Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 10:40:49 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/katrina.impact/index.html

This is the part that really bothers me:

"Mayo said the state is asking for doctors, nurses and emergency medical technicians from neighboring states for their help. Those who want to assist should contact their state's licensing board, which should then get in touch with Mississippi's board for accreditation"

Surely, I am reading this wrong and they are NOT preventing medical folks from treating folks in the area due to problems with transferring their medical licenses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:41:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By banthony1:
www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/katrina.impact/index.html

This is the part that really bothers me:

"Mayo said the state is asking for doctors, nurses and emergency medical technicians from neighboring states for their help. Those who want to assist should contact their state's licensing board, which should then get in touch with Mississippi's board for accreditation"

Surely, I am reading this wrong and they are NOT preventing medical folks from treating folks in the area due to problems with transferring their medical licenses.

Why would you assume they are not? It's buracracy at it's best!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:42:37 AM EDT
You'd rather have unverified docs and nurses treating the injured? Sounds like they just want to make sure the volunteers are the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:43:35 AM EDT
Certs can vary greatly from region to region.

Don't want to get sued, don't ya' know.

Sad that in time of need this is the determining factor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:46:41 AM EDT
They have to cover their asses from the Army of lawyers that will be on site before the relief workers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:48:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By uncle_frank:
They have to cover their asses from the Army of lawyers that will be on site before the relief workers.

Bingo.

Yet more fun brought to us by the idiot libs. When we speak of tort reform, we are speaking of EXACTLY this kind of thing being done away with.

Any lawyer who looks at this hurricane as an opportunity to make some money ought to be shot alongside the looters.

There is no moral difference.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:49:17 AM EDT
It's a CYA thing. As an EMT, if I'm driving down the road in another state, and come upon an accident,
I can treat the victims within the scope of my training, and my butt is covered by the Good Samaritan
laws.

But if I am going into another state with the intended purpose of rendering medical aid, I would need
to make sure that my training meets that state's requirements for licensing. Make sure that they are
equivalent. So that if (God forbid!) anything should happen, and my actions bring further harm to the
patient, I'd be covered due to the attorneys being able to verify that I had the necessary training,
and that I hadn't been doing something that I wasn't trained for.

Clear as mud?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:35:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanker06:

Clear as mud?

I guess so, but it would be a pretty bad excuse and a possible lawsuit, if the Doctor was dealing with licensing paperwork when folks were bleeding all around him.
Top Top