Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/22/2005 11:47:11 AM EST
Rather than trouble the landlord (and wait several days), I want to clear a clog (probably minerals) in the kitchen faucet.

The H20 is turned on full, but only a thin dribble comes out....the dish hose/spray works fine. The flow out of the faucet is getting progressively worse.

I need to know how to take the thing apart to clean out the minerals (most likely source of the problem).

I believe it is some kind of a generic brand--basically, two sinks, one arm that swings over either sink, and the water temp/flow is controlled by a single lever (up to turn on, left for hot, right for cold). I can take the lever off (allen screw), and am left with a ball and stick (lots of minerals on top of ball) that the lever arm attaches to. Don't see a way to remove anymore parts from the top.

Under the sink there are two studs and nuts on them holding the works down.

Wondering how to get it cleaned out.


Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:56:32 AM EST
Get some CLR lime and scale remover.
put some in a plastic bowl that you could be able to dip the part where the water comes out in.

IF it foams ther is mineral buildup in it and this will take it out.

It may take some time and repeated applications but after the 1st few try to unsrew the areator and then you can soak in overnight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:59:21 AM EST
Do I have to go under the sink and unscrew the nuts from the studs? Or, is there a way to disassemble it from above?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:04:23 PM EST
See if the end of the arm can be taken off. Most likely, the buildup is in the aerator, anywat. They clag and also catch stuff that slow the flow. Just be careful not to scratch it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:07:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:08:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By AFARR:
Do I have to go under the sink and unscrew the nuts from the studs? Or, is there a way to disassemble it from above?


Nope just work on the end of the arm where the water comes out
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:10:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By AFARR:

Do I have to go under the sink and unscrew the nuts from the studs?...

No sex talk in GD.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:58:51 PM EST
Actually--looks like the problem is further back than the aerator. I can remove the aerator and still get no flow. The aerator was clogged with minerals and I had already cleaned it out.


Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:36:47 PM EST
Find the main valve that feeds everything and turn it off. It is the one that supplies the tub, sink, toilet, water heater, and everythin else ya' got.

Open the sink valve to bleed system pressure. Maybe the tub, too, to relieve more pressure.
Figure some way to get the CLR up inot the kitchen faucet, maybe a turkey baster or something. Spray or otherwise force the solent up into the pipes. Wait a while, hours maybe.

Reopen the main valve and flush system.
Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:37:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:45:16 PM EST
jeesh why all this trouble over a damn faucet? i bought a new kitchen faucet the other day for 30 bones. sure its a cheapy but i aint impressin folks with my hose anyway.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:56:20 AM EST
No broken water lines. Everything else in the house seems to work fine.

aint impressin folks with my hose anyway.

--(hold back, hold back, breathe deep, breathe deep,..........ahhh, over the need to make a crude comment on that one....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:58:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:25:47 PM EST
Go buy a faucet. In the end thats what you're going to do anyway.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:30:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 2:35:13 PM EST by flatfender]
If you have full power at the hose it sounds like the diverter valve (for the spray hose) is stuck or has some crap in it. You'll need to shut the water off, remove the handle, the ball and pull the spout up and off the faucet. The should be a little diverter valve in the front or rear of the brass body that can be removed and cleaned or replaced. The diverter valve switches the flow from the spout and the spray hose and sometimes gets stuck on just one position.

I don't know what kind of faucet you have but here's a Delta faucet diverter

Here's an exploded view of a typical delta faucet. notice the diverter valve left center
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:23:40 PM EST

Thanks!! Pulled the handle & spout off, and there was a bunch of large particulate minerals (the size of coarse salt grains) inside--cleaned it out well and it works great.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:06:58 PM EST
You're welcome. Glad to help.
Top Top