Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 4:04:54 PM EDT
I'm re-doing the bathroom in my basement.  The sewer line sits right on the basement floor.  I'm adding a pit and a sewer ejection pump, so I can install a shower without building a platform.  Here's the picture:

The stud on the floor represents the wall separating the bathroom from the laundry room.  The photo is taken from the laundry room side.  The bathroom will extend well into the junk at the edge of the picture.

Here's the question.  I did not buy a pump just yet.  I'll spend the $ for a pump that will last 10 years and sized big enough to handle a shower, sink, toilet, and 60 gallon jacuzzi tub (occasionally).  How close do I need to dig the pit to the sewer connection?  Can I pump the waste up to, say, 36 inches and then let it gravity feed to the connection?  I'm tearing out a wall in the bathroom above this area and am planning to run a vent line up to the roof.

Any info/comments/suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't have any problems.  3' of head is nothing for these pumps.  Now if it was 30 ft. that would be different.  

What size cistern are you putting in?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My only warning on septic ejector pumps.  If your groundwater gets high in the spring, it will be going off alot just from ground water getting in, if you don't seal up the foundation and pump container well.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You shouldn't have any problems.  3' of head is nothing for these pumps.  Now if it was 30 ft. that would be different.  

What size cistern are you putting in?

It's to the right of the picture.  It is 18 inches wide by 36 inches tall.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That's about the size of the one I use for my whole house.  You should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My only warning on septic ejector pumps.  If your groundwater gets high in the spring, it will be going off alot just from ground water getting in, if you don't seal up the foundation and pump container well.

I already installed a sump pump a few years ago.  I have to add water to it every once and a while just to get it to run.  The only water it ever gets is from the de-humidifier.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's about the size of the one I use for my whole house.  You should be fine.

Now, the pump.  Do I need to keep the cistern close to the sewer inlet, or can I run the piping in the wall (no more then 136 inches) over to the sewer main.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top