Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/24/2005 11:56:44 AM EDT
Im at work and were trying to find what brands of 9mm +P+ there are out on the market. please give me a hand here. im looking for like a 147 or 124, something with some weight to it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:59:27 AM EDT
Just look for Win. Ranger's..+p+............good stuff for 9mm. later, W.B.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:59:58 AM EDT
Federal HydraShok 124gr+p+
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:01:49 PM EDT
Speer Gold Dot
124gr +P+
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:06:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SFR:
Im at work and were trying to find what brands of 9mm +P+ there are out on the market. please give me a hand here. im looking for like a 147 or 124, something with some weight to it.

Honest question:

Considering how the best-performing 9mm loads in any and all decent ammo tests are the mid-to heavy-weight bullets, at NON+P+ velocities, why is there a thread somewhere every week on arfcom asking about +P+ ammo?

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:28:15 PM EDT
Hirtenberg L7A1
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:31:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Honest question:

Considering how the best-performing 9mm loads in any and all decent ammo tests are the mid-to heavy-weight bullets, at NON+P+ velocities, why is there a thread somewhere every week on arfcom asking about +P+ ammo?

+1

Why is there such an irrational desire for +P+ ??

Make you feel more manly or something?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:32:10 PM EDT

Honest question:

[sarcasm]Because speed kills[/sarcasm]

The sad fact is less than 10% of the people on this board have a clue about ammunition performance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:07:42 PM EDT
After 2,000 rounds of winchester white box 115 grain fmj's I've never had a ftf or fte. That's all I keep in my gun. If it's been that reliable for practice, why take a chance and switch to something else. I think hitting someone with this bullet will stop them just as quick as any other 9mm out there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:09:03 PM EDT
no such thing as a 147 +p+, only in 124's and lower

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:09:40 PM EDT

Honest question:

link?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:10:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mmanwitgun:

Honest question:

link?

You want a link to ammo tests, or a link to the weekly 'dumb thread about carry ammo' thread?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:21:21 PM EDT
Fine.

Here's a link specifically discussing Speer Gold Dots.

Notice that the +P, NOT the +P+ is recommended in barrel lengths less than 4".

Doctor Gary Roberts in particular recommends the following loadings for 9mm:

Barnes 105 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger Talon 127 gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger Talon 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

OK - there *is* one +P+ loading in there, but why bother?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:29:29 PM EDT
I bought a bunch of Remington 115 gr JHP +P+ for my Glocks and CZs. Probably would not do it again.

Not bad though:

4.25 in barrel
1221 fps
bare gelatin: 10.8 in penetration/.63 in expansion
clothed gelatin 10.9 in penetration /.62 in expansion
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:33:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Honest question:

+1

No, but it puts a hell of a fireball out of my P226!!! Holy Shit!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:36:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Federal HydraShok 124gr+p+

I used to carry those until I heard about them not expanding due to the cavity filling with the clothing of the target. Gold dots now for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
Try the PMC Starfire loading in 9mm. It is a 124 Grain bullet loaded at the top of the SAAMI specs, without being designated +P+. Out of a Glock 17 it runs about 1250( +/- ) FPS, that's pretty quick. Also pretty accurate too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:45:24 PM EDT

Honest question:

+1

why do people think "wanting to push a 9mm to a higher level" is irrational?

make me feel more manly? you must be a .45 guy
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:49:03 PM EDT

Honest question:

+1

It'sd not a matter of more velocity automatically being a bad thing. It's just that there are loads that perform better than most +P+ loads, but with less recoil/flash. It would be prudent to use those loads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
I'm not sure why one choses to buy a 9*19 handgun, then only feeds it +P+. If you wanted a more powerful pistol, why didn't you just buy one...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:59:09 PM EDT
This thread degenerated quickly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:02:40 PM EDT
get your self a .38spcl and load 158gr +P LSWCHP
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:48:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
I'm not sure why one choses to buy a 9*19 handgun, then only feeds it +P+. If you wanted a more powerful pistol, why didn't you just buy one...

i did. i carry a .357sig but i was curious about the 9mm +P and +P+ loads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
In my 2 9mm handguns, I carry the defensive load thats most accurate.

In my P-228, the load that works best is the 127gr. +P+ Winchester Ranger SXT T-series. The new 124gr.+P with the same bullet works well, but I'm gonna shoot up the last of my 127grainers.

In my P-225, the 147gr. Rangers SXT Teries work best.

In DocGKRs revised list, all three of these loads are considered good for 9mm usage.

I am of the belief that bonded flavored defensive cartridges are best all around.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:53:46 PM EDT

Honest question:

+1

It'sd not a matter of more velocity automatically being a bad thing. It's just that there are loads that perform better than most +P+ loads, but with less recoil/flash. It would be prudent to use those loads.

I really do not notice any difference between Winchester white box and +P+ Remington out of my G17.
Top Top