Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2012 5:51:46 AM EDT
I'm putting new deck boards on my deck, it occurred to me that it would be a very simple thing to hook up an outdoor gas tap

I could just drill a hole and run a gas pipe into the basement, there is an overhead pipe that supplies the kitchen stove in the basement, right opposite the deck.

So basically, I could tap into the overhead pipe in the basement, add a shutoff valve, run the pipe right thru the wall and under the deck.

What else do i need to know?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
With all due respect, gas piping is not a DYI project.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

sure it is,  I have run gas plenty of times.  

OP what are your existing  lines made from?   Copper or black iron?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Use the gas rated teflon tape on all of your pipe fittings and check afterwards with sopy water for any leaks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It ain't that bad.  I'm half an idiot and I successfully ran a propane line for a grill on the patio.  It is pretty damn easy to check for leaks but I guess if you screw up it might be a little worse than a water leak like regular plumbing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

with all due respect... yes it can be. if you follow the simple instructions and test for leaks once done
plumbing new gas lines is EASY.
but has no margin for error or laziness
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've done some myself, and I've also hired some out.  It's not terribly difficult.  One thing to watch for is the size of the lines.  Many homes are plumbed for only the amount of gas appliances/total BTU they had at the build time, and adding more can cause issues.  

Natural gas past your meter is pretty low pressure, easy to manage stuff.  Double check your joints with soapy water, take your time, and don't take short cuts.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
OK DIYers.  Knock yourself out.  I've only been a contractor for 20 years.  WTF do I know?  Ease of doing something and doing it correctly and safely are two things that can be miles apart.

Have any of you ever seen the after effects of mistakes made with pressure gas lines?  

I'd hire a plumber or the local gas utility but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, I'm in.

I've never done any work on gas pipe.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OK DIYers.  Knock yourself out.  I've only been a contractor for 20 years.  WTF do I know?  Ease of doing something and doing it correctly and safely are two things that can be miles apart.

Have any of you ever seen the after effects of mistakes made with pressure gas lines?  

I'd hire a plumber or the local gas utility but that's just me.

Plumbers don't make mistakes?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#11]
What type of gas lines are in your basement ? Steel pipe ? Copper tubing  ? CSST ? (flexible stainless tubing usually covered in a yellow plastic covering) They also make a outdoor hose with a quick disconnect for grills. Basically a glorified air hose fitting designed for gas. I need to know how far your run is and the total btu of the grill to size the pipe correctly. I did propane for many years and natural gas is pretty much the same. They just operate at different pressure.

When dealing with gas coming from inside your home I really recommend having a pro do it if you are not 100% positive on what you are doing. Gas leaks are nothing to fool with.

If you already have a regulator at the meter coming into the home you may not need one at the grill. Sometimes with a long run it will drop the pressure to much and a NG regulator won't work well. You can two stage the sytem but we are getting complicated and beyond what a home owner should do.Depends on the pressure being supplied to the home. We have a meter that tells us the operating pressure at the appliance. Most gas stoves and furnaces have a regulator or a gas valve at the appliance. On a long run to a grill you may or may not need that.

I would put a ball valve inside at the "T" going out and also one at the end where a Quick disconnect hose should be used. For outdoor lines I like steel pipe. Much more durable to a errant nail or weed trimmers. I have natural gas in my home but prefer to use propane tanks. I don't like a never ending supply of gas being fed to a BBQ. Seen people forget to turn them off and they run for days. I like a tank for safety. Just me.

http://www.gpta.net/Classes/Gas%20sizing/Gaspip.e%20Sizing.pdf

This is a good link that deals with gas pressure and length of run. Helps you take the total BTU load on your system and determine the correct pipe size for an application. Looks complicated but is really just basic math. Not hard if you have done it once or twice. A BBQ is pretty forgiving and as long as the size is close you should not have a problem. Proper pressure at the grill is key to having a BBQ or a Chinese Wok when you are finished.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#12]
If you decide to do it, do it right, there are pressure testing standards depending upon your locale.

When I extended my line, I used black iron 1/2" pipe and pressure tested it to 20# psi for 8 hours, which exceeds the standards here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#13]
OP:

Where is the nearest spot you can tap into the gas line?  

I've done many gas line projects.  From a on demand water heater, to a 6 burner range that has a 200K BTU output, to my BBQ which I converted myself from propane to NG.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It is pretty damn easy to check for leaks

All you need is a lighter.

Er, make that a spray bottle of soapy water.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#15]
My next grill will be NG, but I took the easy route and had them add an exterior valve when they built the house.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#16]
you need to change the orifice on the grill from LP to natural gas, for starters..
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My next grill will be NG, but I took the easy route and had them add an exterior valve when they built the house.  

Same here.

I added a quick disconnect and an external shutoff valve so I can easily connect different grills, smokers, etc....

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you need to change the orifice on the grill from LP to natural gas, for starters..

You can buy grills already setup for natural gas. Jenn-Air and a few others sell a NG ready outdoor BBQ. Put one in for my brother factory ready for NG. Thought I would need the conversion kit but they sell it for propane or natural.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I added a quick disconnect and an external shutoff valve so I can easily connect different grills, smokers, etc....

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/101063457.jpg

That looks like a safe and proper setup. Guy did a nice job.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#20]
My dad had a guy from the gas company do it when he replaced the falling down old grill that was existing when we bought the house with a new one . The outside connection was already there, but needed all new fittings and pipes to go with the new grill. My dad used to be a plumber and doesn't fuck with gas.

Works great.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#21]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1340313_So_____A_house_blew_up_in_my_subdivision_this_morning____.html
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

black iron
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What type of gas lines are in your basement ? Steel pipe ? Copper tubing  ? CSST ? (flexible stainless tubing usually covered in a yellow plastic covering) They also make a outdoor hose with a quick disconnect for grills. Basically a glorified air hose fitting designed for gas. I need to know how far your run is and the total btu of the grill to size the pipe correctly. I did propane for many years and natural gas is pretty much the same. They just operate at different pressure.

When dealing with gas coming from inside your home I really recommend having a pro do it if you are not 100% positive on what you are doing. Gas leaks are nothing to fool with.

If you already have a regulator at the meter coming into the home you may not need one at the grill. Sometimes with a long run it will drop the pressure to much and a NG regulator won't work well. You can two stage the sytem but we are getting complicated and beyond what a home owner should do.Depends on the pressure being supplied to the home. We have a meter that tells us the operating pressure at the appliance. Most gas stoves and furnaces have a regulator or a gas valve at the appliance. On a long run to a grill you may or may not need that.

I would put a ball valve inside at the "T" going out and also one at the end where a Quick disconnect hose should be used. For outdoor lines I like steel pipe. Much more durable to a errant nail or weed trimmers. I have natural gas in my home but prefer to use propane tanks. I don't like a never ending supply of gas being fed to a BBQ. Seen people forget to turn them off and they run for days. I like a tank for safety. Just me.

http://www.gpta.net/Classes/Gas%20sizing/Gaspip.e%20Sizing.pdf

This is a good link that deals with gas pressure and length of run. Helps you take the total BTU load on your system and determine the correct pipe size for an application. Looks complicated but is really just basic math. Not hard if you have done it once or twice. A BBQ is pretty forgiving and as long as the size is close you should not have a problem. Proper pressure at the grill is key to having a BBQ or a Chinese Wok when you are finished.

I won't touch it unless I'm 100% certain, the way an annoying engineer nerd is certain, about doing it properly.

The run of pipe would be black iron and would be around 10 feet.   The inside gas pipe is 3 feet from the wall adjacent to the deck, it would run straight out the wall, maybe 5 feet under  the kitchen sunroom thing and then up a few feet.

It would be exposed to the elements but underneath the kitchen outcropping sun room thing, to use the proper architectural terminology.

The problem with having it done professionally is that i live in an area full of rich fucks in mansions and everything gets doubled or tripled in price.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

black iron

3/4 black iron pipe off a "T" going outside is what I would use. I would put a ball valve at each end but I am a safety nut. One ball valve at the outlet is probably code. As long as the run is less then 50 ft 3/4 pipe will work fine. The new grill should have a regulator. Use it unless you are having a pressure problem. If the pressure is to low sometimes the regulator won't work properly. I have run them without the regulator at the grill but I knew what the pressure was before I removed it. With only a 10 ft run you should not have any pressure issues and should be a straight forward job. The picture in this thread is how it should look coming out of the house.

Get a hose with a quick disconnect.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/101063457.jpg

Same here

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top