Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 5:36:35 AM EDT
We had our neighbors over last night for some adult beverages and decided to play a game.  We played a round of Trivial Pursuit which the wives didn't like because me and my neighbor are full of useless facts and the game wasn't as fun for the ladies.

Anyway, we broke out scrabble, but to make things interesting we also allowed "Ebonics" words which needed to be used in a sentance and approved by the group to count.

For example: Boof - A young couple entered the restaurant and asked to be seated at a "boof", not a table.

It made the game more interesting.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The PC police will be along shortly to call this racist!
IBTL
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#2]
How can it be racist when that's recognized as a variation of Engrish now and they want to teach it in school?  (not that I agree with that)

ETA: IBTL 'cause who knows, it might really go south from here...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTL

Dirty scrabble is more fun though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
i think you could be onto something. perhaps i'll get a scrabble game just for this variation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
That's funny, I have to AXE ...was that PC??
my first IBTL
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
i don't care who ya are that's funny right there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
word...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Fo shizzle.....I be IBDL

(In Befow Da Lock)
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Mufucka should be on one tile by it's self since it is spoken so frequently and fast while sheeeeeeeit should be allowed at least 7 "e"s due to it's drawn out pronunciation.  The game should come with at least 100 "d"s due to the mispronunciation of words starting with TH.

{Yosimite Sam} Ahhh hates me some ebonics{Yosemite Sam}
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I be knowin how to spel farm, E I E I O
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
PC or no PC, it is racist.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#12]
What really made the game was listening to my bleach white, country raised wife use the words in a sentence.  We would only allow the points to count if the sentence was convincing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

'Splain how that is.  Follow this line of thinking for a moment:

1) Some blacks begin speaking in a slang, to the point where it is commonly used
   in their community.

2)  Teachers decide it would be easier to communicate with their students
     if they used this slang.

3)  An "official" language is developed called "Ebonics" or "Ebony Phonics"

Now, how is it racist for a white person to use this language.  Am I a racist
because I can speak German or Spanish?

Now tell me again how it is racist.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, but which race? 200 years and one still can't speak English?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

no its not racist. Look up the term racist for once in your life.

What it is, is ethnocentrism. It has nothing to do with ones race but rather their culture.

Welcome to 13th grade
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
word...

Not to be a spelling natzie(empasis on first cybal) but its Wurd
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, what?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
word...

dammit, you win!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't see how it can be racist since its a pure and simple fact that many blacks talk this way.  It would be the same as playing a pure country/backwoods version of the game as many white have improper english also.  But I imagine those calling racist are doing it just because we are discussing anything to do with black people, and if thats the case then those individuals just need to STFU.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, what?  

My family came here during WWII, they all learned to speak English correctly. There are thousands that live in the US from foreign countries (think Asian) that have learned to speak English, not some lazy marble mouth slang.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone who thinks that only Black American's have a subset of their population who speak ebonics are only kidding themselves.  90% of the youths I hear speaking ebonics are white gansta/thug wannabe's.

Our intention of poking fun at ebonics through a board game is definately not directed at any race, but at poeple who can't speak english properly even if it is their first language.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Don't you just love the people on this site that live to post "racist"
or on every thread they can. What are you trying to get? An award for most PC guy on ARFCOM?

It's funny. Period. Stop trying to make it into something else.

Here's a dollar. Go downtown and buy yourself a sense of humor.

Sheesh.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anyone who thinks that only Black American's have a subset of their population who speak ebonics are only kidding themselves.  90% of the youths I hear speaking ebonics are white gansta/thug wannabe's.

Our intention of poking fun at ebonics through a board game is definately not directed at any race, but at poeple who can't speak english properly even if it is their first language.

It's called the "Urbanization of America"
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I ran by 7-eleven.  Thankfully, they had some sense of humor in stock.  All is better now.  Carry on.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Original post.....in Ebonics..

Yo buss dis. We had our neighbors ovuh las night fuh some adult beverages an' decided to play a game. We played a roun' uh Trivial Pursuit which de hoes didn't likes because me an' my neighbor be full uh useless facts an' de game wuzn't as fun fuh de hoes. Anyway, we broke out scrabble, but to make thins interestin we also allowed "Ebonics" words which needed to be uset in a sentance an' approved by de group to count. fuh example: Bouh - A young couple entard de restaurant an' axeed to be seated at a "boof", not a table. It made de game mo interestin. Sheeit!    
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#26]
This shit is whack, G.  Therefore ITBL.  And LOL.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
word...

werd!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top