Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 4:34:41 AM EDT
I thought I would get through another season without it, but I have a little on my face and wrist.

What do you use to keep it the itching to a minimum?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Hurts like hell, but bleach will dry it right up.  

Be careful of what concentration you use.  Some of it needs to be watered down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I got some on my thumb and it spread to my face, ears, and arm and other places.. When it got to my nostrils and neck, I went to the doctor last Saturday. Calamine wasn't getting it done..
I had already taken some Benadryl so I couldn't get a shot, but he gave me a 'script for some pills and some antihistamine lotion that dried it right up.
He also suggested soaking in a chlorinated pool. That also helped a lot, though I spent some of my time in the pool vacuuming it. :) It hasn't itched or wept in a few days, it's almost gone now. It was worth the $20 co-pay and the $10 in meds. Last Friday was miserable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Benedryl spray. It's OTC and you can get it at Walmart. Use it often. It clears mine up pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep a small bottle of bleach with you whenever you go to an area that you risk exposure.  When exposed, immediately apply the bleach.  Heavily chlorinated pools/hot tubs for soaks, UV lamps.

I always carry bleach with me when I go to the woods.  Haven't had poison ivy in 25 years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Use Oxy or any other facial astringent to break up the oil.  I also hear that whitch hazel works well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for bleach. If I get it Ill scratch until all blisters are busted and apply lots of bleach. It hurts like hell but feels better then itching for weeks.

BKVic
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm so allergic to rhus toxin I carry an emergency prescription for oral prednisone.

I have some dusting powder called Neo-PredEf that does a great job on the itchy spots.  I got it as a veterinary prescription for my cat when he had flea allergy problems.  It contains neomycin, prednisone, and a local anesthetic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Use this.

Derma Pax
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Prednisone or Cotisone, it is the only thing that WORKS!  Injections are preferred, but 3-6 day oral medication works pretty well too.

Get it from your Doctor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had poison oak so bad it left scars on my legs. I used caladryl and benadryl until it quit weeping. A visit to the doctor may have been in order but I had the thought in my head that I was a better man than that.
My advice: Go to the doctor for help with bad cases of poison oak.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Tecnu extreme poison ivy scrub.

www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnuextreme.html

Developed by a guy who worked on chemical decontamination systems for the Army.  Bonds with the urishiol so you just wash it off.

I got into some on Sunday (five days ago), didn't know it until Monday, I used this stuff twice a day and it's almost all gone already.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
If your in the woods applying the sticky stuff from milkweed will dry it up also.  and from what I have heard bleach will work better than about anything. Dont know here becuase I dont get either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Steriods
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
phells Naptha soap
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
frogleaf tea or poultice.  you'll usually find frogleaf within 20 feet of poison ivy and poison oak.  works every time.  Manitoba Cree remedy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#16]
soak the areas in the hottest water you can stand and apply a old time product called Ivy Dry. I used to get it at the drug store in Leesville, LA. I used it as a child in New Jersey. I am sure it is still out there. It works.

shop.store.yahoo.com/physlabs/572042.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tecnu extreme poison ivy scrub.

www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnuextreme.html

Developed by a guy who worked on chemical decontamination systems for the Army.  Bonds with the urishiol so you just wash it off.

I got into some on Sunday (five days ago), didn't know it until Monday, I used this stuff twice a day and it's almost all gone already.

Ditto this stuff works well right after exposure and can prevent a break-out.  After the break-out it can minimize the reaction by removing the oil.  After a reaction I use this to clean it the area a few times a day with cool water and then apply Benedryl spray.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
soak the areas in the hottest water you can stand and apply a old time product called Ivy Dry. I used to get it at the drug store in Leesville, LA. I used it as a child in New Jersey. I am sure it is still out there. It works.

shop.store.yahoo.com/physlabs/572042.html

Hot water feels really good but if you are very sensitive it can spread the oil and make the reaction worse.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What he said. I usually just use Clorox straight out of the bottle but I'm very careful and apply it with a soaked washcloth, not right out of the bottle.

Be careful with it, it'll sting for a while and you'll stink but it will dry it up in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 on the bleach applied with a damp sponge.  Of course, a fifth of bourbon is a nice addition to quell the modest discomfort (1/2 before, the rest after)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1000

ETA: I got into some a couple of weeks ago. Didn't realize it until I woke up with my feet itching like hell. Went into the bathroom and poured straight bleach on the areas. Scrubbed it with an old loofta and washed the bleach off.  No problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Another vote for bleach. If I get it Ill scratch until all blisters are busted and apply lots of bleach. It hurts like hell but feels better then itching for weeks.

BKVic

Yeah, I wouldn't RECCOMMEND it to anyone, per se, but I do a 50/50 (water/bleach concentration) take my knife and "scrape" it across the blisters to bust `em then pour on the 50/50 bleach... dries it right up (I can take a LOT of pain, but I'm a wuss when "itching" is involved).
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Tecnu and Ivy Guard before exposure if possible when you know your gonna get in the stuff. Once exposed and at the first sign of rash or itch www.zanfel.com/

It's kinda pricey but it's the best OTC product I have found. Be sure to use it in the shower though. If used in a bath it can spread the oil from one place to another.

Gold Bond powder and cream work pretty good on the itch problem too. Use the cream at night before bed and the powder dusted on the affected areas during the day. Be careful with it in those sensitive areas

Back in the late 80's we used to take a series of three shots that prevented reaction to the ivy. They worked very well for me. When I was exposed a good washing with Tecnu usually cured it. I try to avoid it as much as I can but being a telephone repairman it is a occupational hazard. You just have to get in it because that's where the work is. These shots were a Godsend to some of us. Of course the FDA took them off the market because they didn't see enough positive ( or it worked too well) to keep it on the market.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
+ 11tybillion on the zanfel, it is the best stuff I've ever used bar none. It IS worth every penny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top