Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2017 5:15:00 PM EDT
Is there any good reason why I can not use plastic gas tank for hauling diesel?
I need to haul about 40 gallons of diesel to remote area to fuel up a generator and all I have are those red plastic gas tank from Walmart.
This will be just one time use kind of thing so I don't want to spend a lot of money to buy "diesel" tanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
can of yellow spraypaint?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used them for years.
I just mark the sides with a black sharpie to keep them separated from the ones for gas.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It's fine, but make sure you don't cross contaminate the fuel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Does color matter?
Is there a law requiring use of yellow color can to transport diesel?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used them for years.
I just mark the sides with a black sharpie to keep them separated from the ones for gas.
View Quote

Same here. I use the motorcycle jugs to get away from all that EPA shit.  Take a large Sharpie and write "diesel" on the side so someone not familiar doesn't dump it in a gas motor.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does color matter?
Is there a law requiring use of yellow color can to transport diesel?
View Quote
Doubt it, just that is an acceptable container. Ie not a milk jug. Or a glass bottle ala mexico. 

CA is prob different. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
can of yellow spraypaint?
View Quote

This. Pre ban too. FBHO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, this is not CA, it's middle FL where redneck projects are way of life.
I have about 6 plastic red tanks that are empty and dry so I'll just use them and then let them drain and dry out before I use them for gas in future.
It's going to be used for diesel just this one time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
you seriously have to ask if you can use your own cans for diesel? seriously? If I wanted to transport it in balloons I would just do it. I swear you guys all miss your parents telling you what to do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Just make sure there is no gasoline, at all, left in the cans. If it was me, I'd probably be super paranoid and put 1/2 gallon of diesel in one of the cans, use it to rinse out the interior, then transfer to the next can, rinsing out all of the cans, then just burn off the 1/2 gallon somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just make sure there is no gasoline, at all, left in the cans. If it was me, I'd probably be super paranoid and put 1/2 gallon of diesel in one of the cans, use it to rinse out the interior, then transfer to the next can, rinsing out all of the cans, then just burn off the 1/2 gallon somewhere.
View Quote

That's not a bad idea. I'll do that just to be safe.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you seriously have to ask if you can use your own cans for diesel? seriously? If I wanted to transport it in balloons I would just do it. I swear you guys all miss your parents telling you what to do.
View Quote

Elactly
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
A little bit of gas in diesel is not a big deal.

It is a common trick to cut diesel up to 10% with gas to prevent gelling during cold times,
if kerosene or other anti-gel additives are not available.

Now, a little diesel in gas, in a gas engine, is another story entirely.
It drops the octane rating A LOT, and will destroy an engine rapidly, via pre-ignition knock.
1% will KILL a gas engine in minutes.

IMHO YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top