Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2004 3:29:40 PM EST
My toilet has been leaking somewhere but I can't figure it out. There is no water on the floor but when I look into the bowl, I can see water running down where it fills up after you flush. I replaced all the inner guts, seals, etc in and between the resevoir and bowl but it didn't help. It will refill every 10 minutes or so. Any ideas before I go buy a new toilet? I didn't see any cracks either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:32:58 PM EST
I think its something in the water here....

Mine's been doing almost the same thing -- of course, being in an apt, if it ain't simple, i just make the maintnance people deal with it -- which reminds me I need to call them again and bitch some more so they'll actually get out here and do something.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:34:13 PM EST
Where's that plumber that made a post about wanting to form an Arfcom mutual aid society when you need him? Anybody remember his name?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:45:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 3:46:26 PM EST by MT_Pockets]
I can help you out...

What brand of toilet..

What parts did you replace? Did you replace the Flapper and the Flush Valve?

MT
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:47:32 PM EST
The flapper valve in the tank is leaking. Look inside the bottom of the tank. If that isnt it, you fill valve is set too high or worn out. Very simple problem. Ops
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:50:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 3:53:24 PM EST by 11Binf]
hi partner :i'm a maint.guy at an large apt. complex here in arizona....i think i know what the problem is..i have had countless problems with water "slipping" in the back of the toilet bowl....so go to home depot and get a new (fluid master) thats the brand name, for your toilet..this device regulates how much water you get in the tank and its way better than the old ball/cock float type period.....when you go to install it make sure the black tube water supply line goes from the fluid master to a white plastic water diverter arm which clips (make sure it clips) to the top of the flush valve tube ...this is the crux of your problem with water slipping in the bowl....do not tuck the black tube water supply line inside the flush valve tube or yes you will have problems....also check your flapper it could also be warpped.....vince g. 11b inf.......
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:52:39 PM EST
Also check the surface of the Flush Valve where the Flapper seats...it could be pitted or rough.

MT
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:03:56 PM EST
It is a Fluidmaster system but the black supply line does not clip to the top. It runs into a hole and then down into the tube. I pulled it out of the tube most of the way, just enough in there to keep the water from going outside the tube. The flapper is not warped that I can tell, but it is smooth, not rough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:10:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ops:
The flapper valve in the tank is leaking. Look inside the bottom of the tank. If that isnt it, you fill valve is set too high or worn out. Very simple problem. Ops

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:15:03 PM EST
ok were halfway there...you can buy the white water diverter arm buy itself ...or simply jeryrig the water supply tube to shoot the water directly into the toilet tank and by pass the flushvalve tube....do not replace the water supply line back into the flush valve tube...i have had great luck with this way and it prevents the water from slipping in the back of the bowl....please try it... vince g. 11b inf..
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:16:04 PM EST
It's fixed! I pulled the feed line out a little and that fixed it. Thanks all, especially 11Binf, that tip solved the problem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:23:43 PM EST
also do'nt panic your toilet bowl will still fill up with water correctly..after you do this stuff...just need to figure out a way to secure the water supply line to the flush valve tube without shooting water between the tank lid and the tank....the problem would be solved with that white water diverter arm that comes with the fluid master kit... but in lieu of that please jery rig something.. i'm almost sure thats your problem... vince g 11b inf..
Top Top