we may at least get them married before all is lost.

Sorry, I just had to!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:36:27 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:41:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 7:42:20 AM EST by trdvet]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

The premise that polar bears need ice to survive is pure fiction. Polar bears can only live at the edges of the ice as they would starve with solid sheet polar ice.

Hahaha, I never knew why people did not understand this. RIP common sense, you will be missed.

Now send money to the WWF it's for the children polar bears!
Top Top