Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 2:57:14 PM EDT
I replaced the new fangled plastic control gizmo in a half bath toilet when it crapped out with one of the old fashioned bronze ball controled affairs. Really substantial, I thought this would be the last one I needed. After several months, when it is flushed and near the end of the fill up cycle it starts to hum and moan for about 15 seconds. When you take the top off, the bronze standpipe part is vibrating, you can see "waves" coming out from it in the water. If I turn on the cold water in the sink next to it the noise ceases faster than if I let it run it's course. Just called home and was told it REALLY had a spell. Any way to fix it, or just go back to the cheapo rig?

ETA: when I turned the water back on I only went about 3/4 of a turn. No vibration- sorry gals. Too much pressure on the lines? Takes longer to fill but so what? Anyone sending a bill for dubious advice should include a copy of your local business license and a Tax ID #.

On a Dell Dimension XPS w/ Windows XP, why does the thing come ON after the power fails and then is restored? Can't find anything in Control Panels or in the Dell software. This just started after I upgraded from NT.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Duck, It's about to blow'd up......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I turned off the supply when I saw the note at lunch. I'm afraid it's vibrating so hard it might crack the toilet. You can hear it at the other end of the house.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
What does it hum?

F**k, I wasted my last post until New Years eve on that!!!

Oh, and to the guy with the virus - you are soooooooooo screwed!

The 10mm dude - once you go 10 you'll never go back.  Love my 1066.  Glock is still in the box.

Now I've got to go back and find post #2004 or New Year's Eve will be ruined!!!  Hep, hep, hep!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
hummm job
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
These double headers don't have moving parts..

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
This calls for a video capture!

Consider the money to be made by selling your invention to lonely women all over the country!  If you could duplicate the vibration you would be a gazilliionare!

Sounds like you need to adjust the shut off point either by extending the ball(float) out a couple turns or by adjusting the stop the valve.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude,

Just replace it with a Fluidmaster plastic fill valve and be done with it.

Dont use that old fashioned crap anymore.

Take you 15 minutes tops to replace it.

My bill is on the way to you.

Btw, you might have water hammer in your lines.

Thats another $150 you owe me.

Dram out
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On a Dell Dimension XPS w/ Windows XP, why does the thing come ON after the power fails and then is restored? Can't find anything in Control Panels or in the Dell software. This just started after I upgraded from NT.

The setting is in your BIOS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dude,

Dram out

+1

Good advice. Also you might want to replace the supply valve...could be a loose washer in that puppy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The setting is in your BIOS.

The man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]

when it is flushed and near the end of the fill up cycle it starts to hum and moan for about 15 seconds. When you take the top off, the bronze standpipe part is vibrating, you can see "waves" coming out from it in the water.

Sounds like a girlfriend I used to have.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude,

Supply valves are generally wayyyy out of the league of MOST homeowners.

But not all.

If it is on galvanized pipe.... oooh brother look the frick out.

Dram(theplumbin'man)out
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Right click on My Computer>Properties>advanced tab>startup and recovery

Remove checkmark beside  automatically restart
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That will only change the computer's behaviour after a blue screen of death (BSOD).  The powering on after a power failure is changed in the bios.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That will only change the computer's behaviour after a blue screen of death (BSOD).  The powering on after a power failure is changed in the bios.

Not on PC's I have worked on. Thats why I said that.

Worked on my last PC, and on my new one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Dude, that's not it!  He's talking about a power failure!  hehe

It's a setting in the BIOS.  Not sure how it's labelled, but it will be something like "power state" or "last known power state".

It's basically a setting that will start a machine up if it loses power... so you don't have to get a call at 3am, get on your clothes, get in the car freezing your ass off, drive to the office, get into the office, find the damn machine, and push the power button.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a setting in the BIOS.  Not sure how it's labelled, but it will be something like "power state" or "last known power state".

It's basically a setting that will start a machine up if it loses power... so you don't have to get a call at 3am, get on your clothes, get in the car freezing your ass off, drive to the office, get into the office, find the damn machine, and push the power button.  

Read my post above yours. It works on my PC's that way.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read my post above yours. It works on my PC's that way.

Congratulations. Your PCs are not his PC.

The only way to guarantee ANY machine will stay off after a power flux is the BIOS setting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Congratulations. Your PCs are not his PC.

The only way to guarantee ANY machine will stay off after a power flux is the BIOS setting.

Can you really garuntee ANYTHING that has to do with a PC? Hey, he asked how to fix it, and I said what has worked for me. He can try it it if he wants. What works for some will work for others.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dude,

Dram out

At one time in my life I had about 300 toilets to keep running.  Listen to this man.  When I have the tank drained, I replace the pos bolts that attach the tank to the bowl if they are not brass or SS, but I don't recommend this to DIYs because you can easily destroy the toilet.  I'd also check the water presssure.  I prefer to keep it under 50 psi.  I put a 'shock stop' on my house because I don't like to hear the pipes rattle when the washing machine or the dishwasher valves close.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

when it is flushed and near the end of the fill up cycle it starts to hum and moan for about 15 seconds. When you take the top off, the bronze standpipe part is vibrating, you can see "waves" coming out from it in the water.

Sounds like a girlfriend I used to have.

15 seconds, huh? She must have been EXHAUSTED!

I'll try the right click, if that doesn't work I'll shell out the 80 bucks for a new APC battery for my UPS. It was a freebie and worked for years. Never had the problem with it online. I ain't stumbling around in no BIOS. Path of least resistance. Thanks all for the tips. The hive is all-powerful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top