Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:28:38 AM EDT
Just a mild rant.

How the hell does a pice of injection molded plastic cost $60? I know the set up and tooling costs are expensive (making molds) but you can buy the clones for $10. That is a hell of a price difference. Is it a difference in materials? I will assume the cheap ones are made overseas and the "name brand" (KAC, Tango down, etc) are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:30:07 AM EDT
My $60 FUG has a blowjob button.

What, yours doesn't?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:30:36 AM EDT
Because people are willing to pay for the name. (from someone who has worked around injection molding and stamping)
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:32:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Slavac:

What, yours doesn't?

I was looking at getting a stubby grip from Tango down.

Who knew my USGI KAC grip retails for $60! There were dumpsters in Iraq full of these things (and rail panels) when I left.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:34:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

What, yours doesn't?

Who knew my USGI KAC grip retails for $60! There were dumpsters in Iraq full of these things (and rail panels) when I left.
The KAC broomstick? God I hate that thing.

Take a look at Larue's grip. It's spendy but ... it has ... the button.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:34:31 AM EDT
The Magpul grips are MOE $20 and RVG $25. Might have to go with one of those.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:35:45 AM EDT

What, yours doesn't?

The KAC broomstick? God I hate that thing.

Take a look at Larue's grip. It's spendy but ... it has ... the button.

I am bitching about price you recommend a $100 fore grip?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:36:36 AM EDT
Unless your making hundreds of thousands, injection molding is not cheap. Combine that and the fact that there are other bits that need to be made and assembled, and US labor, and name factor, you get the $60 part.

How many $20 with quick disconnect are out there that don't suck?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:37:46 AM EDT
People will scream that CAA makes nothing but shit but my stubby grip only cost me 20$ unlike a similar setup that would cost me 3x that. But, but, it has an alan screw. WTF, who needs a quick detach VFG, really?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:39:37 AM EDT
I always thought the FUG was a pretty damn solid piece of gear. Then again, it's not your run of the mill injection molded plastic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:44:34 AM EDT
Just a mild rant.

How the hell does a pice of injection molded plastic cost $60? I know the set up and tooling costs are expensive (making molds) but you can buy the clones for $10. That is a hell of a price difference. Is it a difference in materials? I will assume the cheap ones are made overseas and the "name brand" (KAC, Tango down, etc) are made in the USA.

Because people will pay it.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Guangdong, China, some farmer's 17 year old daughter is working for 11 cents an hour pumping out an airsoft copy that will retail for $9.

Don't be shocked though if you find out that some of the product she makes ends up being sold by the 'real deal' companies....
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:45:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:
People will scream that CAA makes nothing but shit but my stubby grip only cost me 20$ unlike a similar setup that would cost me 3x that. But, but, it has an alan screw. WTF, who needs a quick detach VFG, really?

and who can't stow an allen wrench in their pack or pistol grip storage compartment...
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:47:24 AM EDT
Have you noticed.....The only people that BITCH about price....ARE the ones who can`t afford It.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:47:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

and who can't stow an allen wrench in their pack or pistol grip storage compartment...

I have a magpul PG and that is precisely what I do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:57:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jrgunman:
Have you noticed.....The only people that BITCH about price....ARE the ones who can`t afford It.

By your logic everything in this world is fairly priced. No one should complain about price of anything? I didn't say woe is me, send me a free one. I am trying to understand how a small piece of injection molded plastic with a few screws can cost so much.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:00:16 AM EDT

Except... really... not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:11:00 AM EDT

By your logic everything in this world is fairly priced. No one should complain about price of anything? I didn't say woe is me, send me a free one. I am trying to understand how a small piece of injection molded plastic with a few screws can cost so much.

Becuse people like me with the money to pay for these type of items will ruin it for guys like you, who think its to much and not buy it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:13:08 AM EDT

Becuse people like me with the money to pay for these type of items will ruin it for guys like you, who think its to much and not buy it.

Ok, it's very pretty, now run along home before Daddy finds out you took the Mercedes without asking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:15:21 AM EDT

A wise man once said, "a fool and his money will soon post about it on arfcom."
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2010 9:21:27 AM EDT by Makarov]
You know, this reminds me of when I needed a riser for the Picatinny rail on my flat top AR (basically wanted my optics to clear the front site) so my choices were a $40 RRA riser or a $15 Chinese knock-off that looked identical. I bought the $15 version and it didn't last through the first range session. It kept loosening up and the more I would tighten it the more I realized the steel screw was just chewing the threads of the Aluminun alloy riser. Before the end of the day, the riser was so loose that even Paris Hilton could have held a tighter zero >(o)<. I ended up buying the $40 RRA and had no problems after that. So, in reality the cheap Chinese riser only cost me $55
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:20:20 AM EDT

Because people like me with the money to pay for these type of items will ruin it for guys like you, who think its to much and not buy it.

I can certainly afford a 60$+ VFG. Am I willing to pay that? That's a totally different point, one you seem to have trouble correlating with Cost/Affordability vs. Practicality/Worth.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:21:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By david_g17:

And the little people will rise up and try to defend themselves
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:23:37 AM EDT
I see guys on the EE selling KAC grips (real ones) for like 10-15 bucks. Probably military guys.

If you're looking for QD grips, you're gonna spend some money. Bottom line.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:26:27 AM EDT

What, yours doesn't?

thanks for not bringing me back that dumpster full of loot..
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:26:30 AM EDT

And the little people will rise up and try to defend themselves

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:29:07 AM EDT
If you want something, you buy it , You will pay whatever it costs if you want it bad enuff, Does my buddy and his wife need a 267.000.00 lamborgini, no but they can afford one so why not, Does that make it practical, hell no, would lots of people here like to have one, or atleast the extra cash to own one, hell yes, So just pay the 60.oo dollars for the vert grip and move on with your life and quit worring about things you can`t change. No wonder you have so many posts
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:30:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2010 9:31:52 AM EDT by sjuhockey10]
If you want something, you buy it , You will pay whatever it costs if you want it bad enuff, Does my buddy and his wife need a 267.000.00 lamborgini, no but they can afford one so why not, Does that make it practical, hell no, would lots of people here like to have one, or atleast the extra cash to own one, hell yes, So just pay the 60.oo dollars for the vert grip and move on with your life and quit worring about things you can`t change. No wonder you have so many posts

I've been waiting for this to start showing up.

ETA: Lots of valuable financial advice in this post.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2010 9:37:28 AM EDT by stockshift]

I also believe hielo had a 1,100 sq ft bathroom. Don't you?

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:40:59 AM EDT
The foregrip I bought cost $10. It is on my M4gery and works fine except it's a bitch to remove and replace (so I just leave it on).

The one that came on my 10 year old's airsoft was identical.
Top Top