Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:48:04 PM EDT
My home is approximately three years old.  Over the last couple of months, I have noticed that the water level in both of my toilets have not been filling up to the height that they did originally.  It has been a VERY slow gradual process, but it has finally reached the point where I should do something about it.

Now - WTF should I do?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they both going down to the same level at the same time?

[hijack]SHIVAN......you are lurking aren't you?[/hijack]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Adjust the float in the tank.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Mine have a hose that fits in the drain that helps fills the bowl.
I think the problem he is having is the bowl level not the tank level.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are they both going down to the same level at the same time?

[hijack]SHIVAN......you are lurking aren't you?[/hijack]

They share the same basic rate of decline.

They do not go down at the same time though.  The bowl has just gradually not refilled to the same height over the last couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine have a hose that fits in the drain that helps fills the bowl.
I think the problem he is having is the bowl level not the tank level.

Right.

The bowl, not the tank.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Flush it and look in the tank. Make sure that the hose that comes out of the float in the tank is putting water in the OVERFLOW DRAIN, and not into the tank.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Flush it and look in the tank. Make sure that the hose that comes out of the float in the tank is putting water in the OVERFLOW DRAIN, and not into the tank.

Okay, just checked that.  It looked fine to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it leaking anywhere around the float valve?

What I am getting at is that to fully fill the bowl that hose needs to put alot of extra water into that drain.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it leaking anywhere around the float valve?

What I am getting at is that to fully fill the bowl that hose needs to put alot of extra water into that drain.

When I flush, there are some bubbles, but only when I initially flush - I'm assuming that is part of the process.

BTW, here's a visual of the offender for ya...

The bubbles come from the bottom black gasket on the left.  When I flush, there is a circle of bubbles and then no more when the tank starts to refill.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Just replace that worn out crusty, nasty mutha.........

I really think as cheap as those thing are I would just replace it.
It probably has build up in the valve were the hose is coming out limiting the amout of water it puts into the bowl, before the float fills up the tank and shuts off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just replace that worn out crusty, nasty mutha.........

I really think as cheap as those thing are I would just replace it.
It probably has build up in the valve were the hose is coming out limiting the amout of water it puts into the bowl, before the float fills up the tank and shuts off.

Replace what?

Keep in mind that I'm not a toiletologist and refer to most of what I see that as "that thingy there."
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Doodie bump.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Replace the entire float and valve.

It is very easy, go to Wally World or Lowes or Home Depot and buy a replacement and read the instructions and you will be able to handle it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It is very easy, go to Wally World or Lowes or Home Depot and buy a replacement and read the instructions and you will be able to handle it.

Okey-doke.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okey-doke.  Thanks.

Look for a "Fluidmaster" brand, model 400A.  Used to use these all the time when I did my plumbing stint.  Easy to install, and a lot better design (IMHO) than the ball-type you have.  Most new toilets come with the Fluidmaster style.

HTH

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okey-doke.  Thanks.

Look for a "Fluidmaster" brand, model 400A.  Used to use these all the time when I did my plumbing stint.  Easy to install, and a lot better design (IMHO) than the ball-type you have.  Most new toilets come with the Fluidmaster style.

HTH

That model will fit my tank?  Or are they a one size fits all kind of thing?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okey-doke.  Thanks.

HTH

One size fits all.  I wish I had a pic, I'm too lazy to google right now.  Basically, you will take your whole fill assembly out where the fill tube fits in the bottom of the tank.  That will allow you to lift the ball/cock assembly out.  The Fluidmaster will then fit back in, only it has no arm/ball.  It is a "self contained" unit.  Hook back up, read the instructions, and away you go.  A much better style than what you have.  Should be about 8 bucks at the local hardware/home center.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okey-doke.  Thanks.

HTH

One size fits all.  I wish I had a pic, I'm too lazy to google right now.  Basically, you will take your whole fill assembly out where the fill tube fits in the bottom of the tank.  That will allow you to lift the ball/cock assembly out.  The Fluidmaster will then fit back in, only it has no arm/ball.  It is a "self contained" unit.  Hook back up, read the instructions, and away you go.  A much better style than what you have.  Should be about 8 bucks at the local hardware/home center.

heh-heh...

you said "ball/cock."
thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

heh-heh...

you said "ball/cock."

Dude, one thing I learned while plumbing was that it's real tough to talk about the job without using such language.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
You talking about one of these things?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top