Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 6:20:02 AM EDT
I got poison ivy on the right side of face, and neck. DAMN....

I was cleaning out around some more trees to have them cut down, and thought I was wrapped up like a mummy good enough, but nope.

A ivy vine fell across my face, the only exposed skin at the time, and got me.

Last night was miserable trying to sleep. Dang I hate this stuff...

Maybe if I can catch the neighbors dogs he lets run loose, and put on a pair gloves and grab a handful of poison ivy leaves and rub all over the dogs, then dogs go home, guy pets dogs and HEHEHEHEHE

Hmmmmmmmm just thinking out loud.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 6:26:54 AM EDT by mcculver5]
Dude, I hear ya.

It looks like an acid burn when that stuff hits me.

The steroids are almost as bad.

Your neighbor, being an ass, is likely imune to the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1shott:
I got poison ivy on the right side of face, and neck. DAMN....

I was cleaning out around some more trees to have them cut down, and thought I was wrapped up like a mummy good enough, but nope.

A ivy vine fell across my face, the only exposed skin at the time, and got me.

Last night was miserable trying to sleep. Dang I hate this stuff...

Maybe if I can catch the neighbors dogs he lets run loose, and put on a pair gloves and grab a handful of poison ivy leaves and rub all over the dogs, then dogs go home, guy pets dogs and HEHEHEHEHE

Hmmmmmmmm just thinking out loud.....



Two home remedies that I know for a fact work.
The first is probably not gonna help you given the your AO.
That would be to use hard scrub brush and run into the surf (ocean/salt water) and the effected area will be on it's way to normal by night fall.

The second is to use that scrub brush and scrub hard as you can take it to open those little blisters.
Then clean out the area with this soap.
Octagon bar brown soap.

www.soapsgonebuy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=34&HS=1

Th one thing people don't understand is that once an area is effected and a blister raises the toxin from the plant does not spread from those blisters, it's already been absorbed into your dermis.

The reason some ares appear to be affected the two days later is that the toxin just absorbed into that area , or was laying on the top of dirt or dead skin.(delayed reaction, sort of)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:24:01 AM EDT
Keep some hand cleaner around while outside if you are that sensitive. The orange gojo automotive type hand cleaner is what I use, without the pumice but use whatever you prefer.

This lets me clean up immediately while outside so I can either keep working or limit the time the oil is on me.

I have taken to scratching open the blisters but need to be a bit more careful to avoid going too deep.

I use rubbing alcohol on the area after I scratch it open since I am of the opinion that rubbing alcohol will kill most everything.

Once I do this the blisters will just flake off in a few days and the skin will be discolored for several days to 2 weeks. But the itching stops as the skin returns to its normal color and here lately I keep getting into poison ivy while mowing my trails and I can not figure out exactly where I am getting it from.

Anyway, automotive type hand cleaner for the first time around since it breaks down oil and grease so well and after that I use rubbing alcohol on it and scratch it open.

Though I admit if I got it on my face and neck I might not scratch open the blisters. I have sat around with a needle and popped each blister in the past but I was a bored kid with nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:41:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 7:42:12 AM EDT by Ring]
Poison-ivy preventative now available - Interpro's Ivy Shield topical cream
www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod361003&CATID=100949&skuid=sku361004&V=G&ec=frgl_673924

An over-the-counter topical cream effectively protects against poison ivy and oak when applied prior to exposure, reports William Epstein, M.D. In a double-blind study of seven volunteers known to be sensitive to poison ivy, he compared three aerosol shields with a topical cream (Ivy Shield, Interpro Inc.) using coded patches on the forearms.

Four hours after application of the shields, each section of the forearm was exposed to tested dilutions of urushiol, the catechol allergen in poison ivy and oak. In seven of nine challenges and 13 of 16 cases overall, the topical cream was a more effective barrier than the aerosols, says Dr. Epstein. He said that topical shields are not for patients who are extremely sensitive to poison ivy or oak, but rather are most useful to give better protection outdoors for those who are moderately sensitive.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_559.html

http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/poisonivy.htm

Top Top